Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Christian Science (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/christian-science-19196.html)

Gayle 25-01-2006 18:14

Christian Science

Can anyone tell me anything about this organisation? Has anyone had any dealings with them? Does anyone know anyone who is a member or has participated? Any info would be useful. Thanks

WillowTheWhisp 25-01-2006 18:19

Re: Christian Science

I once went out with someone whose auntie was a Christian Scientist and she believed that illness was all in the mind but that may not have been official doctrine.

yerself 25-01-2006 18:56

They used to have a Church or reading rooms on Burnley Road, Accrington next to Accrington Garages the Vauxhall agents. Don't know whether it's still there though.

shakermaker 25-01-2006 18:59

don't know if this helps Gayle....just googled it for pages in the UK and got this:
http://www.csis.org.uk/

WillowTheWhisp 25-01-2006 19:01

It is still there next to the Vauxhall garage. The old building was replaced by a smaller more modern one set further back from the road. More or less opposite the end of Alice Street.

chav1 26-01-2006 15:44

isnt tom cruise a follower of a similar cult but like a millionairs version of it ...?

shakermaker 26-01-2006 15:46

Yes it's definately one of those 'trendy religions' amongst the Hollywood A-listers.....Madonna is a follower of it aswell I think.

WillowTheWhisp 26-01-2006 16:34

Madonna is a follower of Kaballah isn't she? Which is nothng to do with Christian Science.

yerself 26-01-2006 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by chav1
isnt tom cruise a follower of a similar cult but like a millionairs version of it ...?

Tom Cruise and John Travolta are followers of Scientology which is something different as far as I know.

http://www.scientology.org/

garinda 26-01-2006 16:42

The only thing I know about Christian Scientists is that Nancy Astor, the first woman to take her seat in the House of Commons, was one.

yerself 26-01-2006 16:58

Is there a difference between Christian Science and say Muslim or Jewish Science?

shakermaker 26-01-2006 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Madonna is a follower of Kaballah isn't she? Which is nothng to do with Christian Science.

I stand corrected!:rolleyes:

katex 26-01-2006 17:17

Once went to one of their meetings with a friend who was a 'member'.They believe in communication with dead souls, etc., and had had a scarey experience on a ouija board, and thought they could offer some comfort, however, after the visiting medium had pointed me out stating they had a message from Aunt Mary? "Sorry No" says I "Uncle Fred, cousin Sam, Uncle Tom Cobbler and all ?" After negative answers from myself, decided to give up the ghost so to speak.

WillowTheWhisp 26-01-2006 22:28

Are you sure that wasn't the Spiritualists?

simon 26-01-2006 22:33

I have talked to Christian Scientists in the past, all I can remember is this guy linking everthing with the solar system, everthing that happened had a link/explanation to science or the solar system......

Will try and remember or find out more, you have me thinking now....why do you wanna know gayle??????????

Gayle 27-01-2006 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by simon
I have talked to Christian Scientists in the past, all I can remember is this guy linking everthing with the solar system, everthing that happened had a link/explanation to science or the solar system......

Will try and remember or find out more, you have me thinking now....why do you wanna know gayle??????????

I'm organising an event in March and they have asked if they can have a stand and give a lecture. We're ok with the stand bit as that's open to any community group but we refused the lecture part. For a couple of reasons - it's not in keeping with the day to have lectures from any religious group as the whole event is multicultural and non-religious, but also because we don't have time in the programme anyway. But the phone call with the person was very difficult as she refused to accept that it was inappropriate for them to give a lecture and she was extremely persistant which piqued my interest in the organisation altogether as I like to know what I'm dealing with.

WillowTheWhisp 27-01-2006 09:01

How odd Gayle that they should insist on wanting to present a lecture. What other groups do you have involved with it? Is it the women's day or a diffrent event?

Gayle 27-01-2006 09:03

It's the Women's Day on the 11th March, yes. We have lots of groups involved from Hyndburn Enterprise Trust, The Women's Centre, East Lancs Advocacy, Capacity Building, Haworth Art Gallery, Adult Learning, Acc & Ross College and lots others. There will be workshops, tai chi, line dancing and lots of relaxing aromatherapy stuff. In other words, a really good mix of things that shouldn't be skewed by any one religion.

Neil 27-01-2006 11:34

OMG we are agreeing again. I agree that you should keep religion out of the day all together. As per usual religion would probably cause problems with the diversity of people you are trying to cater for.

shakermaker 27-01-2006 11:49

I hear about these 'Women's days' all over the place...not that I'm against them it's just what about us blokes? or is our 'day' every Saturday down at the IES? :D

garinda 27-01-2006 11:56

After doing a few searches to find out anymore about their beliefs, there is nothing really that contoversial, except in their attitudes to medecine, which is not unique to them.

They seem quite a liberal, welcoming lot, and in some quarters it's founder Mary Baker Eddy is seen as a feminist icon.

lettie 27-01-2006 12:42

I would be reticent about allowing any kind of religious lecture at such an event. If you let one religion lecture then you have to find room for them all and that would take away the very point of the day, ie, fun..... By all means accommodate their request for a stall and any other religion who would like to have them, but no lectures please. If they are not happy with just a stall then tell them to ****** off and let someone else have it..:D

katex 27-01-2006 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Are you sure that wasn't the Spiritualists?

Oh flippin' hek Willow, think you may be correct, a further public memory fog .. Science doesn't sit very well with contacting the dead does it ? Sorry, Gayle .. may have misled you on that one.:(

K99WARD 10-11-2013 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 233611)
Can anyone tell me anything about this organisation? Has anyone had any dealings with them? Does anyone know anyone who is a member or has participated? Any info would be useful. Thanks

Christian Science is a set of beliefs and practices belonging to the metaphysical – New Thought family of new religious movements. It was developed in the 19th century in the United States by Mary Baker Eddy (1821–1910), and was first described in her book Science and Health (1875), the religion's central text along with the Bible. Four years later Eddy founded The First Church of Christ, Scientist in Boston, Massachusetts.

The religion's adherents, known as Christian Scientists, subscribe to a radical form of philosophical idealism, believing that spiritual reality is the only reality and that the material world is an illusion. This includes the view that sickness and death are illusions caused by mistaken beliefs, and that the sick should be treated by a special form of prayer intended to correct those beliefs, rather than by medicine. Between the 1880s and 1990s the avoidance of medical care and vaccination led to the deaths of a number of adherents and their children; several parents and others were prosecuted for manslaughter or neglect and in a few cases convicted. A church spokesman said in 2010 that the church of today would not allow such deaths to occur.

The Accrington Church looks nice from the outside but there are many roads to hell but only one way to heaven (through Jesus Christ our Lord).

