Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 18:48   #121
God Member

Re: Barbary Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'm surprised nobody as mentioned Yates Wine Lodge, the old one, what a den of iniquity that place was, two docs of Australian white please love, who are you calling love WHACK
I think I managed to get one in there before they pulled it down..must have been about '71, I think.

Funnily enough, one of my first drinking joints in London - back in late '79/80 - was a Yate's Wine Lodge, in Mayfair of all places. It was just off Bond Street. You could spend three hours getting totally ****faced on Aussie wines, then buy a loaf of bread, a can of sardines and a pint of milk from behind the bar to go home and sober up with.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-08-2010, 18:52   #122
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I think I managed to get one in there before they pulled it down..must have been about '71, I think.

Funnily enough, one of my first drinking joints in London - back in late '79/80 - was a Yates Wine Lodge, in Mayfair of all places. It was just off Bond Street. You could spend three hours getting totally ****faced on Aussie wines, then buy a loaf of bread, a can of sardines and a pint of milk from behind the bar to go home and sober up with.
Was still open in 75/6 Tealeaf, all the bouncers from the Cav used to meet there before going on duty at 8-30
Old 03-08-2010, 19:05   #123
God Member

You sure about that, Jaysay? i did quite a bit of drinking around Blackburn about 73/4 before I left for pastures anew and I seem to remember Yate's was in the old arcade, which got pulled down a few years before. Or am I, through the past mists of alcoholic inhebriance, getting confused with another location?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:14   #124
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
You sure about that, Jaysay? i did quite a bit of drinking around Blackburn about 73/4 before I left for pastures anew and I seem to remember Yate's was in the old arcade, which got pulled down a few years before. Or am I, through the past mists of alcoholic inhebriance, getting confused with another location?
No was down a side street Tealeaf, I worked at the Cav 74/5 When it shut they opened a brand new place nearer the town centre. The place we went to was really dank inside dark wood and you had to queue up for your drinks, the queue was roped off with brass upstands with red ropes between
Old 04-08-2010, 13:27   #125
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
No was down a side street Tealeaf, I worked at the Cav 74/5 When it shut they opened a brand new place nearer the town centre. The place we went to was really dank inside dark wood and you had to queue up for your drinks, the queue was roped off with brass upstands with red ropes between
I cant remember exactly where that was Jaysay...was it further up on Church Street than where the newer one was but perhaps on the other side? My Dad once got a part time job there, but he's not with us anymore, and i never saw it at that time. I know he used to say there were some real characters in there, and they used to throw sawdust down on the floor, to help soak up the spilt ale etc etc!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 13:37   #126
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Here's the barbers if that's any help
I've been in Blackburn today and had a wander over there. Yes thats definitely what was The Dunn Horse, there used to be 2 entrances, the one on the corner has now been blocked in, and has advertising on it, whilst the other entrance on Market Street Lane is still there!

The other Pub diagonally opposite, which now has the name Clitheroe Kates on the side is definitely what was The Old Bank, as far as i recall it was in a row of terraced property at some point, which will have altered how people remember it! Age does funny things to the mind, and i worked near there in the 70's early 80's and i think that there were buildings on both sides of what you see now, cant remember, what was on the corner next to it, where the grass is now. But i think at the other side, where there is the Car Park and Grass verge in front of the Co-Op Funeral Service, was a small row of terraces which might still have been a Funeral Parlour but a smaller concern than it is now!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 04-08-2010, 17:51   #127
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I cant remember exactly where that was Jaysay...was it further up on Church Street than where the newer one was but perhaps on the other side? My Dad once got a part time job there, but he's not with us anymore, and i never saw it at that time. I know he used to say there were some real characters in there, and they used to throw sawdust down on the floor, to help soak up the spilt ale etc etc!!

Best Regards - Taggy
The street it was on Taggy was at right angles to Church Street if I remember rightly, I know it wasn't fare from the Cav.
Old 04-08-2010, 17:56   #128
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I've been in Blackburn today and had a wander over there. Yes that's definitely what was The Dunn Horse, there used to be 2 entrances, the one on the corner has now been blocked in, and has advertising on it, whilst the other entrance on Market Street Lane is still there!

The other Pub diagonally opposite, which now has the name Clitheroe Kates on the side is definitely what was The Old Bank, as far as i recall it was in a row of terraced property at some point, which will have altered how people remember it! Age does funny things to the mind, and i worked near there in the 70's early 80's and i think that there were buildings on both sides of what you see now, cant remember, what was on the corner next to it, where the grass is now. But i think at the other side, where there is the Car Park and Grass verge in front of the Co-Op Funeral Service, was a small row of terraces which might still have been a Funeral Parlour but a smaller concern than it is now!

Best Regards - Taggy
Your right about the Old Bank, Taggy it was in the middle of row of terrace properties, went in quite often when Geoff Edwardson was the Landlord, he was on the committee of the Lancashire County Pool Association, when I was chairman
Old 04-08-2010, 21:07   #129

Thanks for all the help

"Liquid Envy Blackburn" St Peter's Close (Street) Blackburn, Lancs BB2 2HB-Olympia Cinema
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0057.jpg (205.6 KB, 10 views)
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:22   #130
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Thanks for all the help

"Liquid Envy Blackburn" St Peter's Close (Street) Blackburn, Lancs BB2 2HB-Olympia Cinema
Ah yes....The Golden Palms!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 05-08-2010, 09:25   #131
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Ah yes....The Golden Palms!!

Best Regards - Taggy
With the twinkling star ceiling and the revolving stage
Old 05-08-2010, 09:39   #132
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i was a bit of a celebrity yon, they had me photo in the pay booth.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:05   #133
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i was a bit of a celebrity yon, they had me photo in the pay booth.
Was it that one with all the numbers across the bottom
Old 05-08-2010, 11:41   #134
Resting In Peace

Quote:

Best Regards - Taggy

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...n-42672-4.html
Post number 47 shows you where it was
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 13:29   #135
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...n-42672-4.html
Post number 47 shows you where it was
Thanks for that. I can see now where i'd visualised it, but it was up Lord Street not Church Street and on left hand side!

Best Regards - Taggy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..