Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-02-2012, 14:22   #46

Re: Hyndburn Homes - asbestos removal

You have had a traumatic time of it, so I am very pleased that things are now on the up.

Best wishes
Michael
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-02-2012, 14:37   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
They might think twice in the future Margaret. Glad you are sorted.
I hope they are doing the deep clean for you...or at least paying for it to be done.
Oh yes - didn't miss that
I forgot to claim the £7 I spent on a taxi on Sunday but I'll not get too greedy.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 14:55   #48
Resting In Peace

Well done. I wonder if others had the same experience as you? It will be expensive for Assist if so. Or perhaps the others just put up with it. Hope you get back to normal soon.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 15:11   #49
God Member

My flat was the first on this road. They are working their way downhill.
The air monitor is buzzing in my lounge now.

I had a chat with the young woman who brought it.(independant monitoring company)
She says that the position of decontamination chambers on the exit route to the door has been changed on the flats done after mine. It will no longer be possible to get access to bathroom and bedroom with the sheeted tunnel in place. She personally inspected the exit tunnel before work began on my flat.

Old 22-02-2012, 15:12   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Well done. I wonder if others had the same experience as you? It will be expensive for Assist if so. Or perhaps the others just put up with it. Hope you get back to normal soon.
I am the only one who had rainwater penetration --- so far

Old 22-02-2012, 15:44   #51
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I am the only one who had rainwater penetration --- so far
Truce over,

I hate the image conjured up of the position you were in for that to happen!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 16:42   #52
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Truce over,

I hate the image conjured up of the position you were in for that to happen!
Funny that Less - a similar picture crossed my mind!
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 17:40   #53
Resting in Peace

Glad you have got some sort of satisfaction Margaret, or will have when everything is done and dusted, one thing for sure they're going to be on their toes for the rest of the contract, the boss is calling to see next Monday, think I'll mention your name, that should scare the living daylights out of him
Old 22-02-2012, 18:07   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Glad you have got some sort of satisfaction Margaret, or will have when everything is done and dusted, one thing for sure they're going to be on their toes for the rest of the contract, the boss is calling to see next Monday, think I'll mention your name, that should scare the living daylights out of him
They don't send out the organ grinders until after the job, and not unless you complain.

The chap you will get is the liason officer.

He is the one who lied to me saying the flue pipe was smashed( I knew it wasn't) instead of saying what the real (big) problem was - damaged asbestos firestop sheets. As a ex building trade person you will know how baaaad that is.

If your neighbours are grumbling to you about this work you can now tell them that removal is essential - a defunct flue pipe alone wouldn't have been.

To reduce their dismay, you can add that mine were damaged and emitting fibres - theirs might be undamaged, but they need removal because they will deteriorate over time.

The lady who monitored the air near the water leak carpet damage has returned with the results - 2 fibres detected, but the 'safe' limit is 20.

People who dont get rainwater washing down the fibres into the living space should not expect to have any at all.

Whilst she was here I showed her the large gap around the pipe going up into the loft from my shower installation.

She assured me that my loft has been sealed - where all piping goes into the loft, the space around the pipe has been sealed from above. She has an honest face - I trust her.

When the liason officer calls, explain your past experience with asbestos so that he won't feel the need to lie to you.

I wouldn't have created a fuss like I did if I had known that it was much more than an intact defunct flue pipe.

PS as a downstairs flat all you have to do is stay in with windows shut

Last edited by MargaretR; 22-02-2012 at 18:16.
Old 22-02-2012, 18:22   #55
Resting in Peace

Quote:
They don't send out the organ grinders until after the job, and not unless you complain.

The chap you will get is the liaison officer.

He is the one who lied to me saying the flue pipe was smashed( I knew it wasn't) instead of saying what the real (big) problem was - damaged asbestos firestop sheets. As a ex building trade person you will know how baaaad that is.

If your neighbours are grumbling to you about this work you can now tell them that removal is essential - a defunct flue pipe alone wouldn't have been.

To reduce their dismay, you can add that mine were damaged and emitting fibres - theirs might be undamaged, but they need removal because they will deteriorate over time.

The lady who monitored the air near the water leak carpet damage has returned with the results - 2 fibres detected, but the 'safe' limit is 20.

People who dont get rainwater washing down the fibres into the living space should not expect to have any at all.

Whilst she was here I showed her the large gap around the pipe going up into the loft from my shower installation.

She assured me that my loft has been sealed - where all piping goes into the loft, the space around the pipe has been sealed from above. She has an honest face - I trust her.

When the liason officer calls, explain your past experience with asbestos so that he won't feel the need to lie to you.

I wouldn't have created a fuss like I did if I had known that it was much more than an intact defunct flue pipe.
Thanks for that Margaret, I don't think I'll have the same problem as you living on the ground floor, maybe just the flue pipe, anyway I too know about the dangers of asbestos having worked with it when it was deemed safe, many years ago. In the letter I had pushed through the door it says the call will be between 8am and 3pm, oh no he won't 10am is the earliest they'll get in here and I shall inform them in the morning
Old 22-02-2012, 18:26   #56
God Member

Quote:
In the letter I had pushed through the door it says the call will be between 8am and 3pm, oh no he won't 10am is the earliest they'll get in here and I shall inform them in the morning
I told them the same but found that my anxiety about getting out had me awake before dawn.

PS- the flue pipe from your ceiling to the defunct boiler went out with that boiler - mine did - and no precautions were used then.

Last edited by MargaretR; 22-02-2012 at 18:28.
Old 22-02-2012, 18:40   #57
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I told them the same but found that my anxiety about getting out had me awake before dawn.

PS- the flue pipe from your ceiling to the defunct boiler went out with that boiler - mine did - and no precautions were used then.
Ya that's right, and they didn't use any special precautions then, its surprising what you remember with hindsight
Old 22-02-2012, 18:44   #58
God Member

Quote:
Ya that's right, and they didn't use any special precautions then, its surprising what you remember with hindsight
The flue pipes hadn't been tested so they didn't know, and the firm that did it were thicko scousers.

Undamaged flue pipes are very low risk and are usually just coated with PVC glue as a precaution.

Old 22-02-2012, 18:58   #59
God Member

Quote:
The flue pipes hadn't been tested so they didn't know, and the firm that did it were thicko scousers.
Tsk,tsk! Not like you to fall for such biased regional stereotypes, Margaret!

The scousers I met were all pretty quick on the up-take - quite the opposite to thickos!!!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 19:05   #60
God Member

As a ground floor flat you will be told to stay in with windows shut- no peeking in the stairwell, because the red bags of roof insulation will be stacked there waiting to be carried out.

The 'windows shut' is because the air extraction equipment is vented outside.

The only aggro you are likely to get is the sound of the deisel generator operating that equpment.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..