Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-03-2005, 21:09   #76
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Widening Rhyddings Street

All it would take is to move the park wall back 10 feet . HBC must put a price on the Health and Safety of its residents
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-03-2005, 21:14   #77
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
All it would take is to move the park wall back 10 feet . HBC must put a price on the Health and Safety of its residents
Dream on, you mentioned the figure of £100,000 to rectify rhyddings street, think you're lookin at a lot more for that project
Not only that HBC have "A duty of care" under the H&S guidelines

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

Last edited by Neil; 01-05-2011 at 12:28.
park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 21:16   #78
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
This is awful that people's lives are put at risk.
When meetings were taking place with the council and Rhyddings Street residents the council (PB) stated that the future of the top bit of Rhyddings Street had nothing to do with people on Park Lane, except the top two corner houses because the side of there houses are on Rhyddings Street. When asked if Park Lane residents could attend the final meeting called by the Works Department ( Mr Law ), they said no. Even though the meeting was called on Health and Safety grounds ie. emergency service access.
Old 15-03-2005, 21:33   #79
Senior Member+

Quote:
When meetings were taking place with the council and Rhyddings Street residents the council (PB) stated that the future of the top bit of Rhyddings Street had nothing to do with people on Park Lane, except the top two corner houses because the side of there houses are on Rhyddings Street. When asked if Park Lane residents could attend the final meeting called by the Works Department ( Mr Law ), they said no. Even though the meeting was called on Health and Safety grounds ie. emergency service access.
That sounds about right for PB,I have sent off emails to our leader regarding the subject and the health & safety implications. 2 sets of double yellow lines + the green caps (wardens) would solve the problem of access to park lane but it would not solve parking problems for the residents of the top section of rhyddings street.
May be it will take a major fire on park lane to sort it out. God forbid that.

Albert Einstein.

Old 15-03-2005, 21:44   #80
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

A snippet from the Area Council minutes

Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan.jpg (21.9 KB, 52 views)
Old 16-03-2005, 07:03   #81
Senior Member+

Quote:
A snippet from the Area Council minutes

Has Inspector Platt ever visited, to explain the implications of parking on the verges?
PB was told at the time that he had created a major hazard.

Albert Einstein.

Old 16-03-2005, 10:28   #82
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Unfortunately I am going to have to defend Cllr Britcliffe on this one*.
He did not create any hazard's on Rhyddings Street.
All he did was to stop people distroying the grass verges in a conservation area by irresponsible and illegal parking by residents and people visiting the park.
The hazard you refer to is caused by those same irresponsible residents who insist on parking on both sides of a narrow street.

If vandels were destroying trees in the park would we not expect the council/police to do something about it? Of course we would. So what is the difference in protecting the grass verges.

(* hiding behind the sofa to avoid all the flames and hate mail)
Old 16-03-2005, 14:53   #83
Senior Member+

Quote:
Unfortunately I am going to have to defend Cllr Britcliffe on this one*.
I suppose someone has to defend him.
Quote:
He did not create any hazard's on Rhyddings Street.
Had there not been consultation with the residents of that section of the street, and was the end result, residents could not agree, some wanted the verges, others wanted them paved over to allow for parking. Was there a vote by residents on the matter?
Quote:
All he did was to stop people distroying the grass verges in a conservation area by irresponsible and illegal parking by residents and people visiting the park.
In all the time I have lived in the area residents have parked on the verges, as you say that was a little irresposible of them,but at least it left room for emergency vehicles to access park lane.
Quote:
The hazard you refer to is caused by those same irresponsible residents who insist on parking on both sides of a narrow street.
Could that be some of the residents that wanted the verges paving over, to allow them to park, whilst leaving room for emergency vehicles.
Quote:
If vandels were destroying trees in the park would we not expect the council/police to do something about it? Of course we would. So what is the difference in protecting the grass verges.
Vandals have damaged items in the park, trees as well, but to date nothing has been done.The damage done to the stonework in the rose garden was given headlines in the Observer, as has a lot of other damage, again nothing done. Take the park gates as another example, they are chained in the closed position, why because they are not safe.
Quote:
hiding behind the sofa to avoid all the flames and hate mail
Why would anyone want to do that,the discussion is a fair one and I respect the points put forward, it would be a sad day if anyone had to resort to that.

Albert Einstein.

Last edited by Neil; 01-05-2011 at 12:29.
Old 16-03-2005, 14:58   #84
Resident Waffler

Can I just ask where else these "irresponsible" car owners who live at the top of Rhyddings Street are supposed to park?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2005, 15:15   #85
Senior Member+

Quote:
Can I just ask where else these "irresponsible" car owners who live at the top of Rhyddings Street are supposed to park?
That is a good question WtW, the answer is "I don't know" I think where ever you go these days the streets are full of parked cars. A lot of the residents own 2 cars, that may be a big part of the problem.

Albert Einstein.

Old 16-03-2005, 15:29   #86
Resident Waffler

I've just been to visit someone this afternoon who lives somewhere with parking restrictions. We had to park several hundred yards further along the road and walk back to the house. Sort of defeats the object of having a car for the residents doesn't it?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2005, 16:10   #87
Senior Member+

Quote:
I've just been to visit someone this afternoon who lives somewhere with parking restrictions. We had to park several hundred yards further along the road and walk back to the house. Sort of defeats the object of having a car for the residents doesn't it?
Yes it's possible that "permit parking" will have to be the answer, with residents purchasing permits from the local council. Have seen that in other areas.

Albert Einstein.

Old 16-03-2005, 17:10   #88
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
Yes it's possible that "permit parking" will have to be the answer, with residents purchasing permits from the local council. Have seen that in other areas.
PB assured us that there are no resident only parking schemes in Hyndburn and that was not an option for Rhyddings Street.

The so called "parking scheme" would create 10 parking spaces. That is 1 car between each tree, 6 trees on each side. Parking on 1 side of the road you can fit 8 cars if people park carefully. That is only 2 car parking spaces less. All this fuss for 2 parking spaces.

I wonder how much in expenses have been claimed by cllr's for all the meetings that have taken place .

There would be plenty of parking space on Hornby Street if it was not for all the transit vans, flat back trucks etc. Maybe these vehicles should not be allowed to park in a busy residential area.

Old 16-03-2005, 17:29   #89
Senior Member+

Quote:
PB assured us that there are no resident only parking schemes in Hyndburn and that was not an option for Rhyddings Street.

The so called "parking scheme" would create 10 parking spaces. That is 1 car between each tree, 6 trees on each side. Parking on 1 side of the road you can fit 8 cars if people park carefully. That is only 2 car parking spaces less. All this fuss for 2 parking spaces.

I wonder how much in expenses have been claimed by cllr's for all the meetings that have taken place .

There would be plenty of parking space on Hornby Street if it was not for all the transit vans, flat back trucks etc. Maybe these vehicles should not be allowed to park in a busy residential area.
Sorry, firstly I should have clarified that one, I should have added to other areas,"other areas of the country".
I knew there were none in hyndburn cause have asked the same question of PB, the answer was, it would cost to much to administer?
Would go along with your suggestion, would seem to be the logical answer, this would leave access for the emergency services, and only 2 cars to sort out.
Mind HBC don't think about logical solutions
As for the Cllr's x's am sure you are correct.

Albert Einstein.

Old 16-03-2005, 18:05   #90
Give, give, give member

When the said houses were built, cars weren't part of the equation. With the width of these houses not much wider than the average car, there is no chance for those households that have two or more cars in some cases to park anywhere near their homes.
They could always park them on the temporary carpark on the site of the old Co-op and walk, until they build the Church there that is

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..