Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-08-2008, 21:10   #61
Beacon of light

Re: Why we should sterilise teenage girls ... temporarily at least

Long term contraception may lead to reckless sexual activity.......maybe girls think that pregnancy is the only thing to be covered for....but it should be assumed that every partner anyone has(that is, both boys and girls) is carrying an STI.....and take the appropriate precautions(Condoms)....safer sex requires that barrier methods be maintained.
Sexual activity also spreads the HPV that is a precursor to cervical cancer too.
Not that I want to spoil anyone's fun !
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-08-2008, 21:20   #62
God Member

Well I have known many women/girls over the years who seem to look at cashing in on thier children but also see them as a burden.
This happens in all areas where the mum sods off to the pub and couldnt give a fig where the kids were or what they were doing , many whom were fending for themselves to save on childminding fees .
These are the irrisponsable ones who should feel ashamed of themselves, and in most cases you cant blame the father either. The woman/girl is the one who decides to keep the child but then insists on spending her time in the pub with possibly the father.
Sadly it does happen and is quite widespread too .
How anyone can defend these girls is way beyond me.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 22:20   #63
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
Sadly it does happen and is quite widespread too .
How anyone can defend these girls is way beyond me.
Can't see any evidence of anyone defending a single mother of the one that you describe Cherokee. Just how widespread it is, small minority in my opinion, and not a reason to 'sterilise short term' the rest of the country's female teenagers. How would they do it anyway? Forceful contraception would surely be illegal as rape of the human body, and contravening human rights .. ?

The suggestion, at one time, that we should sterilise the mentally ill has never got off the ground, so has no hope with mentally stable young people.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 23:06   #64
God Member

When I say widespread Katex I am referring to the fact that it isnt just happening in one particular area but all over the country. On a whole I believe teenage pregnancies have dropped slightly but there are still girls out there getting pregnant for the wrong reasons.
Teenage pregnancies have always happened , contraception and education is the only way to reduce or even stop this. If there is a way foward to stop a child/young girl throwing her youth away surely its a good thing.
If contraception is so quickly condemned then its no wonder there are debates like this.

As a mother to a teenage lass I do understand the seriousness of discussing contraception. and imo there are many girls out there that not only slip up once but over and over. Surely there is some room for any form of contraception to be discussed.?
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 09:53   #65
Resting in Peace

There was an item on the news yesterday regarding te increase of AIDS, this should at least be a warning to both sexes that unprotected sex is a no no, for both unwanted pregnancies and catching STDs
Old 15-08-2008, 12:04   #66
God Member

Just to clarify, forceful sterilisation DOES occur but it has to be allowed by the court on application. It happens sometimes with women in mental institutes if it is believed to be in their best interest to not get pregnant.

There is a case called Re F that shows this occurring, but I can't remember the year... 2003 perhaps

Obviously there are discussions about human rights and thigns as you say, but if it can be argued that it would harm the woman or baby to allow pregnancy than of course people can intravene, just like women can have their babies taken straight from them once their born by social services.

The problem with THIS is that they think that it is acceptable to do it to all young girls, which is pretty terrible if you ask me. Just because some teenage girls get pregnant to get on benefits doesn't mean that they are the only ones to do it, older women are bound to do it too. You can't just sterilise the ones that look like they might be doing that, who would decide?!

It is just completely stupid, I can't even believe that people are having to discuss whether it is a good idea. I'm pretty sure that there is a woman with a 15yr old daughter who is pregnant on this forum at the moment and I'd love to see whether a grandmother-to-be to one of these 'problems' would agree with this inhumane idea.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 15:52   #67
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Just to clarify, forceful sterilisation DOES occur but it has to be allowed by the court on application. It happens sometimes with women in mental institutes if it is believed to be in their best interest to not get pregnant.

There is a case called Re F that shows this occurring, but I can't remember the year... 2003 perhaps

Obviously there are discussions about human rights and thigns as you say, but if it can be argued that it would harm the woman or baby to allow pregnancy than of course people can intravene, just like women can have their babies taken straight from them once their born by social services.

The problem with THIS is that they think that it is acceptable to do it to all young girls, which is pretty terrible if you ask me. Just because some teenage girls get pregnant to get on benefits doesn't mean that they are the only ones to do it, older women are bound to do it too. You can't just sterilise the ones that look like they might be doing that, who would decide?!

