Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-11-2010, 19:28   #166
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: TESCO - new site in Accrington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
It ain't open yet but they are already up to their tricks:

Expansion bid for Accrington Tesco (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Oh dear.
they should tell em to get stuffed unless this extra space is to accommodate the other 250 or so jobs they promised, but no doubt back handers will rule the day.
Old 15-11-2010, 19:55   #167
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
See half way down this page ;

107 The Bee - Bee Events
I must remember to get away to the Club soon enough to miss the crowds.
we came back from Wythenshawe Hospital today and the hospital transport car came though the back streets and by the new roundabout to Hyndburn road and I noticed the Christmas tree lit up in an upstairs window and few non British looking persons working (or loitering) about upstairs.

By the way the driver did nothing but rant on about our Council leader and how 90% of passengers who used the service detested him (not the driver).
Old 16-11-2010, 07:00   #168
God Member

Nice to see journalists grasp of maths is of the usual standard.

400 is 9.09% of 4400 not 10%....

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 12:34   #169

How do you expect a journalist to get their math correct? They struggle with their vocabulary, punctuation and spelling.
Old 18-11-2010, 11:15   #170
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
they should tell em to get stuffed unless this extra space is to accommodate the other 250 or so jobs they promised, but no doubt back handers will rule the day.

It was passed so I guess you were right
lancsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 16:37   #171
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
It was passed so I guess you were right
Oh what a surprise.
Old 18-11-2010, 19:57   #172

They should hang a massive banner outside saying BEND OVER ACCRINGTON YOU HAVE HAD YOUR BOTTOM WELL AND TRUELY SMACKED.
Reckon the council should import some tumbleweed for the town center.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 20:08   #173
God Member

The ironic thing is at the same meeting they turned down planning permission for a convenience store near the hospital because it would mean traffic chaos. Money talks eh
lancsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 20:40   #174

Surprising what a big fat brown envelope will do, alledgedly.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 21:38   #175
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
Surprising what a big fat brown envelope will do, alledgedly.
Or a big fat Dictator?
Old 19-11-2010, 09:59   #176
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The ironic thing is at the same meeting they turned down planning permission for a convenience store near the hospital because it would mean traffic chaos. Money talks eh

Was that turned down then ? The recommendation by the Planning Department was to approve this application.

Seems was adjacent to a garden in honour of Alan Benson's memory and his widow objected on the grounds that it would "detract from the peaceful ambience of the garden" Not knocking his widow's objection at all .. just wondered if the council saw it this way. LCC Highways had no objection.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 10:42   #177

how do they expect to attract business to a town centre dominated by the singularly most aggressive of the big 5 supermarkets to compete for trade, can't happen, won't happen. If regeneration is to happen don't let the supermarkets in !
Herbie
Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 13:56   #178
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Have been in new Tesco today, had occasion to go customer services, was dealt wi very well by a nice lass, happened to mention i thought it was a shame no petrol sales etc, which she agreed, but said this store is on trial! maybe one would arrive later,hopefully. which prompts me to question.
  1. I assume our council are aware its on trial?
  2. How long is this trial?
  3. Whats the likelihood of permission being granted if tesco choose to want one?
have to say first impressions of this store are very good, well set out, all staff i approached were very helpful. bearing in mind its the first day, but so far so good, saved me a trip to Blackburn.
Old 22-11-2010, 14:41   #179
Senior Member+

I went to ASDA this morning to shop instead of doing it online. My reason for this was to check out the store to see if was less busy than my last visit 6 months ago.
I had no trouble parking and my wife went straight to an empty check out, the check out girl said there was a lot less customers than usual..
Seems Tesco has taken a few customers or maybe the customers were just being nosey or able to say they were one of the first in the new store.
Old 22-11-2010, 14:44   #180
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I went to ASDA this morning to shop instead of doing it online. My reason for this was to check out the store to see if was less busy than my last visit 6 months ago.
I had no trouble parking and my wife went straight to an empty check out, the check out girl said there was a lot less customers than usual..
Seems Tesco has taken a few customers or maybe the customers were just being nosey or able to say they were one of the first in the new store.
i popped in asda this aft, was very quiet,

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..