Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-11-2009, 20:11   #46

Re: Does anyone know of the whereabouts of The ROE FAMILY OF CLAYTON LE MOORS

Hi Chrissy here's a clue, I used to play crown green bowls with your father Bill, at The Come and Welcome club, and I appear on my list re. Janet McCarthy Best wishes Old Saintonian.
Old Saintonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-11-2009, 20:13   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Saintonian View Post
Hi Chrissy here's a clue, I used to play crown green bowls with your father Bill, at The Come and Welcome club, and I appear on my list re. Janet McCarthy Best wishes Old Saintonian.
And did you go on the annual trip to Blackpool?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 21:08   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
And did you go on the annual trip to Blackpool?
And did you ever win the half crown for being the first one to spot the Tower?
Old 20-11-2009, 09:31   #49

Sure did Eric, never won spotting the tower first though, always seemed to be sat on the wrong side of the bus. However in later years went to Haydock races/bowling at a club near Wigan if my memory serves me well you could do one or the other, never that good on the horses although three card brag used to be quite profitable on the coach. Take care all, best wishes Old Saintonian. Happy Days !!!!!!!
Old 20-11-2009, 15:13   #50
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Yes I remember them. Chris went to a.g.s. Nigel I used to be very good friends with before they moved to Blackpool in the late 60's. They lived quite close to David and Peter Kenyon, just above Jack Cromptons Greengrocers and below the old sweet shop of a dear old lady, as someone said opposilte the jolly wash. Other people who lived in barnes street are Dennis Winkley John Pilkington Norman Mitchell Billy Marsden John and Christine Yarrington Danny Ireland Margaret and Helen Thornton the daughters of Jack Thornton the Barber and there are others I can't quite remember them all. Best wishes to you all THE OLD SAINTONIAN
Bill Marsden lived "Load Of Mischief" worked as a butcher wi me at "Slingers" in 63, lived right across the road on that street goin down, bought a motor bike off his brother.
Old 20-11-2009, 15:18   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Yes Stanley Collier was Satch he used to live near The Castle pub if I remember correctly. Now then Mr. Gilmartin, any relation to Kevin Gilmartin? who lived on Lower Barnes Street near, John,Tony and Phil Demaine, I think! Geoffrey Williams lived down there too. Along with little Jimmy Whelan and his big sister Linda. Mind you anyone was bigger than Jimmy. Now back to Barnes street who remembers Harry Lifflys' the wallpaper/paint shop, had some trouble with him used to kick a ball against his garage on Pickup street and knock paint cans off inside, seems funny now. I thionk the archer was Barbara Fielding mind you the big claim to fame in Clayton was the cyclist on Whalley roa Simpson I think his name was, now he was a star! Best wishes all Old Saintonian !!!!!!!
Geoff Williams older brother "Ricky" died tuesday,was living benidorm, mate told me this morning, worked wi ricky fer 20 odd yrs, was 59, R.I.P. rick.
Old 21-11-2009, 08:08   #52

Cyclist on Whalley Rd was Jack Spencer, I think he died about 20 yrs ago ran into the back of a milk truck or something, on Dill Hall Lane, correct me if Im wrong.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2009, 10:57   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
Come on give us a clue, you know all the people who lived near us, who are you Sorry keep forgetting to tick the box. This message is for Oldsaintonian
Well I've given you a clue,I'm on the list on my Janet McCarthy post, should be some help, also as I've said I used to play crown green bowls with your dad Bill at the Come and Welcome club, over to you Chrissy. Best wishes and kind regards Old Saintonian!!!!!!!
Old 22-11-2009, 10:59   #54

Talking of the Come and Welcome some stalwart names from the past there. Jimmy Parr, taught me snooker and bowls what a marvellous man, Peter Peel thought he owned the club, Tommy Bentley, Jack Worswick only the big wigs there eh!! Old Saintonian !!!!!!!
Old 22-11-2009, 13:33   #55
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Well I've given you a clue,I'm on the list on my Janet McCarthy post, should be some help, also as I've said I used to play crown green bowls with your dad Bill at the Come and Welcome club, over to you Chrissy. Best wishes and kind regards Old Saintonian!!!!!!!
It's not difficult to sort out who you are G.J... tis on your profile, if people know where to look ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 08:29   #56
God Member

Quote:
Talking of the Come and Welcome some stalwart names from the past there. Jimmy Parr, taught me snooker and bowls what a marvellous man, Peter Peel thought he owned the club, Tommy Bentley, Jack Worswick only the big wigs there eh!! Old Saintonian !!!!!!!
Does the name "Ted Berry" ring any bells?
Old 27-11-2009, 10:27   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
It's not difficult to sort out who you are G.J... tis on your profile, if people know where to look ...
Spoilsport !!!!!!! Katex, it would have been interesting to see how long it took Chrissie to work out my identity. Still good luck all. Old Saintonian !!!!!!!
Old 27-11-2009, 16:59   #58
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Spoilsport !!!!!!! Katex, it would have been interesting to see how long it took Chrissie to work out my identity. Still good luck all. Old Saintonian !!!!!!!
LOL .. thought it only fair to even the odds O.S. .. just think yourself lucky Chrissy didn't say anything derogatory about you ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 13:06   #59

Another name that comes to mind who lved in Barnes Street, anyone remember David Foster? I think he took up the cloth. Big Catholic family lived near the Richardsons. Take care out there Old Saintonian !!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2009, 13:47   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Another name that comes to mind who lved in Barnes Street, anyone remember David Foster? I think he took up the cloth. Big Catholic family lived near the Richardsons. Take care out there Old Saintonian !!!!!!!
Did that guy have red hair?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..