It is just completely stupid, I can't even believe that people are having to discuss whether it is a good idea. I'm pretty sure that there is a woman with a 15yr old daughter who is pregnant on this forum at the moment and I'd love to see whether a grandmother-to-be to one of these 'problems' would agree with this inhumane idea.
As much as I would like to disagree with blazey, I find a thread that even by discussion would brand all teenage girls as not able to make rational decisions so far as sex is concerned.
Any society that would condone such an act isn't worth saving.

I knew a young lad, lucky enough to be a handsome beast, always had the girls falling over him, would treat them like queens until he finally got them pregnant then he would drop them like a brick to fend for themselves, by the time he was 20 he had six children by different girls that he had 'thrilled', and he laughed at the payments he was supposed to make, if anyone caught up with him with a summons etc. he would just up sticks and move to a new address and the courts would have to start all over again.

The majority of people answering this thread seem to be women, surely you have all been tempted by sex as a single girl and should therefore be saying there but for the grace of god go I.

You didn't get caught, don't insult the latest generation of women by even contemplating forcing them into a situation you would think inhuman for yourself.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 16:10   #68
God Member

The majority of people answering this thread seem to be women, surely you have all been tempted by sex as a single girl and should therefore be saying there but for the grace of god go I.

.[/quote]

Theres a difference between having protected and unprotected sex Less, a difference between wanting to get pregnant and NOT wanting to get pregnant, i never wanted to get pregnant again after having Reece so therefore i have been on the pill and use condoms too, its worked mighty fine for me for the last 12 years
Old 15-08-2008, 16:21   #69
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post

Theres a difference between having protected and unprotected sex Less, a difference between wanting to get pregnant and NOT wanting to get pregnant, i never wanted to get pregnant again after having Reece so therefore i have been on the pill and use condoms too, its worked mighty fine for me for the last 12 years
Right, but the majority of women have tried sex as a single girl without being caught, they have planned their lives taken precautions and in a majority of cases ended up in a form of stable relationship before having a child, should that majority be forced to take involantary contraception? Just because a few and let's face it, it is a few compared with the number of women that are out there that would use themselves and a child to get an 'easy life', we all know they are living on pipe dreams, they have chosen a short route to hardship.

Strangely I think most young women have the intelligence and will power to resist that trap.

Last edited by Less; 15-08-2008 at 16:23.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 16:56   #70
Resting in Peace

In my opinion, it is a lot more hard work bringing up a child full time as against going to work, so can never understand why young girls would want to be single parents just to obtain benefits to avoid work.. You never have any space, have to watch/cook/entertain/organise baby-sitters for any nights out, etc... even body space as they need nursing, climb all over you, holding hands when you venture outside (which takes ages to organise, as have a long list of items to take with you when under 3 years); the list is endless. No respite whatsoever. Although you do it for love naturally, any life of your own is spoken for.

Last edited by katex; 15-08-2008 at 17:00.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 20:14   #71
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Strangely I think most young women have the intelligence and will power to resist that trap.

YES, career women for instance, they manage not to have babies, therefore taking the necessary precautions NOT to have them

its simple really, if you dont want a baby then you go out of your way not to have one
Old 15-08-2008, 20:43   #72
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

I agree with Flashy.

Only when a girl wants to get pregnant or isn't bothered either way will she have unprotected sex....if she has any sense she'll insist on contraception.
Old 15-08-2008, 20:46   #73
God Member

i know someone in my family who says 'i cant take the pill, my doctors said so, i cant have the coil, my doctor said so, i cant have the pill injection, my doctor said so' it really irritates me because i know that its just an excuse to have more babies and stay on the social

yeah i have been on the social for a long time now, but i didnt keep spitting out babies so i could stay on it forever
Old 15-08-2008, 20:49   #74
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
i know someone in my family who says 'i cant take the pill, my doctors said so, i cant have the coil, my doctor said so, i cant have the pill injection, my doctor said so' it really irritates me because i know that its just an excuse to have more babies and stay on the social

yeah i have been on the social for a long time now, but i didnt keep spitting out babies so i could stay on it forever
People like that irritate the hell out of me too.
Old 15-08-2008, 21:20   #75
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
and mancie if you read the posts properly instead of through a bottle, my first one said i was against sterilization.
here calm down mate...you'll be getting me a bad name!..
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..