Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should Graham Jones resign?
Yes 4 10.53%
No 34 89.47%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 08:37   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Should Graham Jones resign?

No Graham Jones should not resign....he is a hard working councillor who has the best interests of the ward he serves, in mind.
We would do well to have many more councillors like him....then maybe we could have the kind of town we could be proud of.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-05-2008, 08:38   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No Graham Jones should not resign....he is a hard working councillor who has the best interests of the ward he serves, in mind.
We would do well to have many more councillors like him....then maybe we could have the kind of town we could be proud of.
I think you have missed the point, Cyfr isn't saying shoul he resign as a councillor, he is asking whether he should resign as the local labour leader, which is an entirely different matter.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:38   #18
Beacon of light

Cyfr, all political parties are reliant on manipulation of figures......they do not, however, call them lies....they call it 'spin'.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:39   #19
God Member

Again, this thread is not about him resigning as councillor. Could a mod please make this more clear as people seem to be getting confused.

He got elected last night again by the electorate of his ward (well 26% of them!), nobody is calling for him to resign after he's been elected!
Old 02-05-2008, 08:40   #20
God Member

Quote:
Cyfr, all political parties are reliant on manipulation of figures......they do not, however, call them lies....they call it 'spin'.
The leaflet had lies. The twisting of figures was very distasteful and dishonest, but bits of the leaflet were completely WRONG.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:41   #21
Beacon of light

No....I take the point, but if he is a good councillor then surely he is just as good a Labour leader aa PB is a Conservative Leader....and I do not believe that PB hasn't stretched the truth on very many occasions and he hasn't resigned.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:42   #22
Beacon of light

Lies, Fibs, Untruths, Spin....they all mean the same thing.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:43   #23
God Member

Quote:
Lies, Fibs, Untruths, Spin....they all mean the same thing.
Spin doesn't incorrectly state something. It simply twists its meaning.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:43   #24
God Member

Quote:
No....I take the point, but if he is a good councillor then surely he is just as good a Labour leader aa PB is a Conservative Leader....and I do not believe that PB hasn't stretched the truth on very many occasions and he hasn't resigned.
Thats made your own point more clear, but when you say No and then talk about his role as a councillor in your reasoning it doesn't really make much sense

I agree with you though completely. I don't understand why anyone would think he should resign, I think he's done a decent job at both roles.

Who would you recommend take his place Cyfr?
Old 02-05-2008, 08:44   #25

[quote=Cyfr;570310]Again, this thread is not about him resigning as councillor. Could a mod please make this more clear as people seem to be getting confused.

quote]

Is that not your job, seeing as you created the thread???
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:45   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Thats made your own point more clear, but when you say No and then talk about his role as a councillor in your reasoning it doesn't really make much sense

I agree with you though completely. I don't understand why anyone would think he should resign, I think he's done a decent job at both roles.

A moderator labour member who doesn't hate the opposition. Somebody with some competence when it comes to understanding figures!

I'm sure Gayle would be up to it
Old 02-05-2008, 08:45   #27
God Member

[quote=onlyme;570318]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
Again, this thread is not about him resigning as councillor. Could a mod please make this more clear as people seem to be getting confused.

quote]

Is that not your job, seeing as you created the thread???
I can't change the original post or I would...
Old 02-05-2008, 08:47   #28
God Member

Quote:
A moderator labour member who doesn't hate the opposition. Somebody with some competence when it comes to understanding figures!

I'm sure Gayle would be up to it
Maybe you could do it, only thing you'd be lacking from what I gather from your perception of yourself is being a member of labour. Pretty sure you could fix that though
Old 02-05-2008, 08:48   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I just wonder how well they'd do without the blatant lies in their leaflets about council tax!
You may disagree with how the figures were arrived at, but using the findings from a national newspaper, a famously Tory newspaper, is not lieing.

If the Daily Telegraph had used the same calculations, and had named Hyndburn to be one of the ten cheapest places for council tax, you can rest assured the local Conservatives would have had the information blazened across all their election paphlets.

You are starting to come across as petty and vindictive, something David Cameron is supposed to be against. Didn't he say he would concentrate on his own party's policies, rather than attacking the opposition?

Maybe it's time you did the same, while you still have a leg to stand on.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:50   #30
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post

OK, so maybe in context of the question it didn't seem to make sense....but my justification was that in respect of his electors he is doing a good job......and I'm not sure who decides who should be leader of the labour group...but I bet it isn't the folk who recognise GJ for what he does that is positive, and ALL politicians use information to their own ends.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..