Boeing Guy 10-11-2013 10:12

So you find a old thread add some information about this group and finish with telling us to accept Jesus Christ.
Welcome to the forum, as its your first post, can we take it your a Christian who goes to church?

What if your Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Shinto etc, do you not get into heaven?

I consider my self a Christian, maybe a lasped one, but I try to be decent to my fellow human beings.

I hope your not going to start with the fire and brimstone to us heathens on here:D

K99WARD 10-11-2013 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boeing Guy (Post 1082792)
So you find a old thread add some information about this group and finish with telling us to accept Jesus Christ.
Welcome to the forum, as its your first post, can we take it your a Christian who goes to church?

What if your Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Shinto etc, do you not get into heaven?

I consider my self a Christian, maybe a lasped one, but I try to be decent to my fellow human beings.

I hope your not going to start with the fire and brimstone to us heathens on here:D

Hi Boeing Guy,
Nice to meet you. What you have said in your reply tells me a lot about yourself. First of all you are like thousands who think you are good enough for heaven by being good but by your confession describe yourself as being 'lapsed'.

The Christian faith is not about being good although it does help. It is about whom you believe. I myself take the bible as the word of God and what it says in there is my passport to heaven. We are told that the only way to heaven is by believing in Jesus Christ as the Son of God. We are told that he came down from heaven, born of a virgin (that is, supernaturally) and he did many good works, even raising the dead but that is NOT the reason he came on earth.

He came to die, as predicted by the prophets of the Old Testament. He came to die as a substitutional atonement for your sins and mine, in fact for everyone's sins. Yes, you are a sinner; we all are. It may take you some time to believe this. It took me 39 years. I used to listen to the vicar talking about sinners and wondering who they were until the penny dropped that they included everybody.

God demands a blood sacrifice for those sins, a pure and sinless sacrifice and that can only be met in the death of Christ. We are informed in John 3:16 that God so loved the world that he gave his only BEGOTTEN Son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have eternal life. We are not told of any other acceptable sacrifice. God rejected Cain's sacrifice because it was 'fruit of the earth'.

Well there you have it. All the other religions are FREE to believe it as well but not many do. We are told that the Christian road is a narrow way and few there be that find it. Will YOU be one of the few?

Boeing Guy 10-11-2013 10:52

It looks like we have differing views on how to live your life.
So no I will not be one of the Few, much as the vast majority of the Human Race.
Which kind of begs the question, why would God, who we are told is benevolent, forsake us.

I will not be drawn into a religious arguement, I respect your beliefs, it is a shame you see fit to question and judge mine.

Less 10-11-2013 11:08

Christian Science

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boeing Guy (Post 1082798)
So no I will not be one of the Few, much as the vast majority of the Human Race.
Which kind of begs the question, why would God, who we are told is benevolent, forsake us.

I will not be drawn into a religious arguement, I respect your beliefs, it is a shame you see fit to question and judge mine.

Amazing isn't it from a few short paragraphs this God botherer can take on the role of the almighty and so sentence you to an everlasting hell.
I've said it before and here I go again, if BG is not to get through those pearly gates the first person he will see is the person so conceited that he/she can proclaim what his/her God has in store for BG.
Something tells me perhaps whosoever you are it might on Remembrance Day for you to learn a little humility from those that have fallen?
They gave their lives so that you can pontificate about how others live their lives!
:(

K99WARD 10-11-2013 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boeing Guy (Post 1082798)

Hi Boeing Guy,

I am very grateful that you have given me a platform to speak although it was not my original intention. A forum member asked a question, albeit an old question and I decided to answer it after reading the other replies and deciding they didn't answer the question; but what is wrong with being old. We do not question the multiplication tables because they are old and neither should we question the word of God. He is able to redeem us or throw us into the everlasting lake of fire. We are told that he loves us and doesn't want anyone to perish but most people simply do not believe him and substitute something else in its place like maybe giving to some good cause. Now I would be the last person to say one shouldn't give to good causes but it is not what God requires of us. He has stated quite clearly what he wants. It is so simple that even a child can understand but we have a rebellious spirit and resist his will.

Margaret Pilkington 10-11-2013 11:26

because you believe(in) something does not automatically make it true.
You are fortunate to live in a country where you can speak of your views......but there are other views too...and other beliefs with their own set of believers.
Yes you answered a question, but the reason for the question is long gone. Gayle explained why she wanted to have some information...it was to allow her to make choices in respect of an event she was to be responsible for organising.

To be honest, if you want to be part of the forum and post on many and various topics then you will be made welcome.
If you are here as an evangelist, to promote your beliefs then I assure you, you have chosen a rocky road.
I am pleased that you have such strong faith......but there will be many on here who will not want to share it.

K99WARD 10-11-2013 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1082801)
Amazing isn't it from a few short paragraphs this God botherer can take on the role of the almighty and so sentence you to an everlasting hell.
I've said it before and here I go again, if BG is not to get through those pearly gates the first person he will see is the person so conceited that he/she can proclaim what his/her God has in store for BG.
Something tells me perhaps whosoever you are it might on Remembrance Day for you to learn a little humility from those that have fallen?
They gave their lives so that you can pontificate about how others live their lives!
:(

Hi, Less,

Nice to meet you. Amazing what a few lines of scripture will do! A friend of mine use to say that soldiers didn't give their lives, they had it taken from them. Thinking about the Accrington Pals who were almost wiped out in one day in the Great War, I can't help feeling that there was truth in his statement. I was never called upon to do service for the Queen and Country but I can't help feeling that the soldiers were asked to do far more than their duty. That is my view not the word of God.

MargaretR 10-11-2013 11:34

I view religion as a form of afterlife insurance - I don't need it but to those that do, it does provide some comfort.

I just wish there weren't so many pushy insurance salesmen about ;)

K99WARD 10-11-2013 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1082806)
because you believe(in) something does not automatically make it true.
You are fortunate to live in a country where you can speak of your views......but there are other views too...and other beliefs with their own set of believers.
Yes you answered a question, but the reason for the question is long gone. Gayle explained why she wanted to have some information...it was to allow her to make choices in respect of an event she was to be responsible for organising.

To be honest, if you want to be part of the forum and post on many and various topics then you will be made welcome.
If you are here as an evangelist, to promote your beliefs then I assure you, you have chosen a rocky road.
I am pleased that you have such strong faith......but there will be many on here who will not want to share it.

Hi Margaret,

Nice to meet you. I am well aware that the Christian road is a rocky one but I never shied away from truth, ever. If there are those who don't wish to hear my views then they should either ignore them or try a different forum. I am COMMANDED to declare God's views as expressed in the bible. I am aware that they will not be popular and may even tempt some to ignore forum rules in their replies but that is not for me to decide. I will not be gagged by majority mob rule, so as my dad used to say, they will have to lump it.

