Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 08:35   #76
God Member

Re: Hyndburn Homes - asbestos removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well you've sure had more that your fair share of the mucky stuff Margaret, lets just hope it is all down hill now, nothing else can go wrong surely, Can It
Well you did ask - yes.

The roofing firm have been installing new soffits since wednesday.
They do a lot of banging but take very long tea breaks, so I even managed two daytime naps yesterday.

After they clocked off yesterday our communal tv signal was found defunct.
Men have tested it his morning and the ariel maintenance firm are being called out. This does not bother me since I don't watch TV much, but if it happens to you Jaysay, I imagine you would be rather annoyed.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-03-2012, 09:06   #77
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Well you did ask - yes.

The roofing firm have been installing new soffits since wednesday.
They do a lot of banging but take very long tea breaks, so I even managed two daytime naps yesterday.

After they clocked off yesterday our communal tv signal was found defunct.
Men have tested it his morning and the ariel maintenance firm are being called out. This does not bother me since I don't watch TV much, but if it happens to you Jaysay, I imagine you would be rather annoyed.
I don't use it Margaret, I had permission from HH to retain my sat dish because the new system couldn't support multi room. I actually ran it passed Mike when he visited on Monday and he assured me and made notes on my sheet about my satellite service, so hopefully I won't have any problems
Old 02-03-2012, 10:45   #78
God Member

TV signal now restored

I had a sky dish put up 9 years ago but stopped using it 7 years ago.
When the new communal ariel was put up (2 years ago I think) all old ariels were supposed to be taken down, but it didn't happen.

After the scaffolding went up a few weeks back, an ariel firm moved sky dishes from walls and fixed them to the scaffolding.

I told that man that I didn't use mine and he could take it away and scrap it - he didn't - he actually spent 30 minutes fixing it to the scaffolding and using his signal gadget to ensure it pointed the right way, even though it no longer had any wire running from it..

Old 02-03-2012, 19:50   #79
God Member

Two weeks of noise and disruption have taken their toll - I am mentally exhausted.

My body jerks at every loud noise, and there are plenty of those going on while the roof refurb happens.

I have been 'breathless on exertion' for a while - now I am breathless constantly.

I recognise the signs because I have 'been there' before.
I recall a panic attack I had in 2002 - when I ended up in BRI on oxygen for a night.

I won't get that bad again because I have recognised what is happening to me.

I have always had an independant nature and pride myself on my ability to cope.
I reluctantly admit - I am stuggling to cope now.

My neighbour Brian (b rawlinson) has been a great support during this ordeal, even though he is having stress symptoms too. He has called on me almost daily and we discuss when this refurb ordeal is likely to end.

I can't see out of, or open wide, my windows due to the scaffolding and plank walkways. it will be nice to see the trees again.

I have no intention of seeing any doc. I have had mind altering prescriptions in the past and found the side effects worse than the symptoms they purport to cure.

Now having recognised what is happening to me I am better able to live through it.

I have another week of hassle yet to come.
Two visits by cleaning contractors, one visit by workmen restoring the loft insulation, and more banging outside whilst the new guttering will be going on.

I have postponed the repair to my ceiling by saying 'don't rush to do it'.

If I make any irrational statements on here in the next few weeks I would appreciate tolerance.
I am not feeling mentally stable right now.

Old 04-03-2012, 17:23   #80
God Member

Just when I thought I was seeing daylight at the end of the tunnel, a new spanner has been thrown into the works.

If I proceed with using the small cleaning firm I arranged, I will not get my expense refunded.
The asbestos removal firm require their invoice to show VAT and the small two person operation that I chose aren't VAT registered.
So I am not to get the big clean up due to start tomorrow (Mon)

I have visions of him sending a couple of his asbestos workers wearing Marigolds.

PS a weekend of silence and lots of sleep has relieved my 'anxiety' symptoms.

