Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-04-2008, 17:22   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Barbary Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Spent many a happy hour on the Barbary Coast in the 70's. A particular favourite of mine was the Old Bank which seemed to have a whole cast of interestingly disreputable characters. Although there were some rough pubs down there, they were rough in the old-fashioned way - if you didn't bother anybody, you were left in peace, but woe betide anybody who started taking liberties. Not been down there for knocking on 30 years now. I suppose it's all trendy wine bars and plastic disco pubs, more's the pity.
Couldn't agree more Wynonie, I use to go in the Old Bank quite a lot the Landlord was a mate of mine, He was called Jeff Edwardson, he moved to Accy and had a couple of pubs in the Town, I think one was the Antley but I'm not sure
Old 23-04-2008, 18:42   #17
Resting In Peace

no one has mentioned the top hat club, now that was a dive.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 19:12   #18
God Member

blackburn all but a ghost town now.who remembers coconut grove?
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 21:13   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh View Post
not if you had a degree in armed robbery. didn't really class that as on the "Coast" although the steps were very painful to bounce down.
Old 24-04-2008, 05:40   #20
Senior Member+

seem to recall the Castle used to have a good folk nite
weekly think it was mondays ?

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 09:23   #21
God Member

Anyone remember the Legs of Mann? I recall one exciting evening watching two ladies of the night busily engaged in a full and frank exchange of opinion as to whom had first call upon a client. There they were, rolling round on the bare wooded floor, attempting to unsurgically remove each others hair and eyes, when a few of the blokes decided to enliven the proceedings by given them a beer shampoo. Well, with mild at 12p a pint, it was easily affordable. Before they knew it they were swimming in a barrel of the stuff. Unfortunatly, the cops came in and put a premature end to the show. Shame.

Still, halycon days!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 10:02   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Anyone remember the Legs of Mann? I recall one exciting evening watching two ladies of the night busily engaged in a full and frank exchange of opinion as to whom had first call upon a client. There they were, rolling round on the bare wooded floor, attempting to unsurgically remove each others hair and eyes, when a few of the blokes decided to enliven the proceedings by given them a beer shampoo. Well, with mild at 12p a pint, it was easily affordable. Before they knew it they were swimming in a barrel of the stuff. Unfortunatly, the cops came in and put a premature end to the show. Shame.

Still, halycon days!
the "Legs" was on the street by the General Post Office,just past the "County" was also frequented by the "Legendary" Bob Cotton, was never a good idea to stare at the guy. was talking to a mate of his in spain the other week, still batting, but not very well i was told.
Old 24-04-2008, 11:53   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Wine, Dine and Bleed at the Top Hat, used to got up there on Sunday afternoons, they had panel darts on, it was very entertaining
Old 25-04-2008, 18:16   #24
Resting In Peace

tealeaf,
dont kid me that your old enough to remember a 12p pint.
i know your mother she told me how old you are.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 13:52   #25
God Member

Quote:
tealeaf,
dont kid me that your old enough to remember a 12p pint.
i know your mother she told me how old you are.
I remember when it was two bob a pint, but don't tell her that, otherwise I'll be in deep trouble.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 07:20   #26

Did the Castle become the Dirty Duck or something like that.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 10:38   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
I have a feeling you could be right Alan
Old 28-04-2008, 13:52   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
yep it sure did Al.
Old 13-06-2008, 19:34   #29
Junior Member+

There was a problem if you (female) drank on the Barbary Coast and bought your shoes at Tommy Balls - where they used to write the price (OF THE SHOES!!) on the sole in biro. Not only could you be beseiged by men looking for the lowest price (I seem to remember the shoes were about 6/6 - i.e. 32.5p), you could be attacked by the ladies of the night for undercutting them!
yvonne.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 01:24   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonne.e View Post
There was a problem if you (female) drank on the Barbary Coast and bought your shoes at Tommy Balls - where they used to write the price (OF THE SHOES!!) on the sole in biro. Not only could you be beseiged by men looking for the lowest price (I seem to remember the shoes were about 6/6 - i.e. 32.5p), you could be attacked by the ladies of the night for undercutting them!
straying a little from the thread but i remember a pros in the spread eagle accy early/mid 60s used to have the price on her sole it wern't no tommy balls price either.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..