Less 10-11-2013 11:44

Christian Science

Quote:

Originally Posted by K99WARD (Post 1082807)
Hi, Winnie,

Nice to meet you. Amazing what a few lines of scripture will do! A friend of mine use to say that soldiers didn't give their lives, they had it taken from them. Thinking about the Accrington Pals who were almost wiped out in one day in the Great War, I can't help feeling that there was truth in his statement. I was never called upon to do service for the Queen and Country but I can't help feeling that the soldiers were asked to do far more than their duty. That is my view not the word of God.

I forgive you if calling me 'Winnie' is some form of humour.

I do not forgive you for using the site as a soap box to spout your half cocked religious beliefs.

Strange how when people want to frighten others into religion they tend to display 'God' as unforgiving and wrathful, a touch too much Old Testament for me.

I prefer:-
1/ God gave us free will.
2/ Jesus died for our sins.

Therefore we haven't got to go seeking a get out of Hell card, in some desperate attempt to avoid hot pokers up our bottoms for eternity.
We all will have a free, complimentary ticket to the heavenly amusement park and will be attended by friendly hosts.
Oh, and there won't be a sign on the gates saying, 'you have to be this good to enter'.

Margaret welcomed you to the site, perhaps you should heed her advice? God moves in mysterious ways, perhaps it's time for you to listen to folk and not preach?

K99WARD 10-11-2013 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1082810)
I view religion as a form of afterlife insurance - I don't need it but to those that do, it does provide some comfort.

I just wish there weren't so many pushy insurance salesmen about ;)

Hi again,

Many make light of God but a day will come when many will rue it. I come from an era when nobody would openly dispute about God. Maybe it was because of war, when many were frightened but now it is common to show disbelief. God does not give immediate punishment for our sins or we should all be dead. He waits patiently for us to repent of them but there is a day of reckoning when we shall all answer for them. Shall we be like the wise virgins who had their lamps filled and trimmed ready or like the foolish ones who panicked at the last minute and were shut out from the feast?

Boeing Guy 10-11-2013 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by K99WARD (Post 1082811)
Hi Margaret,

Nice to meet you. I am well aware that the Christian road is a rocky one but I never shied away from truth, ever. If there are those who don't wish to hear my views then they should either ignore them or try a different forum. I am COMMANDED to declare God's views as expressed in the bible. I am aware that they will not be popular and may even tempt some to ignore forum rules in their replies but that is not for me to decide. I will not be gagged by majority mob rule, so as my dad used to say, they will have to lump it.

So its okay to ignore what the Majority want......sounds like a Dictatorship to me.

Could you please show me, i dont have a bible or any such texts at home, where God COMMANDS you to declare his views?

Margaret Pilkington 10-11-2013 11:56

I said nothing at all about mob rule..those were your words.
There are many many ways in which you can promote your faith...just as there are many ways in which we can serve our creator...and Less is right to say that we were given Free will...the ability to choose.
Many people have fallen out of religion for a number of reasons.....the organised church(all denominations) has proved to be rotten at its core....and it may promote the bible and its teachings but has been found wanting in practising what it preaches.

There are many of us on here who have our own faith, our own spirituality and do not need you to be(and I say this with the utmost respect) preaching at us.
There are more subtle ways in which points can be got across to a doubting audience.
It seems that you do not possess those skills.

Less 10-11-2013 12:08

Christian Science

What conceit you do have?
First day onsite, telling us everyone is out of step but you.
Then having the nerve to suggest that long term members should lump it or go to another forum!
Well you might be one of Gods self appointed moderators, but you don't have any authority on this site.
;)

K99WARD 10-11-2013 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boeing Guy (Post 1082815)
So its okay to ignore what the Majority want......sounds like a Dictatorship to me.

Could you please show me, i dont have a bible or any such texts at home, where God COMMANDS you to declare his views?

I could show you and will show you if you insist, Boeing Guy but why take my word for it? We live in an age of unbelief on a scale never known before and yet we have an Internet resource also on a scale never been known before either. I recommend a Google search. When one does one's own research it always sticks in the brain better. I am a great believer in exercising the brain: something that never happens watching Coronation Street which instead acts as an anaesthetic. They used to say that religion was the opium of the people—now it's TV!

Less 10-11-2013 12:28

Christian Science

Are you going to sit in this thread for the rest of your life? If so, what a waste.

Why not do a few searches? Around the site?

There are some really evil threads that need the Lords guidance, I know, I started most of them.

:);)

Boeing Guy 10-11-2013 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by K99WARD (Post 1082819)
I could show you and will show you if you insist, Boeing Guy but why take my word for it? We live in an age of unbelief on a scale never known before and yet we have an Internet resource also on a scale never been known before either. I recommend a Google search. When one does one's own research it always sticks in the brain better. I am a great believer in exercising the brain: something that never happens watching Coronation Street which instead acts as an anaesthetic. They used to say that religion was the opium of the people—now it's TV!

Already tried, i got over a million hits..........
Funny you should mention the mind, I am open to any views, even those that are so blinkered but to believe blindly in a book.

I give up, you are not prepared to discuss this with any logic, thats the problem with Religion, it does not allow Science, or any form of logic to enter into it.
Dinosaurs.......evolution for example....
I will not waste my day any longer, as you refuse to listen to mine or anyone elses side, you blindly ignore 'mob rule' and will force Gods word on to us.

Margaret Pilkington 10-11-2013 12:38

Having religion forced upon you is one of the sure fire ways to turn people away.
When the Mormons or the Jehovah's witnesses are in the street, you see people hurriedly shut their doors.
That should tell you something.
If I want a sermon, there is a very welcoming church only ten minutes walk away from me.
I do not want a sermon...so I will say to you this is the end of my participation in this discussion.
Good luck on your commanded task, and have a nice life.

Less 10-11-2013 12:45

Christian Science

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boeing Guy (Post 1082821)
even those that are so blinkered but to believe blindly in a book.

Do you mean this book BG?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suRzway95yI&sns=em

:)

K99WARD 10-11-2013 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1082817)
What conceit you do have?
First day onsite, telling us everyone is out of step but you.
Then having the nerve to suggest that long term members should lump it or go to another forum!
Well you might be one of Gods self appointed moderators, but you don't have any authority on this site.
;)

Hi again Less,
We are told in the scriptures that it is the broad road that leads to destruction and ........

"Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and MANY there be which go in thereat:"

It's so easy on the Internet. I have given up using my scripture program as it is so much quicker to use Google. I wouldn't say I was God's moderator but I have studied his word but just to make sure I also check on what other outstanding bible teachers have to say too. It's a kind of belt and braces if you like. Children like to say, "my dad's bigger than your dad" and I am one of God's children.

