Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-03-2010, 11:12   #16
God Member

Re: New Contracts?

Let's hope they are the 6 foot,12 stone keeper, left wing wizard, and goal poacher we've been looking for.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-03-2010, 13:35   #17
Senior Member+

Aparently the left back is a real prospect
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 15:56   #18
God Member

I have a gut feeling that there may be one or two surprise inclusions on tomorrows teamsheet

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 17:10   #19
Senior Member+

Id personally like Turner & King to start
Old 26-03-2010, 17:22   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendle Red View Post
I have a gut feeling that there may be one or two surprise inclusions on tomorrows teamsheet
i thought you'd stopped doing the programme?

seriously there can't be any 'surprises' as such because deadline day came and went with no action, but there could be a couple of rested players. John Mullin might be due a start?
Old 26-03-2010, 17:28   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
i thought you'd stopped doing the programme?

Only a couple of pages these days

seriously there can't be any 'surprises' as such because deadline day came and went with no action, but there could be a couple of rested players. John Mullin might be due a start?
People are coming to the end of contracts and I just feel there will be a push for places.

SFFS
Old 27-03-2010, 13:27   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
The only hope is that economic reality hits all other clubs and Stanley's meagre resources no longer present the disadvantage they do now,
The Chairman of Sheffield Wednesday is holding out the same philosophy for his Club!

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 02:27   #23
Full Member+

After seeing the highlights on the beeb tonight, then I'd personally be handing a P45 to Dunbavin and Miles at the end of this season. Not just on the strength of the comedy showing on offer at Bournemouth but for the fact that neither are worthy of any extended deal.

Dunbavin, purely and simply is not good enough. God loves a trier, and god knows he's tried my patience at times, but to draw a line under the situation, Bournemouth's second proved Dunbavin ( or Dunsavin) as others have jokingly pointed out, he just is not good enough.

Miles is one of the laziest footballers I have ever seen. At 10% of times he shows glimpses of his ability, the other 90% of the time he's totally anonymous. If we're to build on this season,for me, he has to go. I'd sooner see someone giving 100% in that red shirt,playing the full 90 and beyond, than someone who plays well when he feels like it and goes missing in other games. If someone gave him a proper kick up the arse; and maybe the guy thought his livelihood depended upon putting in 100% week in, week out, we may see what the guy can undoubtedly do ( ala his all too brief flashes of brilliance)

We've never got to grips with the goalkeeping position for years now,conference including ( bearing in mind the keepers that got us up were on loan) and the one and only decent keeper we had since our return to the league was K.A. and admittedly, probably due to financial constraints, we never have replaced the guy. Boozer has at times, been a refreshing alternative to Dunbavin; and if it was a straight choice between the two, then the Boozer gets my vote.

If, and I'd say this honestly, we write off promotion or play-offs this season ( which compared to the relegation dogfight which we've avoided comfortably this season means this season is a massive achievement given the problems we've overcome) then Coley must be looking to build.

I'd hope the No 1 spot is his top priority, I think that, given we keep the back four and the main men in defence, maybe a couple of additions in defence would help to shore up that department.

I'm a great believer that a defence plays better with a good keeper behind it; and resolve the keeper problem, I think we may tighten up the goals against problem.

Midfield..... I think we've got more than enough talent there, maybe one addition who can play wide would supplement what we've already got.

Up front, keep what we've got and maybe a couple of additions to keep the main men on their toes. Kee won't be here next season (unless of course Leicester decide to release him surplus to requirements) but keeping Symes and Grant is a must. Also giving Chris Turner a contract is a must. Despite the lad being injured, he's shown more than enough to warrant another contract. It shows how high in regard the lad is held when other clubs ( including our rivals ) are sniffing around.

Released, for me would be :

Dunbavin, Murphy, Miles, Mullin.

I'd keep Richardson (providing he can get fit and prove it, his experience and ability would be like signing a new player)....

.....and McConville would be fringe next term, possibly going out on loan to get the lad some experience. I think he may prove to be another Grant given a little time and patience.

I don't think we've any chance of the play offs, even though still mathematicaly possible, so why not give a few fringe players a run??? I liked the look of Bee Ami, and maybe giving King a run and maybe one or two of the youngsters ???

Anyway, nice to be posting this type of post in March knowing we're safe!!!

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 09:25   #24
Senior Member+

Carpon - you've got it spot on - after watching Redash' link to the goals yesterday - Dunbavin was at fault for both IMHO. 1st he just dropped to the floor after the ball came through a crowd, but he should have seen the shot, 2nd, yes the ball had a wicked swerve on it, which he saved, but should have pushed it higher over the bar or alternatively in this case, should have followed the ball off the bar and either a. caught it or b. punched it clear. Comedy goal.Time to get a league goalkeeper in for next season. Are Charlton releasing any of theirs? Or maybe Man Utd want to dump Van de Sar for being in his 40's.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 11:31   #25
Senior Member+

Randolph is being released at the end of the season
Old 28-03-2010, 17:48   #26
God Member

Smile Re: New Contracts?

Mullin and Richardson must go, they have contributed nothing in the last 18 months and have cost us plenty in doing so!!

Chris, Phil and Jimmy, all have another season, so no issues there

Would like to see Kempo stay – he has been solid all season

Winnard has played good enough – out of position – to earn another year.

Would like to see Bobby, Symes and Kee stay with us, though I cannot see Symes staying with us

I would offer Proccy and Milesy another year and I think that Joyce has done enough to be offered another year.

McConville has not done enough for me and should go.

From what I have seen of Flynn, he is good, but cannot see him with us, as he has not been used enough.

Murphy has not had a chance for the second season in a row, so hard to comment on him.

Gary King falls into the same category, of not having been given a chance.

I would like to have similar replacements/loans for Bouzer and Lees, both have performed OK.

Bavs will be OK as a second keeper, but we need a good number one.

Overall, I think that we need new faces at the back, rather than up front.
If we could have improved as well in defence, as we have in attack, we would be in play-offs or above!!

Stay, in no order:- Bavs, Jimmy, Chris, Phil, Kempo, Bobby, Symes, Miles, Proccy, Winnard.

Go:- Mullin, Leam, McConville.

Of the players that we have on loan, I would love to have Kee, Lees and Flynn, signed up for us next season!!

Just my opinion, no doubt that Coley, amongst others, will have his own

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/

Last edited by VALAIRIAN; 28-03-2010 at 17:51.
VALAIRIAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 20:54   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

sure agree with yer 3 who should go, but think Dunbavin should make it 4, agree with carpon, a defence plays better with confidence in its keeper, never noticed a great deal in him. fer my money if stanley are to progress, coley needs to start afresh wi the keeper slot. Boozer will no doubt be gone back,
Old 09-04-2010, 15:38   #28
God Member

Smile Re: New Contracts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendle Red View Post
What is the hold up with the contracts supposedly offered to Bobby Grant & Michael Symes given that they are potentially both free to leave the Club in the Summer? ........

.......Is there a Long Term Business Plan for Stanley to become self sufficient?

Did not want to reply in the Ilyas radio thread, in case I felt the wrath of the mods

Isn't it the players who are stalling and not the club???

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 16:50   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
Did not want to reply in the Ilyas radio thread, in case I felt the wrath of the mods

Isn't it the players who are stalling and not the club???
Do we know that for sure

SFFS
Old 09-04-2010, 17:07   #30
God Member

This is the problem we dont know for sure what the situation is thoi think its not good up there, with all the uncertainty as we had this season u cant blame the players holding back a bit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..