Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 14:18   #91
God Member

Re: Hyndburn Homes - asbestos removal

The cleaning firm of my choosing were given the 'go ahead' despite not being VAT registered. They made a good start today and I am pleased with the results. They will complete the spring clean tomorrow. (I asked that it be done a few hours at a time)

The boss of the asbestos removal firm called again to look at the botched ceiling repair.
I have suggested that they try to cut out and peel off the 'long lump' and paint the narrow strip of plasterboard where it was removed. It will leave a narrow strip with no pattern but should be less obtrusive than 'the lump'.

If that gets botched it will mean a complete ceiling repaper job - more disruption - more mess - had enough

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-03-2012, 18:30   #92
Resting in Peace

Just thought I'd tell you this, I was talking to one of my neighbors and he was telling me about a friend of his who actually owns her own flat on our estate. with being a owner she received a bill from HH for the removal of the asbestos and remedial work on the roof, she lives in a 6 block and she received a bill for £2700 as part payment towards the work
Old 28-03-2012, 18:51   #93
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Just thought I'd tell you this, I was talking to one of my neighbors and he was telling me about a friend of his who actually owns her own flat on our estate. with being a owner she received a bill from HH for the removal of the asbestos and remedial work on the roof, she lives in a 6 block and she received a bill for £2700 as part payment towards the work
The young man in the next block to mine is in the same position.
He was told that the work wasn't 'optional' - he owns the flat but they own the lease.

I have persuaded Bramall to accept that their 'kitchen refurbishment' isn't going to happen in my flat.

I just need peace and quiet for a while to recover, but heavy machinery has moved back onto the playing field again for the summer.

I have decided to tolerate the long lump on the ceiling. If it gets messed with, it could result in new sections of plasterboard being needed - there is an area of 'sagging' board next to the lump.

Old 29-03-2012, 07:08   #94
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
The young man in the next block to mine is in the same position.
He was told that the work wasn't 'optional' - he owns the flat but they own the lease.

I have persuaded Bramall to accept that their 'kitchen refurbishment' isn't going to happen in my flat.

I just need peace and quiet for a while to recover, but heavy machinery has moved back onto the playing field again for the summer.

I have decided to tolerate the long lump on the ceiling. If it gets messed with, it could result in new sections of plasterboard being needed - there is an area of 'sagging' board next to the lump.
No they had no choice in the matter, but I'm going to take the same stance as you on the kitchen, mind you I did have new kitchen units about 10 years ago, so mine isn't too bad anyway.
Old 29-03-2012, 10:37   #95
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Just a thought, surely at the time these flats were sold, the mis-use of asbestos was already known?
The Council would have known about it being in the construction of these premises.

Did they warn the buyers that there would have to be a major refurb' to remove the danger? Or did they just sell the properties which obviously weren't fit for purpose?

Perhaps a consultation with an expert Solicitor in this field would save these unfortunate people thousands?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 17:44   #96
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Just a thought, surely at the time these flats were sold, the misuse of asbestos was already known?
The Council would have known about it being in the construction of these premises.

Did they warn the buyers that there would have to be a major refurb' to remove the danger? Or did they just sell the properties which obviously weren't fit for purpose?

Perhaps a consultation with an expert Solicitor in this field would save these unfortunate people thousands?
When they purchase these properties Less they only purchase the flat not the building, that's why I would never buy a flat, firstly because you never own the whole property and secondly I might get you as a neighbour
Old 29-03-2012, 18:29   #97

Quote:
When they purchase these properties Less they only purchase the flat not the building, that's why I would never buy a flat, firstly because you never own the whole property and secondly I might get you as a neighbour
Firstly, I do understand they purchase the flat not the building, good grief my names not Jaysay he may need it explaining a few times to get through. However certain repairs to the whole building do have to be shared, I don't think though that it is fair that they should have to foot the bill for unsafe materials originally fitted, that is why I suggested getting in touch with an expert and not you.
Secondly, if I had the misfortune of having you as a neighbour then I would buy the largest hi-fi system and turn the speakers to the wall with the volume on full to cover the sound of you cursing and swearing at yet another faulty keyboard.

Old 29-03-2012, 18:32   #98
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Firstly, I do understand they purchase the flat not the building, good grief my names not Jaysay he may need it explaining a few times to get through. However certain repairs to the whole building do have to be shared, I don't think though that it is fair that they should have to foot the bill for unsafe materials originally fitted, that is why I suggested getting in touch with an expert and not you.
Secondly, if I had the misfortune of having you as a neighbour then I buy the largest hi-fi system and turn the speakers to the wall with the volume on full to cover the sound of you cursing and swearing at yet another faulty keyboard.

Less I keep telling you there's nout wrong with my keyboard, its the guy using it thats the problem
Old 29-03-2012, 18:43   #99

Quote:
Less I keep telling you there's nout wrong with my keyboard, its the guy using it thats the problem
Thats not what you said in the 'is this happening to you thread', the other day when I told you it is you making the mistakes not your various computers.
Old 29-03-2012, 18:46   #100
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Thats not what you said in the 'is this happening to you thread', the other day when I told you it is you making the mistakes not your various computers.
Its neither me or my computor, can't understand it and can't think its just hapening to me.
Old 18-04-2012, 23:45   #101
God Member

After all the hassle of roof repairs recently -
...I have rain coming in AGAIN in a different place from the last one - kitchen storeroom ceiling, next to loft hatch.

The scaffolding surrounded the flats for 6 weeks and my window cleaner couldn't get near - looks like he has abandoned us because he hasn't been since the scaffolding came down a few weeks ago. So all the mud splatters on the glass look like they will be a permenant feature.

The joys of 'council cave' dwelling are manifold

Does anyone have a caravan to let? - preferably on the moors.

Old 19-04-2012, 01:47   #102
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Your not in a council cave, the dwellers agreed for the caves to become housing association caves
Old 19-04-2012, 02:24   #103
God Member

Quote:
...I have rain coming in AGAIN in a different place from the last one - kitchen storeroom ceiling, next to loft hatch.

The scaffolding surrounded the flats for 6 weeks and my window cleaner couldn't get near - looks like he has abandoned us because he hasn't been since the scaffolding came down a few weeks ago. So all the mud splatters on the glass look like they will be a permenant feature.

It shouldn't matter ... doesn't rain much in your neck of the woods, does it?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 08:57   #104
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Well we've had the scaffolding around our block for six weeks now they removed the asbestos weeks ago and I think they have just replaced the gutters yesterday, they must have a good price for the job, because the scaffolding is hired and it ain't cheap
Old 19-04-2012, 12:45   #105
God Member

I think you shoudl have a chat with this guy

BBC News - The American who quit money to live in a cave

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..