DaveinGermany 10-11-2013 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by K99WARD (Post 1082814)
be like the wise virgins who had their lamps filled and trimmed ready

"Lamps" I've heard plenty of names for a nonny, but that's a new one on me! And seeing as I'm already on the list of the damned! Taking the pish out of yet another over zealous contributor to a monotonic subject, has absolutely no fears for me thank you very much.

I know it's Sunday & all that, but preaching at folks certainly won't do you any favours fella, especially on here, we're far to cynical, jaded & world weary. So why don't you go find yourself a happy little Sunday school or church hall were your efforts would be more appreciated & probably more successful.

Less 10-11-2013 12:53

Christian Science

Quote:

Originally Posted by K99WARD (Post 1082824)
Hi again Less,
We are told in the scriptures that it is the broad road that leads to destruction and ........

"Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and MANY there be which go in thereat:"

It's so easy on the Internet. I have given up using my scripture program as it is so much quicker to use Google. I wouldn't say I was God's moderator but I have studied his word but just to make sure I also check on what other outstanding bible teachers have to say too. It's a kind of belt and braces if you like. Children like to say, "my dad's bigger than your dad" and I am one of God's children.

YOU are told not we.
I have had religion coming out of my ears I choose my own path, it is often littered with the corpses of those that insist they a right and I am wrong.
Funnily enough, those that I meet and allow me my own way, find that I am more than willing to allow them theirs.
So stick that in your Holy Grail and drink it!

K99WARD 10-11-2013 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1082822)
Having religion forced upon you is one of the sure fire ways to turn people away.
When the Mormons or the Jehovah's witnesses are in the street, you see people hurriedly shut their doors.
That should tell you something.
If I want a sermon, there is a very welcoming church only ten minutes walk away from me.
I do not want a sermon...so I will say to you this is the end of my participation in this discussion.
Good luck on your commanded task, and have a nice life.

Hi again Margaret,
We don't get Mormons round our way but I have invited them from work in the past. We get plenty of JW's though and surprise, surprise, they give my house a wide berth. We occasionally get new ones who don't know and have to be rescued from turning blue with cold by their colleagues. I did once complain to their head office that they were not doing their job properly and they sent two of their senior people round but they keep well clear these days.

I am glad that you at least think about going to church Margaret but very much more is required than just thinking. The bible says, "ye must be born again."

Less 10-11-2013 13:02

Christian Science

Still not checking out the rest of the site I see, makes me suspect you're a one trick pony.
I look forward to you proving you actually have a mind of your own.
They do say that there is a rule, as soon as Hitler or The Nazis are mentioned the thread has gone on too long.
So there it is an end to this magic roundabout.

No need to thank me.

K99WARD 10-11-2013 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1082827)
YOU are told not we.
I have had religion coming out of my ears I choose my own path, it is often littered with the corpses of those that insist they a right and I am wrong.
Funnily enough, those that I meet and allow me my own way, find that I am more than willing to allow them theirs.
So stick that in your Holy Grail and drink it!

Hi Less,
You are very fortunate to have had religion coming out of your ears but as the scriptures say, "For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required". I came to Christianity late (but not too late).

Frank Sinatra used to sing, "I did it my way" but was his way the right one? At the judgement we shall all receive what is due to us. We are told that straw burns and is destroyed. Shall our works be works of straw?

susie123 10-11-2013 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by K99WARD (Post 1082824)
I wouldn't say I was God's moderator but I have studied his word but just to make sure I also check on what other outstanding bible teachers have to say too. It's a kind of belt and braces if you like. Children like to say, "my dad's bigger than your dad" and I am one of God's children.

I thought DtheP was arrogant but this person beats him hollow.

BTW I have had anaesthesia several times recently. I also watch Coronation Street and have to say there is no comparison between the two. I consider myself an intelligent person who does not happen to hold any spiritual beliefs whatsoever and I respect your stance but please do not expect everyone to bow the knee just because you say your god says so in a few-thousand-year-old book written for Bronze Age tribesmen.

I will refrain from anything which might be considered a more personal attack.

Boeing Guy 10-11-2013 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1082823)
THE BIBLE IS FICTITIOUS!!! - YouTube

Thats the one:D

K99WARD 10-11-2013 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1082820)
Are you going to sit in this thread for the rest of your life? If so, what a waste.

Why not do a few searches? Around the site?

There are some really evil threads that need the Lords guidance, I know, I started most of them.

:);)

Hi Less,

Well as has been pointed out to me, I am a new guy here but not to Christianity. On Friday I passed the Christian Science church in Accrington and was surprised at how well kept it is. I decided to see what they believed and looked them up. Then I saw this request as to what they believed and decided to answer it. I didn't really expect a reply but thanks guys for doing so. I try never to give my own opinions but just to quote what God says in his word. It seems to stir up the devil sleeping in people. That is their problem, not mine. We are told "Mark 16:15 - Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature."

There, I've done Boeing Guy's homework for him and got it in one.

DaveinGermany 10-11-2013 13:38

Just out of curiosity (you know, that thing that killed the Moggie) I had a quick skeg of our new contributors profile. Well 76 eh? So you've had a few good years out of this world & now that things are getting a bit close to the bone, you're hedging your bets I see.

That's fine mate, you crack on & draw whatever comfort you can from "your belief", but as to the rest of us unrepentant sinners, we're quite happily cruising along in our own little ways & worlds. Religion mate, is a crutch/crux/ crock, depending on your viewpoint & position, that said it's also a personal thing, like boils, hygiene, & dangly bits, basically best kept private & to yourself. Nobody wants it rammed down their throat, or rubbed under their noses (unless of course you're of a certain sexual bent or political class).

So in effect what I'm saying is, you're probably better off keeping shtum on the subject & most definitely don't go try forcing your views on the average unconvinced/unconcerned citizenry, believe me it'll make your future (participation?) on these boards much more enjoyable.

K99WARD 10-11-2013 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1082838)
I thought DtheP was arrogant but this person beats him hollow.

BTW I have had anaesthesia several times recently. I also watch Coronation Street and have to say there is no comparison between the two. I consider myself an intelligent person who does not happen to hold any spiritual beliefs whatsoever and I respect your stance but please do not expect everyone to bow the knee just because you say your god says so in a few-thousand-year-old book written for Bronze Age tribesmen.

I will refrain from anything which might be considered a more personal attack.

Hi Susie,

Is this DtheP any good at the elbow game?

Less 10-11-2013 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by K99WARD (Post 1082840)
Hi Less,

We are told "Mark 16:15 - Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature."

There, I've done Boeing Guy's homework for him and got it in one.

Very Junior School to keep quoting something that was put together several hundred years after the events supposedly happened.

However if it makes your day:-

I believe, Oh Lordy, Lordy, I believe, thank you Bwana for leading this sinner into the light, never again to do anything but Gods work, now, a problem, which God should I choose?

