Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-02-2012, 12:16   #1
God Member

Hyndburn Homes - asbestos removal

Hyndburn Homes wan't me to vacate my flat from 8am to 6pm next Monday.

The flats are having a partial re-roof and new soffits and gutters.

They intend to remove a defunct asbestos flue pipe from the loft during the work.

They say that it will not be possible to remove it skywards through the partially stripped roof, and it will be necessary to construct a tented exit route for it from the loft access in my kitchen cupboard, through the corner of the lounge, down the hall to the only exit door in the stairwell.

This will leave only my bedroom 'unscathed', and will prevent access to the bathroom.
They want me out while it happens - I don't want to go anywhere.

You may already be aware that I call myself a recluse.
You may not be aware why.
What is Multiple Chemical Sensitivity? (MCS)
Too often, on trips out I have suffered an alarming attack resembling asthma.
This is due to encountering airborn petrochemicals - exhaust fumes, perfumes, air fresheners etc etc. I can control my level of exposure in my own home but anyone elses home is likely to have some hazards. Supermarket air is loaded with detergent scents. Many shops use air fresheners. Taxis use 'swinging trees'. Pavements are blasted with vehicle exhaust fumes. Even passing a person laden with deodorant can set me off.

I am a recluse because my healthy survival depends on it, and I have grown to like living this way. It is certainly peaceful.

They want me out for the day. To me, that is like asking me to run a marathon - mission impossible.

I have told them that I will 'camp out' in my bedroom with my antique chamber pot and brewing up facilities and see no reason why they should object to that.

I pointed out to the builders liason officer that a few years ago the lower part of that flue pipe (in a tall kitchen cupboard) was sawn through at ceiling level and handballed out without any stringent precautions.

I do appreciate that asbestos is a dangerous substance. I know a fair bit about it because, for 8 years I managed the maintenence of a government building, and had to go through this 'rigmarole' to have an incinerator flue pipe removed from a ladies toilet.

When it comes to 'exposure risk' I have decided that staying put is less hazardous than moving out.

I know that the pipe is undamaged. The two firms that were sent to take samples from it did not report it 'smashed with a hammer', as todays visitor tried to tell me. I did discuss asbestos safety with those two 'sampling' contractors.

When undamaged the risk is negligible.
Asbestos
"If the asbestos is in good condition can it be left where it is? It may be safer to treat the asbestos rather than remove it. The structure may be made safe by painting it either with an oil based paint or a dilute solution of UPV glue"
"Don't carry asbestos through your home if you can avoid it."

Before he left I discussed building regulations with the liason officer.
It transpires that the unplastered internal walls of this flat are likely to be asbestos board, and not plain plasterboard. So whenever I have drilled to insert a plasterboard plug I have been exposed to risk.

It would be expecting too much for them to rehouse me at their expense in a little bungalow.
With my health problem, and at my age, that would be traumatic.
So I will tolerate, nay, even enjoy most of the time, living in a jerry built council cave, as long as I am undisturbed.

Rant over.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-02-2012, 12:26   #2

Re: Hyndburn Homes - asbestos removal

Good luck, Margaret.

I have a garage which has a leaking corrugated asbestos roof. Because of the health and safety regulations etc. regarding asbestos, my builder is fitting plastic sheets on top of it so that we don't have the problem of removing it. As long as it stops it raining in, I don't mind.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 12:33   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Well, you aren't having any luck, for once I feel quite sorry for you.

If it's of any use you could de-camp yourself to my front room for the duration, guaranteed no abnormal chemicals there, after all you've posted on many occasions that I live like a pig, now's your chance to find out if your statement is true!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 12:39   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Well, you aren't having any luck, for once I feel quite sorry for you.

If it's of any use you could de-camp yourself to my front room for the duration, guaranteed no abnormal chemicals there, after all you've posted on many occasions that I live like a pig, now's your chance to find out if your statement is true!

I am 'touched' by your generous offer but must decline, because household dust gives me rhinitis - thanks anyway

Old 14-02-2012, 13:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I am 'touched' by your generous offer but must decline, because household dust gives me rhinitis - thanks anyway
I'll have you know Madam,there are no dust particles in my sty, erm I mean home, they all stick to the liquified floor!
Old 14-02-2012, 16:12   #6

Mmm. It's St Valentine's Day. Is this the start of a fine romance?
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 16:14   #7
God Member

It is the sign of a truce, not a romance.

Old 14-02-2012, 16:53   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I'll have you know Madam,there are no dust particles in my sty, erm I mean home, they all stick to the liquified floor!
Old 14-02-2012, 16:53   #9
God Member

I have just paid a small fee to consult an online property lawyer.
Since my tenancy agreement does not specify that I move out whilst they do the work, I don't have to. (I haven't refused them access to do it)

They would need a court order to make me comply.

