Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should Graham Jones resign?
Yes 4 10.53%
No 34 89.47%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008, 12:39   #166
God Member

Re: Should Graham Jones resign? 'labour group leader'

I've been puzzling over this for a while now but Cyfr, how do you actually know that they're not the most expensive - are you taking the word of someone else or taking information from any other poll? Or have you assessed every single council in the country and calculated the facts for yourself.

If all the councils were assessed on the same criteria then that is accurate information surely?

I understand your workings out from your blog and the use of Band D - but surely that is the means for an average assessment?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Last edited by Gayle; 06-05-2008 at 12:41.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-05-2008, 16:13   #167

Oh dont get him started again....
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 18:10   #168
God Member

It is probably worth noting that the three biggest rip offs in this country were before cyfr's time, ie, decimalisation, value added tax, and the poll tax, oh, and were all introduced by the tories, who started the mass council house sale?, who sold off the nationalised industries? killed off the coal mines? and destroyed trade unions? Or in short, made rich people even greedier and richer, and gave them more opportunities to be so?
Old 06-05-2008, 18:34   #169
Give, give, give member

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 18:52   #170
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
haha, very subtle, too much so perhaps rindy.
Old 06-05-2008, 22:49   #171
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I've been puzzling over this for a while now but Cyfr, how do you actually know that they're not the most expensive - are you taking the word of someone else or taking information from any other poll? Or have you assessed every single council in the country and calculated the facts for yourself.

If all the councils were assessed on the same criteria then that is accurate information surely?

I understand your workings out from your blog and the use of Band D - but surely that is the means for an average assessment?
No its not accurate just because they assessed them the same. Quite simply because every constituency has different numbers of band D housing. If a constituency has majority band D housing, you can assume the average wage will be that of somebody living in band D housing and therefore the telegraph figure will be much more representative. For those with majorities not in band D then it is simply not representative. It will make those with majority in housing below D seem expensive, and the reverse, make constituencies with the majority of housing above band D appear very cheap.

No I haven't looked at every council in Britain. Although if you look at how expensive councils are on the basis of how much the resident has to pay not in relation to income, and hence not skewed by averages, Hyndburn certainly doesn't appear in the top 10 according to the LATEST telegraph article (that's this year not January 2007). On the matter, since council tax has risen by only 45% less than half the rate the average council tax has increased, then the tax burden under the previous labour administration would have to have been HUGE.
Old 06-05-2008, 22:58   #172
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
No its not accurate just because they assessed them the same. Quite simply because every constituency has different numbers of band D housing. If a constituency has majority band D housing, you can assume the average wage will be that of somebody living in band D housing and therefore the telegraph figure will be much more representative. For those with majorities not in band D then it is simply not representative. It will make those with majority in housing below D seem expensive, and the reverse, make constituencies with the majority of housing above band D appear very cheap.

No I haven't looked at every council in Britain. Although if you look at how expensive councils are on the basis of how much the resident has to pay not in relation to income, and hence not skewed by averages, Hyndburn certainly doesn't appear in the top 10 according to the LATEST telegraph article (that's this year not January 2007). On the matter, since council tax has risen by only 45% less than half the rate the average council tax has increased, then the tax burden under the previous labour administration would have to have been HUGE.
I think this thread is tired............why not start a poll thread asking the good people of Accyweb:

'Do you think that the incumbent Prime Minister is up to the job'?
I must say the Greg Pope has sided with Frank Field to question the 10% change in basic tax...Good on him.
Even though the chancellor is considering rebates the basic rate of tax will remain 20% due to his budget

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 23:06   #173
God Member

This is getting boring!!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 23:12   #174
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
This is getting boring!!!!
Then why are you reading it?
Old 06-05-2008, 23:12   #175
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I think this thread is tired............why not start a poll thread asking the good people of Accyweb:

'Do you think that the incumbent Prime Minister is up to the job'?
I must say the Greg Pope has sided with Frank Field to question the 10% change in basic tax...Good on him.
Even though the chancellor is considering rebates the basic rate of tax will remain 20% due to his budget
Why don't you?
Old 06-05-2008, 23:19   #176
God Member

Quote:
Then why are you reading it?
Because I keep hoping rather naively that it might have got a bit more interesting
Old 06-05-2008, 23:24   #177
Give, give, give member

Quote:

I don't think you're ever destined to be one of the great political orators of history.

Hardly a rousing argument, with clear, well defined bullet points, to make what you say easily understandable.

Have you ever thought you might be better suited for a career in medicine, because I think you've definitely cured my insomnia.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 23:26   #178
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I don't think you're ever destined to be one of the great political orators of history.

Hardly a rousing argument, with clear, well defined bullet points, to make what you say easily understandable.

Have you ever thought you might be better suited for a career in medicine, because I think you've definitely cured my insomnia.
See what I mean Son?

Old 06-05-2008, 23:29   #179
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
See what I mean Son?
if ya only knew mate.
Old 06-05-2008, 23:31   #180
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
if ya only knew mate.
That wasn't a reference to what Garinda said it was a response to a PM.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..