Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2008, 20:08   #31
God Member

Re: Barbary Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I think pendy you might mean the Dunn Horse, but I can't be sure I always went to the Wheatsheaf!
It was the Dunn Horse............One you've missed......Samse's Vaults.
Landlady 'Nancy'....Would worry rats.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-06-2008, 22:34   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
.......One you've missed......Samse's Vaults.
Landlady 'Nancy'....Would worry rats.
samses worried cashy, floor was very hard after numerous white wines.
Old 16-07-2008, 19:30   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
not if you had a degree in armed robbery. didn't really class that as on the "Coast" although the steps were very painful to bounce down.
To my eternal shame I was a bit of a regular at the Tophat when very young..only late club me and my mate could get in!..I recall on of the numerous times the council or whomever tried to close it down..they had to re-apply for a drinks licence and the only way round it was to serve food...they did it by serving Hollands pies in a basket with a lettuce leaf!..I'm not joking!

Last edited by Mancie; 16-07-2008 at 19:32. Reason: rubbish spelling
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 20:46   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
To my eternal shame I was a bit of a regular at the Tophat when very young..only late club me and my mate could get in!..I recall on of the numerous times the council or whomever tried to close it down..they had to re-apply for a drinks licence and the only way round it was to serve food...they did it by serving Hollands pies in a basket with a lettuce leaf!..I'm not joking!
Cyril Kenyon....always one step ahead of the law..now lives in Thailand. Harry Fenwick comes to mind.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 20:53   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Cyril Kenyon....always one step ahead of the law..now lives in Thailand. Harry Fenwick comes to mind.
yes I remember Cyril..the times I first went there it was a DJ that played mostly Tamla Mowtown stuff.. this is the early 70's... but up to the 80's it was still the place to go as you were pretty sure to get entry (and as Cashy says if not carefull a quick exit down the stairs) while the other clubs were more fussy.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 10:11   #36

I know this is a bit off the Barbary Coast, but I thought I would put it on this thread, Ive been told the old Woolworths building in Blackburn, or its facade has been demolished, What has gone up in its place, I thought it would have been a listed building. Any photos anybody.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 10:21   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
I know this is a bit off the Barbary Coast, but I thought I would put it on this thread, Ive been told the old Woolworths building in Blackburn, or its facade has been demolished, What has gone up in its place, I thought it would have been a listed building. Any photos anybody.
I was surprised too - it was very art deco with a style like the Midland Hotel at Morecambe.
I last went past the building site about 2 weeks ago and nothing had been built there yet. Looks like the widescale demolition is still happening.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 10:31   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
yes I remember Cyril..the times I first went there it was a DJ that played mostly Tamla Mowtown stuff.. this is the early 70's... but up to the 80's it was still the place to go as you were pretty sure to get entry (and as Cashy says if not carefull a quick exit down the stairs) while the other clubs were more fussy.
remember the "Blue Star Combo" being resident up the top hat fer a while, a very good local band, a guy i know well was the drummer.
Old 17-07-2008, 10:53   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
remember the "Blue Star Combo" being resident up the top hat fer a while, a very good local band, a guy i know well was the drummer.
If I remember right cashy didn't one of the Combo die, I think it may have been the drummer, but not sure.
On the Top Hat, I think Cyril also had a place in Colne as well, right in the centre
Old 17-07-2008, 11:23   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
If I remember right cashy didn't one of the Combo die, I think it may have been the drummer, but not sure.
On the Top Hat, I think Cyril also had a place in Colne as well, right in the centre
not the drummer mate, unless he died since last week, hes the guy i know well, was talking to him outside oddies,
Old 27-07-2008, 01:04   #41

i was a frequent visitor to the Top Hat or flat cap as it was known locally remember being welcomed by the scarfaced glass eyed bouncer. they had a group on on saturday nights called the Blue Star Combo and strippers on a sunday lunchtime allegedly one lunchtime a customer got slightly carried away and tried to mount a stripper no doubt the security staff would have swiftly dealt with him. As for Blackburn Centre today the Old Bank is still open under another name during the day as is the Dun Horse now call Zed bar or something the only old type pub that i know is the Swan the Soamses Vaults is now a pop pub, the most popular daytime pubs seem TO BE The PostaL Order (Wetherspoon) and the Merchants aka Last Orders though i am tol the St. Johns Tavern is also popular regards to all
cottontownkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 22:10   #42
Junior Member+

Yes the Barbary coast was a good night. We used to start off in The Legs Of Man (this pub did not open on Sundays because it was on Cathedral grounds) followed by The County,Wine Lodge, Dun Horse, Wheatsheaf then followed by The Old Bank
Peter Ashworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 22:43   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ashworth View Post
Yes the Barbary coast was a good night. We used to start off in The Legs Of Man (this pub did not open on Sundays because it was on Cathedral grounds) followed by The County,Wine Lodge, Dun Horse, Wheatsheaf then followed by The Old Bank
now thats summat thats bugging me fer yonks, the "Legs" what brewery owned it? the infamous Bob Cotton used to frequent it in my day.
Old 12-07-2010, 23:09   #44
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Couldn't agree more Wynonie, I use to go in the Old Bank quite a lot the Landlord was a mate of mine, He was called Jeff Edwardson, he moved to Accy and had a couple of pubs in the Town, I think one was the Antley but I'm not sure
You are right jaysay Jeff did have the Antley
Greenwellies Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 23:36   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Used to spend a lot of time in those pubs when I was a full time student at Blackburn Tech, they were very handy just around the corner from the Mecca. Yates Wine Lodge, The paint stripper they sold ( Australian Plonk ). Are they all gone now??. There was a knife shop there called Little Sheffield. Lionel Morton had a boutique in Mincing lane I think it was . We used to go in the Vulcan a lot. I suppose a lot of the pubs have gone now, Star & Garter, Adelphi , White Bull, There was a Chinese Restaurant Called the Yinn Kinn above the new Market Hall, The St Johns Tavern was a favourite with the mods. Reid'ys record shop in Penny St. God all this sends shivers up my spine.
Alan - was the Vulcan just up from the Tech College - Thwaites house and Big Ben on draught at Christmas - don't know how i managed my ONC there.
Which was the pub opposite Yates's that had a piano up on the wall?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..