Last edited by MargaretR; 14-02-2012 at 16:55.
Old 14-02-2012, 17:50   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Hyndburn Homes wasn't me to vacate my flat from 8am to 6pm next Monday.

The flats are having a partial re-roof and new soffits and gutters.

They intend to remove a defunct asbestos flue pipe from the loft during the work.

They say that it will not be possible to remove it skywards through the partially stripped roof, and it will be necessary to construct a tented exit route for it from the loft access in my kitchen cupboard, through the corner of the lounge, down the hall to the only exit door in the stairwell.

This will leave only my bedroom 'unscathed', and will prevent access to the bathroom.
They want me out while it happens - I don't want to go anywhere.

You may already be aware that I call myself a recluse.
You may not be aware why.
What is Multiple Chemical Sensitivity? (MCS)
Too often, on trips out I have suffered an alarming attack resembling asthma.
This is due to encountering airborne petrochemicals - exhaust fumes, perfumes, air fresheners etc etc. I can control my level of exposure in my own home but anyone else's home is likely to have some hazards. Supermarket air is loaded with detergent scents. Many shops use air fresheners. Taxis use 'swinging trees'. Pavements are blasted with vehicle exhaust fumes. Even passing a person laden with deodorant can set me off.

I am a recluse because my healthy survival depends on it, and I have grown to like living this way. It is certainly peaceful.

They want me out for the day. To me, that is like asking me to run a marathon - mission impossible.

I have told them that I will 'camp out' in my bedroom with my antique chamber pot and brewing up facilities and see no reason why they should object to that.

I pointed out to the builders liaison officer that a few years ago the lower part of that flue pipe (in a tall kitchen cupboard) was sawn through at ceiling level and hand balled out without any stringent precautions.

I do appreciate that asbestos is a dangerous substance. I know a fair bit about it because, for 8 years I managed the maintenance of a government building, and had to go through this 'rigmarole' to have an incinerator flue pipe removed from a ladies toilet.

When it comes to 'exposure risk' I have decided that staying put is less hazardous than moving out.

I know that the pipe is undamaged. The two firms that were sent to take samples from it did not report it 'smashed with a hammer', as today's visitor tried to tell me. I did discuss asbestos safety with those two 'sampling' contractors.

When undamaged the risk is negligible.
Asbestos
"If the asbestos is in good condition can it be left where it is? It may be safer to treat the asbestos rather than remove it. The structure may be made safe by painting it either with an oil based paint or a dilute solution of UPVC glue"
"Don't carry asbestos through your home if you can avoid it."

Before he left I discussed building regulations with the liaison officer.
It transpires that the unplastered internal walls of this flat are likely to be asbestos board, and not plain plasterboard. So whenever I have drilled to insert a plasterboard plug I have been exposed to risk.

It would be expecting too much for them to rehouse me at their expense in a little bungalow.
With my health problem, and at my age, that would be traumatic.
So I will tolerate, nay, even enjoy most of the time, living in a jerry built council cave, as long as I am undisturbed.

Rant over.
I genuinely feel sorry for you with this, suffering attacks similar to asthma attacks isn't a nice thing to look forward too, something I can attest too, and with all sincerity if you need somewhere to park yourself next Monday while they do this work your welcome at my place
Old 14-02-2012, 17:54   #11

Quote:
It is the sign of a truce, not a romance.
Such a thing needs compliance from both parties, I may feel sorry for you, however, I won't stop criticising your weird, (though wonderful), theories.

Look forward to your next missive.
Old 14-02-2012, 18:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I genuinely feel sorry for you with this,
Did you really have to quote the whole of that post?

We knew what and to whom you were talking, (force of habit?).

It doubles up the server use and eventualy costs a small fortune when Roy has to increase the capacity!
Old 14-02-2012, 18:06   #13
God Member

How lovely to recieve offers from the two people I least expected them from.

I will be safely ensconced in my bedroom with my potty, kettle, radio and a good book. It is only for 10 hours after all, and I will probably need to sleep for 3 of them. To ask to use the bed of either of you two gentlemen could easily be misconstrued

Old 14-02-2012, 18:16   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
To ask to use the bed of either of you two gentlemen could easily be misconstrued
By either of these two gentlemen? Never!
Good luck with it, don't forget to warm the potty first. And don't forget to take the geraniums out before you use it!

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 14-02-2012 at 18:19.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 18:18   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
How lovely to recieve offers from the two people I least expected them from.

I will be safely ensconced in my bedroom with my potty, kettle, radio and a good book. It is only for 10 hours after all, and I will probably need to sleep for 3 of them. To ask to use the bed of either of you two gentlemen could easily be misconstrued
Na it wouldn't Margaret Joan's always here Mondays

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..