Old 04-03-2012, 17:45   #81
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Just when I thought I was seeing daylight at the end of the tunnel, a new spanner has been thrown into the works.

If I proceed with using the small cleaning firm I arranged, I will not get my expense refunded.
The asbestos removal firm require their invoice to show VAT and the small two person operation that I chose aren't VAT registered.
So I am not to get the big clean up due to start tomorrow (Mon)

I have visions of him sending a couple of his asbestos workers wearing Marigolds.

PS a weekend of silence and lots of sleep has relieved my 'anxiety' symptoms.
Well at least there is one plus, which I would think is actually the most important Margaret and don't forget DLTBGYD
Old 05-03-2012, 11:23   #82
God Member

Washer now connected - at the start of this 3rd week of chaos.
Thursday looks like it will be a fun day
...ceiling repair on same day that loft insulation is installed.

Guttering goes on next week.

Last edited by MargaretR; 05-03-2012 at 11:28.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:07   #83
God Member

The 'repair' of my rainwater damaged ceiling hasn't worked.

They sent a young lad with a caulk gun who converted the long crack into a long lump.

I have watched many DIY programmes in my time and recall that peeling back the damaged wallpaper joint and using wallpaper paste to reaffix it should have happened.

I have found a video showing what should have been done -

I was advised that repapering the whole ceiling would be done if the 'repair' didn't work.

Maybe this decorating subcontractor wants the job and so botched the 'repair'.

I wanted to avoid a whole ceiling repapering, not only to avoid further disruption and mess, but also because when I painted it about 3 years ago I went to the extra expense of adding Thermilate to the paint

Thermilate Technologies - Advanced Insulating Technologies..

So now I have to decide whether to tolerate more mess, or put up with rubbishy decor. Having low ceilings makes such defects very noticeable.

Aside from that - the loft is now reinsulated and the soffits and gutter work is almost complete.

I did have to tolerate the use of an enormous (3 foot long) angle grinder (to cut roof tiles) on the gantry beside my lounge window - that was a paracetemol day that was!

Last edited by MargaretR; 10-03-2012 at 07:15.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:48   #84
Resting in Peace

Seems your having lots of luck with this experience Margaret, shame its all bad
Old 10-03-2012, 14:55   #85
God Member

A view of the 'long lump'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 052.JPG (408.0 KB, 28 views)

Old 10-03-2012, 15:24   #86
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Couldn't see the lump because the imitation brass lamp was in the way...

If you can put up with that, the lump should be a blessing.

Sorry Mag's, I can only feel sorry for a short while, am now impatient to get back to our abnormal relationship.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 18:01   #87
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Looking at the colour of the ceiling rose, cable and lamp holder I would not like to see the inside of your lungs
Old 11-03-2012, 09:39   #88
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Looking at the colour of the ceiling rose, cable and lamp holder I would not like to see the inside of your lungs
Shushhhhhh Neil Margaret will think its a conspiracy by none smokers
Old 11-03-2012, 09:41   #89
God Member

The ceiling rose is white, the cord is yellowed, and has been ever since I moved in 9 years ago.

The condition of my lungs is irrelevant to this thread.

Several air cleaning machines operating in my lounge have prevented the yellowing of my ceiling which I painted 3 or 4 years ago.

Since you show concern for my health, I assure you that I do not inhale deeply and an xray 3 years ago showed only 'slight damage' and all other organs are in good nick.

Thank you for your concern

Old 11-03-2012, 09:57   #90
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The ceiling rose is white, the cord is yellowed, and has been ever since I moved in 9 years ago.

The condition of my lungs is irrelevant to this thread.

Several air cleaning machines operating in my lounge have prevented the yellowing of my ceiling which I painted 3 or 4 years ago.

Since you show concern for my health, I assure you that I do not inhale deeply and an xray 3 years ago showed only 'slight damage' and all other organs are in good nick.

Thank you for your concern
Margaret is trying to kid herself me thinks

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..