Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-07-2010, 00:01   #46
Give, give, give member

Re: Barbary Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Alan - was the Vulcan just up from the Tech College - Thwaites house and Big Ben on draught at Christmas - don't know how i managed my ONC there.
Which was the pub opposite Yates's that had a piano up on the wall?
That was The Vulcan, on Nab Lane, near what was the new Tech. A new college is now built where it once stood.

Was quiet druggy, and played heavy metal in the early eighties. Though sold cheap food and brews, so was popular with students.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vulcan1.jpg (8.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Vulcan2.jpg (4.9 KB, 15 views)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-07-2010, 00:09   #47
Give, give, give member

Some pub and club names metioned in the comments section of this link.

Blackburn now and then, Blackburns History throughout the years

Also here.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...can-40354.html

Old 13-07-2010, 00:22   #48
Give, give, give member

This made me laugh, regarding Margo Grimshaw, former landlady of The Jubilee, and the woman who brought The Boomtown Rats, and topless barmaids to Blackburn, and who is now a woman of means, and some considerable clout, as a columnist at the LET.

'She's a local business woman, she recently appeared on Panorama, claiming that Blackburn was a scary place, and she was fearful to step out of her house at night etc etc. It made me laugh because she's the one who's building luxury apartments in the town centre... some great publicity there for your enterprise eh Margo?'

'She looks like what I would call a 'chav gran' all golden skin and golden jewellry and bleached hair. But that's just my opinion. Fair play to her for making her money, hope I'm as rich and thoughtless when I'm her age.'
Lancashire Telegraph - East Lancashire's daily newspaper. Blackburn Rovers, Burnley FC.

Old 13-07-2010, 09:34   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
now thats summat thats bugging me fer yonks, the "Legs" what brewery owned it? the infamous Bob Cotton used to frequent it in my day.
Think it might have been Lions cashy and was an ale house if I remember rightly
Old 13-07-2010, 09:37   #50
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Alan - was the Vulcan just up from the Tech College - Thwaites house and Big Ben on draught at Christmas - don't know how i managed my ONC there.
Which was the pub opposite Yates's that had a piano up on the wall?
The pub with the piano on the wall was either the Sun or Sames Vaults Barrie
Old 13-07-2010, 10:32   #51
God Member

How many of you, doing the Barbary crawl, would visit the Merchants for a laugh? All the puffters would be dressed up as women. These days, of course, they all want to be muscle men. Why is this? Can anyone explain this change?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 10:45   #52
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
How many of you, doing the Barbary crawl, would visit the Merchants for a laugh? All the puffters would be dressed up as women. These days, of course, they all want to be muscle men. Why is this? Can anyone explain this change?
I went in the Merchants regularly and knew the Landlord Ken Pilling very well, he used to frequent the Cav when he shut the pub. I can assure you he didn't wear a dress and even then he was a muscle man, an ex PTI in the Army, and was as hard as nails, if he said it was Monday it WAS Monday, believe me
Old 13-07-2010, 11:28   #53
God Member

..so you were a regular in the Merchants? What attracted you to that particular pub?
Old 13-07-2010, 13:03   #54
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think it might have been Lions cashy and was an ale house if I remember rightly
thats whats bugging me, the "County" just further down the row was lions, but seem to think the "Legs" was summat outa the ordinary? not one of the Big 4 if ya get me drift, could well be wrong was rarely sober back then.
Old 13-07-2010, 15:06   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I went in the Merchants regularly and knew the Landlord Ken Pilling very well, he used to frequent the Cav when he shut the pub. I can assure you he didn't wear a dress and even then he was a muscle man, an ex PTI in the Army, and was as hard as nails, if he said it was Monday it WAS Monday, believe me
We used to call in there too on the odd pub crawl, or sometimes on the Lunchtime Crimbo Pub drink, i used to work on St,Peters St. Do you remember the Barman...Pearl i think was his nickname...once recall seeing him in a bright yellow suit...ya wouldn't dare laugh at him though!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 15:23   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
We used to call in there too on the odd pub crawl, or sometimes on the Lunchtime Crimbo Pub drink, i used to work on St,Peters St. Do you remember the Barman...Pearl i think was his nickname...once recall seeing him in a bright yellow suit...ya wouldn't dare laugh at him though!!

Best Regards - Taggy
there was Sharon,Pearl, n Beaky at one time wearing see through pants, mind ya 2 off did live up Union Rd Ossy.
Old 13-07-2010, 15:28   #57
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
i used to work on St,Peters St.
In keeping with the historic spirit of deviancy in the area, there's a new club opened on St. Peter's Street recently.

It's what the French would call a club échangiste.

Or what we'd call a swinger's club, apparently.

Old 13-07-2010, 17:22   #58
God Member

Are you sure? I've just looked at their website...facilities are a bath tub followed by tea and biscuits. Even Ossy could do better than that.
Old 13-07-2010, 17:35   #59
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
In keeping with the historic spirit of deviancy in the area, there's a new club opened on St. Peter's Street recently.

It's what the French would call a club échangiste.

Or what we'd call a swinger's club, apparently.

I'm afraid my place was nothing more exotic than a Printers!

I do recall one of my first weeks there as an a apprentice, i was returning to work after dinner, and i kicked a stone along the pavement, i handn't noticed this "lady" sat on a bollard close by, she shouted to me...come over here lad..i'll show you a better game than that!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 13-07-2010, 17:37   #60
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
there was Sharon,Pearl, n Beaky at one time wearing see through pants, mind ya 2 off did live up Union Rd Ossy.
Always been some "funny uns" round there Cashy!!

Best Regards - Taggy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..