Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-10-2007, 18:34   #61
God Member

Re: aleks avatar..(swastika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
We have a constitution?
Yes you do. Altho' it is not written down in a single volume. As England was the first country to stumble on democracy, or parliamentary democracy at least (forget about the Greeks and Romans ... that was something else), she became a model for subsequent democracies, even the American and especially the Canadian. A new democracy needs a constitution because it does not have behind it the slow, trial and error, experimental and experiential devpt. that England had. Think of a constitution as a substitute for a unique historical process. Or perhaps a uniquely English historical process.

See, hon, you are not the only one who can waffle on
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-10-2007, 20:50   #62
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: aleks avatar..(swastika)

William Shakespeare wrote a play with a title that fits here.

Much Ado About Nothing.
Old 30-10-2007, 21:33   #63
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
William Shakespeare wrote a play with a title that fits here.

Much Ado About Nothing.
I'm not sure the connotations of 'Nothing' are so apt to this!!
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 21:43   #64
white rabbits

god bless all the old soldiers........
Old 30-10-2007, 21:57   #65
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: aleks avatar..(swastika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
god bless all the old soldiers........
Would that include old sailors and old airmen as well?
Old 30-10-2007, 22:09   #66
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Would that include old sailors and old airmen as well?
Of course,,that goes without saying......
Old 30-10-2007, 22:22   #67
Passed away 25-11-09

To anyone near my age a swastika was anathema, as was any picture of Hitler. I was less than 7 years old when I first heard stories about concentration camps etc. and, in my early years, I only knew Germany as the enemy and the swastika as its emblem.

My grandson was born in 1985 and, to him, WW2 is just History. Although he appreciates the horrors of Naziism it's not relevant to anything he's ever experienced. I think the same was true of Prince Harry when he made that rather stupid gaffe of wearing Nazi uniform to a fancy dress party. It didn't impact in the same way it would to an older person. We may say this is wrong but, thinking about it, my great-great grandfather would probably have said much the same about Napoleon Bonaparte who was as much loathed and feared, in his day, as Hitler was 150 years later.

When it comes down to it, a swastika is just an emblem. It may have been used here to cause mischief but, in itself, it's not important. If Alecks wants to ally himself to a political party defeated 60 years ago that's his misfortune. If he allies himself to a present-day neo-Nazi party, that's his stupidity.
Old 02-11-2007, 18:42   #68
God Member

It was offensive to some and there was clearly no other reason to use it than to wind people up. I take it you're bnp? I could read threads on here but can't be ed. I think you have too much attitude and don't think things through. Then when we point out that you could be wrong you say we have no intelligence.
I too was thinking about my granddad when I commented, if it wasn't for the English rescuing him after he escaped from the camp during a English air raid he'd be dead. They all said to each other lets go for it, we either die here or take the risk. English bought him here and like many poles he joined up to help, he guarded the prisoners in the camp here. He'd have found it offensive.
If these people find it offensive it's wrong in my opinion, and I felt strongly enough to bother to post on here.
Also why can't you answer our jen as to why you chose it, it's a perfectly good question so it deserves a truthful answer.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 18:50   #69

I choose it to see how long it would take for someone to moan about it without actually seeing behond their own limits of the mind. You see most people see that and straight away think of nazi's but dont bother to look inot it more. todays minds are lazy and numb and this was a test to see how quickly people would follow that path. Thankfully there are some that didnt.
Old 02-11-2007, 18:58   #70
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter View Post
It was offensive to some and there was clearly no other reason to use it than to wind people up. I think you have too much attitude and don't think things through. Then when we point out that you could be wrong you say we have no intelligence.
That's good coming from you of all people, why did you crawl back from under that stone???

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 19:02   #71
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
I choose it to see how long it would take for someone to moan about it without actually seeing behond their own limits of the mind. You see most people see that and straight away think of nazi's but dont bother to look inot it more. todays minds are lazy and numb and this was a test to see how quickly people would follow that path. Thankfully there are some that didnt.
You are so deluded it is unbelievable.
It is clear to anyone in the modern world with one ounce of awareness that the swastika has immediate connotations of the Nazi party of world war 2, absolutely regardless of it's original meanings.
They do not matter anymore as it's cultural meanings have shifted due to a major event which affected a large percentage of the world's population.

I really feel sorry for you. Your proclaimed omniscience over the avatar issue is nothing more than bravado.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 19:04   #72
God Member

Just because I see it as offensive does not mean that my mind is lazy and dumb. I thought carefully about it and why you've got it and if its because your bnp then it's sad that you should feel the need to use a symbol of a party that caused such pain just because they happen to share some of your thoughts on keeping foreigners out of this country. Which I don't disagree with.
Thankfully there are some on here that have the mind to stand up to people and say what they think, and disagree if they think whats written/said may offend others even though it may not offend them. you're thanking the 'it doesn't bother me so i'm alright jack' brigade, which this country is full of and is why we've over run with foreign workers taking my jobs using resources that I've paid for. That and do gooders. people who say it's you're right. This is the problem we have now, every body does things because they feel like it and can do because they have the right to, regardless of whether it's actually right or wrong. Most well know are chavs on street corners.
Old 02-11-2007, 19:08   #73
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
That's good coming from you of all people, why did you crawl back from under that stone???
Lol why is it good coming from me? I don't offend people for no reason or tell them to crawl back under stones. I also think things through, it is not my fault if you can't prove me wrong when i am wrong which although not often, does actually happen.
Old 02-11-2007, 19:26   #74

IM not responsible for anyone assuming that its a nazi sign. IF you actually looked at the symbol instead of just seeing it you would have seen it was NOT the nazi way round. Again im not responsible for you not knowing that. Most people dont and thats fine by me.
Old 02-11-2007, 19:49   #75
God Member

Most people don't, you know that as you've just admitted it but in your mind the fact that it's the wrong way round makes it ok. It's the people who don't that are to blame. Bit like the kids are at fault for getting themselves killed. A 6 yr old and 7 yr old SHOULD know the danger so it's their fault regardless of whether they did or not.
And anyway who says we or they should know anything.

Usually what is perceived as what should be or as what is the norm is what the general consensus thinks and I doubt very much that most people would agree with you. That is most people in the outside world, not on one forum or chat site. My experience has shown me that a whole site can have a twisted sense of reality, and I've been on lots, I've mixed with the lowest of the low, dregs of society, I've chatted in the dustbin of chat and I've chatted with decent people on decent sites each with their own opinions.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..