Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 23:07   #1
God Member

Why we should sterilise teenage girls ... temporarily at least

Why we should sterilise teenage girls ... temporarily at least | Mail Online

This article certainly gave me food for thought. one sentace inparticular made me think . "yes this really does happen" How many girls actually get pregnant for the wrong reasons?

Indeed, for many, it seems, a child has actually become a kind of perverse badge of honour.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-08-2008, 23:16   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Why we should sterilise teenage girls ... temporarily at least

not for that idea at all, think it would be simpler just to give em no benefits if they get in the tub fer the wrong reasons.
Old 10-08-2008, 23:18   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
not for that idea at all, think it would be simpler just to give em no benefits if they get in the tub fer the wrong reasons.

Agree to a point cashy but in the meantime how many unwanted babies have we got?...
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 23:26   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
Agree to a point cashy but in the meantime how many unwanted babies have we got?...
true but i'm near sure the number would decrease with it.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:26   #5
God Member

Is this real!!! not April fools day is it?... sterilise teenage girls..or any aged women ..what planet are we on?..unwanted babies? who are you to say babies are unwanted?... this ain't the 19 century.. Ok if you seem so keen on it lets try it out on your own daughter or grand child.. Nazism.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:56   #6
God Member

Quote:

How many "unwanted" babies have WE got?..I don't have any unwanted babies.. so if it's you and Cashy then keep it to yourselves ... where are these what you call "unwanted" babies?..I do have my suspicions they are unwanted by yourself.. for whatever reasons.. but may not be unwanted by the parents.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:22   #7
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Why we should sterilise teenage girls ... temporarily at least

Quote:
Why we should sterilise teenage girls ... temporarily at least | Mail Online

This article certainly gave me food for thought. one sentace inparticular made me think . "yes this really does happen" How many girls actually get pregnant for the wrong reasons?

Indeed, for many, it seems, a child has actually become a kind of perverse badge of honour.
Girls only get pregnant with the aid of a boy.

So why single out girls for ‘temporary’ sterilisation?
Old 11-08-2008, 03:31   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Why we should sterilise teenage girls ... temporarily at least

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
What are these wrong reasons? By who’s standard?

So you would condemn a totally blameless and innocent child to a life of poverty?
Old 11-08-2008, 06:44   #9
Loz

I think the wrong reasons are getting pregnant so they can get a council house and benefits so they don't have to work.
It happens quite frequently nowadays unfortunately, i see quite a few in the garage where i work and they treat the kids like dirt most of the time.
What chance have these kids got with parents that have no intention of working and are buying booze every day during the day with their benefits money?
I think in principle it is a good idea but also agree with you Jambutty,it takes two to tango,the blame shouldn't lie solely with the girls.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:46   #10

"Education would benefit, too. Classrooms would be less plagued by fatherless lads whose ambition it is to cause nothing but trouble."

Sorry, I was trying to read the article with an open mind till i read the above. Gave it up as a load of propaganda trying to blame the worlds unrest on the single mother.

Hows about the Government try and actually work with the single parent, rather than demonify (SP) them. I have NEVER come across a pregnant teenager that had a child to get a council house. Most seem to be out of a misplaced love for the father, or purely a mistake.

If the Government made it easier for single parents to go back to work, then surely that would be better. The system is not designed for working parets. Lets face it, how many parents have cringed at the 6 week holidays (or 9 week as my child has!!). If the Gvernment put something more in place to assist with childcare, a) I think a lot more lone parents would actually want to go back to work, b) Then they coud also look at encouraging/retraining lone parents, or look at initiatives as they have the long term sick
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:28   #11
God Member

All this sex education seems to have a negative effect IMO. When we were younger there was very little sex education taught and yes a few girls did get pregnant but there didn't appear to be this fixation with going out and having sex. Whatever happened to kids being kids? It certainly wasn't high on my to do list!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 08:31   #12
Loz

Think sex education is a good thing but only after a certain age.
When i was in my last year of primary school i remember a nurse coming to the school to talk to us about sex,at 11 years old i think it was pointless and not needed.
If they started with it at 15 years onwards then i think that is okay but putting ideas in young peoples minds can only be a bad thing imo.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:41   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
When i was in my last year of primary school i remember a nurse coming to the school to talk to us about sex,at 11 years old i think it was pointless and not needed.
If they started with it at 15 years onwards then i think that is okay but putting ideas in young peoples minds can only be a bad thing imo.

15 yr old is to late in many cases, I am 26 now and when I was at school there were 3 people I knew pregnant either by or at 15, and it has got worse since. Many people I know had their first child at around 18 / 19 which is still young and you are still a teenager at this age. Most pregnancies I know of have not been planned, mine wasnt but it happens. When they are younger parents, many of them tend not to have the same patience as and older parent and may not know how to deal with many situations thrown at them as a parent. It isnt easy being a parent, let alone a single parent (and I know this) and many of them are single mums.

Not sure if sterilisation is the way to go though, seems harsh but will stop pregnancy at a young age, but may not be right personally, thats controlling someones life.

I think if they are educated it will help, and this should start at starting secondary school. Many girls are at that age then where they could fall pregnant by this time and the lack of education would not help the situation
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:46   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
Its only a few weeks ago that it was being discussed on Brakfast telly that kids as young as five should be given some form of sex education Loz. When I was at school there was no such thing as sex education, there again there were no such programs on TV such as Big Brother which openly flouts sex for all to see, give the fact tat lots of kids watch it, they don't realy stad a chances do they
Old 11-08-2008, 08:51   #15
Loz

Okay so 15 years old might be too late but there is no need for it before secondary school!
Jay that is unbelievable that they would even consider giving sex education to 5 year olds!
What the hell is the point?
I'm pretty sure i had no idea what sex was at that age and wouldn't of wanted to know either!
What happened to innocence of youth?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..