Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2010, 13:34   #136

Re: Barbary Coast

Taggy, I only came to East Lanc's in 1974 and I always picture Yate's Wine Lodge on Church Street on the right walking towards King Street, before it was the "Chinese" upstairs, I wonder if they moved there for a short time?
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-08-2010, 13:41   #137
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Taggy, I only came to East Lanc's in 1974 and I always picture Yate's Wine Lodge on Church Street on the right walking towards King Street, before it was the "Chinese" upstairs, I wonder if they moved there for a short time?
Yate's Wine Lodge did later move to Church Street Wadey, but i dont recall what year it moved. Wasn't somewhere i used too often, and i cant recall if there was a Chinese upstairs. I do Remember the Chinese upstairs over the Market Hall though!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 18:22   #138
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Yates Wine Lodge did later move to Church Street Wadey, but i dont recall what year it moved. Wasn't somewhere i used too often, and i cant recall if there was a Chinese upstairs. I do Remember the Chinese upstairs over the Market Hall though!

Best Regards - Taggy
It must have moved after 75 Taggy, mind you there was a lot of building work started around Blackburn in those days, Can always remember going past the Cave on Lords Square to get the Yates and it wasn't far way, the map JEFF reproduced seems to make me think I was right
Old 06-08-2010, 08:55   #139
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
It must have moved after 75 Taggy, mind you there was a lot of building work started around Blackburn in those days, Can always remember going past the Cave on Lords Square to get the Yates and it wasn't far way, the map JEFF reproduced seems to make me think I was right
Yes i think your spot on with that Jaysay. As you say, was an awful lot of building work going on around then, as as you say (and the map shows too) that you could then walk straight up Lord Street, parallel to Church Street, and then Yates was on the left hand side..i'd got confused between Lord Street and Church Street. I guess it would have been around or after 75, i'd started work in Blackburn in 74 and can remember the new one opening but wasn't sure just when. Do you know anything about the Chinese Wadey is mentioning there, or is he perhaps getting mixed up with the one over the Market Hall?

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 06-08-2010, 09:43   #140
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yes i think your spot on with that Jaysay. As you say, was an awful lot of building work going on around then, as as you say (and the map shows too) that you could then walk straight up Lord Street, parallel to Church Street, and then Yates was on the left hand side..i'd got confused between Lord Street and Church Street. I guess it would have been around or after 75, i'd started work in Blackburn in 74 and can remember the new one opening but wasn't sure just when. Do you know anything about the Chinese Wadey is mentioning there, or is he perhaps getting mixed up with the one over the Market Hall?

Best Regards - Taggy
I can only remember the Chinese which was on the corner on the upstairs, can't think it was over Yates though, was quite a big place.

Just a little wonder, anybody ever use the Sakumo restaurant on Ainham was right next door to M & M taxi's Mani and Marie, we used to go there every Friday after finishing work at the Cave, for a meal, then upstairs for a few bevvies
Old 06-08-2010, 09:55   #141

Blackburn now and then, Blackburns History throughout the years

think the "Chinese" was on the right
Old 06-08-2010, 10:15   #142
Resting in Peace

Quote:
That's the one wadey but I don't think Yates was underneath it
Old 06-08-2010, 11:09   #143

Ying Kin’s Chinese Restaurant above the Market.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:10   #144

That's the one wadey but I don't think Yates was underneath it

I agree that Yate's was further up
Old 06-08-2010, 11:11   #145

The Cavendish in the 1970’s.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:24   #146

"Family Well-Being Resource Centre" 43 King Street. Blackburn | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

"The King's Head Inn" Thwaites Ales (Pub)
Old 06-08-2010, 13:24   #147
Senior Member+

Quote:

Yep thats the one i was on about. I've been there a few times, when the only adventurous thing i'd have was ruddy Chicken Maryland!! Lol!

I cant recall the other Jaysay, but didn't get up Eanam way much, sometimes used the one on Darwen street, then bag a Taxi from Silverline i think they were.

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 10-08-2010, 21:19   #148

all this talk of barbary coast has got me wanting a visit.
anyone fancy a barbary coast ( whats left of it ) saturday night pub crawl sometime ?
spignific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:34   #149
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Brings back a few memories that wadey, brings the old saying back to mind "manning the bridge" which was the most unpopular job at the Cav, just a pity there are no picks of the inside both before and after the fire
Old 11-08-2010, 09:42   #150
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yep that's the one i was on about. I've been there a few times, when the only adventurous thing i'd have was ruddy Chicken Maryland!! Lol! I

cant recall the other Jaysay, but didn't get up Eanam way much, sometimes used the one on Darwen street, then bag a Taxi from Silverline i think they were.

Best Regards - Taggy
Silverline taxis was owned by two brothers called Bernie the eldest one was called Jack and he came in the Coach and Horse pub on Hassy Road in the 70s, he had a farm on the left hand side of the road between the Brittan and Guide

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..