Family Guy - Oh, lordy lordy! I'll never roam again! - YouTube

Brian just about sums you up by the way.
:end:

K99WARD 10-11-2013 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1082841)
Just out of curiosity (you know, that thing that killed the Moggie) I had a quick skeg of our new contributors profile. Well 76 eh? So you've had a few good years out of this world & now that things are getting a bit close to the bone, you're hedging your bets I see.

That's fine mate, you crack on & draw whatever comfort you can from "your belief", but as to the rest of us unrepentant sinners, we're quite happily cruising along in our own little ways & worlds. Religion mate, is a crutch/crux/ crock, depending on your viewpoint & position, that said it's also a personal thing, like boils, hygiene, & dangly bits, basically best kept private & to yourself. Nobody wants it rammed down their throat, or rubbed under their noses (unless of course you're of a certain sexual bent or political class).

So in effect what I'm saying is, you're probably better off keeping shtum on the subject & most definitely don't go try forcing your views on the average unconvinced/unconcerned citizenry, believe me it'll make your future (participation?) on these boards much more enjoyable.

Hi Dave in Germany,

How do you make out with the square heads? They keep telling me I have many more years yet but it's all these pills that are doing it. Did you hear about the guy who heckled a preacher not to ram his preaching down his throat? With a bit of quick repartee the preacher told him to keep his mouth shut.

Less 10-11-2013 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by K99WARD (Post 1082844)
Hi Dave in Germany,

How do you make out with the square heads?

:rofl38:

How's that for tolerance?

Quote:

They keep telling me I have many more years yet but it's all these pills that are doing it.

Don't blame the pills, ask you God for forgivness after all your suffering must have been passed on to you by your Fathers?

Another nasty religious piece of propaganda whatever could a forgiving God have against children?
Quote:

Did you hear about the guy who heckled a preacher not to ram his preaching down his throat? With a bit of quick repartee the preacher told him to keep his mouth shut.

So, we have found out what you think is funny?

Pathetic, just like your bigotted thoughts.
In case you've forgotten:-

Quote:

Hi Dave in Germany,

How do you make out with the square heads?

:rofl38:

DaveinGermany 10-11-2013 14:14

Quote:

Hi Dave in Germany,How do you make out with the square heads?

Same way as you do with any nationality, but at your age ...... well you've probably forgotten how it's done. :rolleyes:

Did you hear about the guy who heckled a preacher not to ram his preaching down his throat?

Er, That'll be a no!

With a bit of quick repartee

10 minutes later? Quick? You might need some new tablets Fella :rolleyes:

the preacher told him to keep his mouth shut.

Was he a little choirboy then? :confused:

Hopefully I've managed to answer your questions & all without recourse to some book.

maxthecollie 10-11-2013 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1082848)
Hopefully I've managed to answer your questions & all without recourse to some book.

Nice One Dave

DtheP47 10-11-2013 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by K99WARD (Post 1082842)
Hi Susie,

Is this DtheP any good at the elbow game?

No but I do like Guy Edward John Garvey's music and his patronage of the Mines Advisory Group ;)

Restless 10-11-2013 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by K99WARD (Post 1082788)
The Accrington Church looks nice from the outside but there are many roads to hell but only one way to heaven (through Jesus Christ our Lord).

Great. Just what we need on this site- another nutjob.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1082823)
THE BIBLE IS FICTITIOUS!!! - YouTube

Funny. This is what I think of whenever the bible is mentioned.

egg&chips 10-11-2013 15:57

Thank God for the human mind and the society that allows us all to debate and share our beliefs. I too count myself as a Christian and fully support K99 in his attempt to raise a greater awareness of Jesus in the world. He feels himself to be "COMMANDED" to share his beliefs and must do so in order to fulfill his duty. My form of evangelism is more subtle and probably insipid as a result. I share my faith in person when asked about why I do some of the things I do. My belief in Bible truth is also less rigid/strong than K99's as I acknowledge that the written word is ALWAYS susceptible to the whims and prejudices of authors, publishers and promoters in any context.
I think that those who label K99 as arrogant may be inaccurate as he is doing what he genuinely believes his boss his telling him to do. I witness like minded souls on a weekly basis in the city shouting at people to accept the love of The Lord. I personally find such an approach to gaining believers puzzling and a little upsetting, but again have to bear in mind that these people truly believe that what they are doing is what God wants them to do and that they are doing it for the good of the people they are reaching out to.
I believe that we are all unique individuals and that whatever road to salvation we choose to follow (or not!!) is largely down to our own genetic make up coupled with the ongoing conditioning of the environment we inhabit. Therefore everybody's input into this particular conversation is all that it should be in it's sentiment but perhaps less than all it should be in its understanding and tolerance of opposing opinion.
I find it fascinating that religion evokes such strong emotions in so many people, even those who claim to have no spiritual leanings whatsoever. I personally detest religion for religion's sake, and view it as a business venture to rival prostitution in its longevity and ( in some cases ) it's appalling nature. My dad used to point out that more wars were started over religion than anything else (although he could'nt produce the stats to prove it, bless him) which kind of backs up my abhorrence of so many organised religions.
This exchange of opinion is therefore healthy I think, but please don't expect K99 to change his mind or be shamefaced by any counter arguments. The more people object to his mode of thought, the greater will be his resolve to share it.

Less 10-11-2013 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by egg&chips (Post 1082864)
The more people object to his mode of thought, the greater will be his resolve to share it.

Absolutely, though it did help pass a dull Sunday.

Though he might consider starting his own website rather than try to commandeer this one.
:D

K99WARD 10-11-2013 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by egg&chips (Post 1082864)
Thank God for the human mind and the society that allows us all to debate and share our beliefs. I too count myself as a Christian and fully support K99 in his attempt to raise a greater awareness of Jesus in the world. He feels himself to be "COMMANDED" to share his beliefs and must do so in order to fulfill his duty. My form of evangelism is more subtle and probably insipid as a result. I share my faith in person when asked about why I do some of the things I do. My belief in Bible truth is also less rigid/strong than K99's as I acknowledge that the written word is ALWAYS susceptible to the whims and prejudices of authors, publishers and promoters in any context.
I think that those who label K99 as arrogant may be inaccurate as he is doing what he genuinely believes his boss his telling him to do. I witness like minded souls on a weekly basis in the city shouting at people to accept the love of The Lord. I personally find such an approach to gaining believers puzzling and a little upsetting, but again have to bear in mind that these people truly believe that what they are doing is what God wants them to do and that they are doing it for the good of the people they are reaching out to.
I believe that we are all unique individuals and that whatever road to salvation we choose to follow (or not!!) is largely down to our own genetic make up coupled with the ongoing conditioning of the environment we inhabit. Therefore everybody's input into this particular conversation is all that it should be in it's sentiment but perhaps less than all it should be in its understanding and tolerance of opposing opinion.
I find it fascinating that religion evokes such strong emotions in so many people, even those who claim to have no spiritual leanings whatsoever. I personally detest religion for religion's sake, and view it as a business venture to rival prostitution in its longevity and ( in some cases ) it's appalling nature. My dad used to point out that more wars were started over religion than anything else (although he could'nt produce the stats to prove it, bless him) which kind of backs up my abhorrence of so many organised religions.
This exchange of opinion is therefore healthy I think, but please don't expect K99 to change his mind or be shamefaced by any counter arguments. The more people object to his mode of thought, the greater will be his resolve to share it.

From now on egg and chips is my favourite meal. :egged:

K99WARD 10-11-2013 16:35

There have been one or two criticisms of me not frequenting other threads but I have such difficulty in finding this one I may get lost and never return. Now I know that all you atheists will hate that. I always did like Accrington (I love their bricks). My wife always hated it having gone to school there and worked there too but I like the town and I love the market. Markets seem to be dying out but I am glad that Accrington have kept theirs. I have even been praised for providing a little entertainment on a dull Sunday and that is gratifying too.

I believe that anyone who can't stand their corner is not likely to convince anybody else but it is God who saves the soul and not man. We are told that he draws us and we are to act on that drawing. It may be that we cannot recognise it at first but the God who made the soul also knows how to draw him also.

James 4:8
King James Version (KJV)
8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

Less 10-11-2013 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by K99WARD (Post 1082869)
James 4:8
King James Version (KJV)
8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

I tell you what, why not P.M. Roy the owner?

I'm sure he would rent you the space on his second server so that you can talk about God and Jesus to your hearts content.
After all he's making a profit from porn over on that one he won't mind profiting from a prophet, you would feel at home talking about the second cumming.
http://www.foynls.co.uk/phpbb/images/smilies/winker.gif

Less 10-11-2013 16:54

Quote:

There have been one or two criticisms of me not frequenting other threads but I have such difficulty in finding this one I may get lost and never return.

But the Lord thy God would be your shining beacon of light he will lead you so long as you a prepared to follow.

Or are you of too little faith?

Wynonie Harris 10-11-2013 16:59

A real, live, bible-quoting Godbotherer! We haven't had one of them on here for ages! Think you might be wasting your time here, mate!

Margaret Pilkington 10-11-2013 17:01

I said that my input to this thread was finished...but sometimes you have to break your own rules...and for this I apologise in advance.
I just wanted to say that I like the post that Egg and Chips has submitted.

To be a christian you do not have to nail your colours to the mast......you do not have to subscribe to organised religious worship.

God(if there is one) will hear your prayer whether you are in the humblest hovel or the most glorious Cathedral.....to God(if there is one) the surroundings where you pray are of no consequence.
To me, my spirituality is private.
When I was a child my mother would take me to mass...we would see the congregation spill out of church and into the nearest hostelry. I omce commented on this and for my sins got taken to an early mass...which was nearly all old folk and mothers with children.(and the early mass was in Latin - hard to follow)

My take on evangelism is, that subtle is best...you need not let the lion know you are after his hide, because he may just turn round and savage you.

And you are so right about religion for the sake of religion......it is a business and it rakes in more money than we could ever believe...money that would feed the starving poor until their bellies were full.

I don't find K99 arrogant......just misguided in his approach to making converts....in preaching to those who do not want to hear this message...who have told him this.
This is not the time or the place...and it is certainly the wrong way of going about things.
Now I truly am finished.

K99WARD 10-11-2013 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1082812)
I forgive you if calling me 'Winnie' is some form of humour.

I do not forgive you for using the site as a soap box to spout your half cocked religious beliefs.

Strange how when people want to frighten others into religion they tend to display 'God' as unforgiving and wrathful, a touch too much Old Testament for me.

I prefer:-

Therefore we haven't got to go seeking a get out of Hell card, in some desperate attempt to avoid hot pokers up our bottoms for eternity.
We all will have a free, complimentary ticket to the heavenly amusement park and will be attended by friendly hosts.
Oh, and there won't be a sign on the gates saying, 'you have to be this good to enter'.

Margaret welcomed you to the site, perhaps you should heed her advice? God moves in mysterious ways, perhaps it's time for you to listen to folk and not preach?

Calling you Winnie was a genuine error on my part which I later corrected. It does take a little time to get used to a new forum as they are all slightly different. I used to be top poster by a long way at HOMEWITHGOD forum but it eventually closed down. I had no idea that there was such an interesting one so near to home.

You are perfectly correct in your preferences. What many people forget is that having been given free will we will be judged on it. It is not intended to be the kind of free will where one does as one pleases but free to do as God requires. Jesus did indeed die for our sins. One hopes that he did not die in vain. It is a vain hope that we can be saved by 'being good' because no one is good enough, no one!

Margaret Pilkington 10-11-2013 17:14

K99........get down off the cross....We need the wood, the fire has gone out,

DaveinGermany 10-11-2013 17:17

Quote:

I have such difficulty in finding this one

So, doesn't that tell you quite a lot about the views concerning religion on here?

Less 10-11-2013 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by K99WARD (Post 1082881)
Calling you Winnie was a genuine error on my part which I later corrected.

Hey don't worry about it, I have a forgiving nature and can tolerate those that tolerate others.

Quote:

It does take a little time to get used to a new forum as they are all slightly different. I used to be top poster by a long way at HOMEWITHGOD forum but it eventually closed down. I had no idea that there was such an interesting one so near to home.

Oh, Dear so, how long have you been cast out into the wilderness of the WWW 40 days? 40 nights?
All of the above?

So you managed to close down one website and thought you would come along and do the same for us?

Well gee thank's, help like yours we don't need.
Quote:

You are perfectly correct in your preferences.

You don't know what my preferences are, but I bet you have a Biblical quote standing by just in case, (why does Leviticus spring to mind for me? must learn to google).

Quote:

What many people forget is that having been given free will we will be judged on it. It is not intended to be the kind of free will where one does as one pleases but free to do as God requires. Jesus did indeed die for our sins. One hopes that he did not die in vain. It is a vain hope that we can be saved by 'being good' because no one is good enough, no one!

Cheap salesmans tricks, offers you something that doesn't quite match what's written on the box.

K99WARD 10-11-2013 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1082882)
K99........get down off the cross....We need the wood, the fire has gone out,

Hi Margaret,

Lift High the Cross - YouTube

Less 10-11-2013 17:37

Just remembered, haven't seen LancYorkYankee on here for a fair while, now there was a very nice but dedicated God botherer, came all the way from America to go to an AccyWeb meet and to bring me a religious pamphlet.
Still got the pamphlet as a keepsake, got him to sign it, it's in my bookcase unopened just like my family Bible.

:cool:

Wynonie Harris 10-11-2013 17:40

Quote:

I used to be top poster by a long way at HOMEWITHGOD forum but it eventually closed down.

Why does this not surprise me?

K99WARD 10-11-2013 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1082884)
Hey don't worry about it, I have a forgiving nature and can tolerate those that tolerate others.

Oh, Dear so, how long have you been cast out into the wilderness of the WWW 40 days? 40 nights?
All of the above?

So you managed to close down one website and thought you would come along and do the same for us?

Well gee thank's, help like yours we don't need.

You don't know what my preferences are, but I bet you have a Biblical quote standing by just in case, (why does Leviticus spring to mind for me? must learn to google).

Cheap salesmans tricks, offers you something that doesn't quite match what's written on the box.

Hi,

I didn't close down a web site. They managed to do it without me. It was a good web site with many interesting features but the site owners went AWOL.

You did quote your preferences in your post, namely,

I am not a clairvoyant but I can read.

K99WARD 10-11-2013 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1082892)
Just remembered, haven't seen LancYorkYankee on here for a fair while, now there was a very nice but dedicated God botherer, came all the way from America to go to an AccyWeb meet and to bring me a religious pamphlet.
Still got the pamphlet as a keepsake, got him to sign it, it's in my bookcase unopened just like my family Bible.

:cool:

The bible is the most owned book in the world and also the least read. One wonders why when one can read it online absolutely free of charge. There is a mind boggling number of versions here : Read The Bible Online

Restless 10-11-2013 17:49

You miss something rather obvious egg&chips and that this is another case of somebody joining up to the site and searching for a specific subject to start spouting off their crap. Funny how they always pick threads that are years in the past

Less 10-11-2013 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by K99WARD (Post 1082896)
Hi,

I didn't close down a web site. They managed to do it without me. It was a good web site with many interesting features but the site owners went AWOL.

Tsk, can't trust anyone these days can you?
Quote:

Hi,

You did quote your preferences in your post, namely,

Those aren't preferences, those are the very basis of your religion.

Quote:

Hi,

I am not a clairvoyant but I can read.

I bet you are, let me help, just let your mind go blankish don't want you losing control of your bodily functions...

...Now concentrate...

...No I mean really concentrate...

...there easy isn't it? You are now getting the vibrations of what I'm thinking.
What a shame you can't use such language on site to confirm the success, we'd both be banned.

Eric 10-11-2013 17:51

I just wish he would quit saying "hi" to folks who think he's a misguided jesus freak. Maybe there's more than one of us on here who has spiritual dimension to his/her life ... I know I have; its called rum. Although I can recommend southern egg nog: egg nog, bourbon, and brandy:theband: Of course, one can spice it up with a little rum (or a lot of rum).

By the way, I am tending towards admitting there is intelligent design in the Universe, most of it imposed by the human mind. But I don't see much evidence of intelligent design in this nutbar's posts. And please don't say "Hi Eric." I don't know you; and if I did, I know that I wouldn't like you one damn bit. Have a nice day, eh. Tabernac'.

K99WARD 10-11-2013 18:11

Question: "What does the Bible say about scoffers?"

Answer: The word translated "scoffer" in English can mean "one who mocks, ridicules, or scorns the belief of another." In Hebrew, the word translated "scoffer" or "mocker" can also mean "ambassador." So a scoffer is one who not only disagrees with an idea, but he also considers himself an ambassador for the opposing idea. He cannot rest until he has demonstrated the foolishness of any idea not his own. A scoffer voices his disagreement, ridicules all who stand against him, and actively recruits others to join his side. In the Bible, scoffers are those who choose to disbelieve God and His Word. They say in their hearts, "There is no God" (Psalm 14:1), and make it their ambition to ridicule those who follow God.

The Bible has a lot to say about scoffers (Proverbs 19:29; 29:8; Acts 13:41). Proverbs 3:34 says that God "scoffs at the scoffers, yet He gives grace to the afflicted." Psalm 1:1 gives us clear instruction about how to deal with scoffers: "How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stand in the path of sinners, nor sit in the seat of scoffers" (NASB). The progression of unbelief begins with listening to ungodly counsel and ends with joining the scoffers. The Bible warns us not to entertain the company of those who actively ridicule our faith, or we risk having that faith destroyed. Proverbs 13:20 says, "Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm" (ESV).

We cannot totally escape the presence of scoffers. They were active in Jesus' day, and we continue to hear from them today. Jesus told His disciples, “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you" (John 15:18–19). A Christian should "always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks . . . to give the reason for the hope that you have" (1 Peter 3:15). However, when we cease to be the influencers and start to become the influenced, it is time to "shake the dust off our feet" (Matthew10:14; Mark 6:11; Luke 10:11).

First Peter 3:3 warns us that "in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires" (cf. Jude 1:18). We know from Scripture that scoffing will only increase as we near the time for Jesus' return (2 Timothy 3:1-5). We already see it happening with the blanket acceptance of evolutionary theory that excludes a Creator, the rapid expansion of false religions that deny the deity of Christ, and the numeric explosion of those who identify themselves as agnostics and atheists.

Scoffers have always been and will always be present in the world. But there is coming a promised day when "at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father" (Philippians 2:10–11). On that day there will no longer be any scoffers. They will at last accept the truth, and their scoffing will be forever silenced.

Recommended Resources: I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist by Norm Geisler and Frank Turek and Logos Bible Software.

Read more: What does the Bible say about scoffers?

Less 10-11-2013 18:18

Well, that is the biggest pile of bull you've put on today, not even worth quoting, I suspect you may just be getting close to losing it, can I watch?

susie123 10-11-2013 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1082883)
So, doesn't that tell you quite a lot about the views concerning religion on here?

When I joind Accyweb I had no idea I had landed among such a group of people with my views in the main. That's why I feel comfotable here. Is it a clique as has been suggested with Less as cliquer in chief? Whatever, sometimes it's good to have one's feathers ruffled once in a while. Bet he won't be here on Monday!;):rolleyes:

Less 10-11-2013 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1082906)
Is it a clique as has been suggested with Less as cliquer in chief?

Awww, you say the nicest things, I only wish it were true.
:D

K99WARD 10-11-2013 18:32

Foreword:
As one who came to Christ after years of skepticism, I have a particular affection for Christian apologetics. It is one of my passions. There is an abundance of evidence for the reliability of Scripture, for the authority of the Bible as the inspired Word of God, and that the Bible accurately portrays the historical events it covers, including the earthly life of Jesus Christ. Indeed, powerful and convincing proof exists that Christianity is the one true religion, that the triune God who reveals himself in its pages is the one and only God of the universe, and that Christ died for our sins so that we may live.
Proof, of course, is no substitute for faith, which is essential to our salvation and for our communion with God. Nor is the study of apologetics disrespectful to our faith. Rather, it augments it, informs it, bolsters it, and reinvigorates it. Were it otherwise, the Bible would not say, “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have” (1 Pet. 3:15).

"I Don’t Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist"
Norman L. Geisler, Frank Turek

maxthecollie 10-11-2013 18:35

Go and bother your own god

K99WARD 10-11-2013 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1082902)
I just wish he would quit saying "hi" to folks who think he's a misguided jesus freak. Maybe there's more than one of us on here who has spiritual dimension to his/her life ... I know I have; its called rum. Although I can recommend southern egg nog: egg nog, bourbon, and brandy:theband: Of course, one can spice it up with a little rum (or a lot of rum).

By the way, I am tending towards admitting there is intelligent design in the Universe, most of it imposed by the human mind. But I don't see much evidence of intelligent design in this nutbar's posts. And please don't say "Hi Eric." I don't know you; and if I did, I know that I wouldn't like you one damn bit. Have a nice day, eh. Tabernac'.

Hi Eric,
Nice to see you.

Have a nice day:o

K99WARD 10-11-2013 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1082912)
go and bother your own god

woof, woof

DaveinGermany 10-11-2013 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by K99WARD (Post 1082903)
Question: "What does the Bible say about scoffers?"

I don't know, that they're all fat B'stards? :idunno:

The Bible warns us not to entertain the company of those who actively ridicule our faith,

So if you're not supposed to mix with us Philistines & heathens, why are you still here preaching?

Less 10-11-2013 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by K99WARD (Post 1082913)
Hi Eric,
Nice to see you.

Have a nice day:o

Now that wasn't very Christian was it?

I hope you feel really proud of yourself, having given in to temptation so easily, you will find the bouncer at the pearly gates won't have you on his list.
Brace yourself for the red hot poker of eternal shame.

Restless 10-11-2013 19:07

Starting to think you are right Less. BURN all the newbs

K99WARD 10-11-2013 19:11

"Engaging the Closed Minded" by Dan Story

In the late 1970s, while living in San Diego, my wife and I became good friends with neighbors across the street. We had a lot in common: we were about the same age, our kids got along well, and we enjoyed playing games and going backpacking together.
The wife, I’ll call her “Cindy,” was a third-generation Christian Scientist. Her husband, “Jeff,” I can best describe as an I-couldn’t-care-less-about-religion secular humanist. At the time, I was pretty much an “Easter Sunday Christian” (that’s normally when I attended church), and, as far as I knew, Christian Science was just another Christian denomination that liked science!
Eventually, both our families moved out of town. We moved to a rural community twenty-five miles away, and Jeff and Cindy moved to central California. A few years later, however, they returned to the San Diego area.
During the interim between our friends’ move to central California and their return to San Diego, I became a Christian and returned to college, eventually earning a Master of Arts degree in Christian apologetics. So by the time Jeff and Cindy returned to Southern California, I knew that Christian Science was a cult—and I was eager for a confrontation.
The opportunity came one evening when we invited them over for supper. After eating we went outside to sit on our deck. I immediately unsheathed my apologetic sword and plunged into battle. The result was disastrous.
It wasn’t that I failed to give a good account of myself. With little effort, I cut to shreds Cindy’s erroneous beliefs. I deftly pared her objections to Christianity while skillfully slicing away her defenses of Christian Science. She had no answers to my challenges, no rebuttal to my facts. I did my job, all right. In my mind’s eye, she had to admit that, at best, she was simply deceived by an inane cult, and, at worst, she was a naive buffoon.
She did neither. And we never heard from Cindy and Jeff again.

Story, D. (1999). Engaging the closed minded: presenting your faith to the confirmed unbeliever (pp. 7–8). Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel Publications.

maxthecollie 10-11-2013 19:12

Do you know god is a backward DOG

Less 10-11-2013 19:25

Christian Science

Quote:

Originally Posted by K99WARD (Post 1082928)
"Engaging the Closed Minded" by Dan Story

No wonder that Christian site closed, why on Earth do you copy and paste all this carp?
Room on the servers costs money, please think before you post or this site will have no room for the real virtual world as well as yours.

K99WARD 10-11-2013 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1082920)
Now that wasn't very Christian was it?

I hope you feel really proud of yourself, having given in to temptation so easily, you will find the bouncer at the pearly gates won't have you on his list.
Brace yourself for the red hot poker of eternal shame.

Hi Less,
"Being a Christian" is about following Christ. It has nothing to do with being good as I have explained in an earlier post. I really ought to say, "wake up at the back there," but I won't. I my opinion, anybody who is offended by a greeting should move south of the Watford Gap where they all detest greetings. Up North where we all eat tripe, cow heels and pigs trotters to say nothing of Bury black puddings and wear flat caps, ought at least be civil to each other and field rational arguments (no 'e').

So there ........

Gremlin 10-11-2013 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by K99WARD (Post 1082941)
Hi Less,
Up North where we all eat tripe, cow heels and pigs trotters to say nothing of Bury black puddings and wear flat caps, ought at least be civil to each other and field rational arguments (no 'e').

So there ........

Don't include me in your statement, we don't all eat pigs trotters, tripe, cow heels or black puddings, I for one certainly don't.

Boeing Guy 10-11-2013 19:58

Me too and Mrs BG is a veggie

K99WARD 10-11-2013 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1082918)
So if you're not supposed to mix with us Philistines & heathens, why are you still here preaching?

Hi Dave in squareheadland. This is not a criticism. They really do have square heads. We once had an exchange German student at school but I wouldn't speak to her. After starting two world wars (I'm sure she wasn't responsible) but today is Remembrance Sunday when we remember our dead (all the ones they killed or maimed). I spent my childhood hiding in a celar while the sirens wailed and the German bombers roared overhead. We were not the targets except for a few strays. It was the innocent children of Manchester who were the ones to cop it.

St Paul told us that we couldn't escape the world because we live it. We are COMMANDED to tell the gospel. Nothing further is required of us. We do not save anybody like the mass majority like to scoff. Ours is the job of a messenger and the news we deliver is known as the Good News. It is good news to the saved but to the unregenerate majority it is bad news because it speaks of their unforgiven sins and tells of a future judgment. It need not be a condemnation but it is because they will not repent.

Jesus said, "I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish."

DaveinGermany 10-11-2013 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1082946)
pigs trotters, tripe, cow heels or black puddings

Speaking of which, wasn't there something about Christians not consuming "blood of the beasts"?

And also while on the subject, Mick I see you're looking in, is this fella "Kosher"? There seems to be something eerily familiar to this approach. :idunno: