Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-12-2004, 20:46   #1
Senior Member+

Exclamation Widening Rhyddings Street

Article in this week-ends Observer Friday 32st Dec 04 page 12
"£8,000 scheme to widen street will benefit residents"
Hyndburn Council are set to spend £8,000 widening Rhyddings Street in Oswaldtwistle.
St Andrews ward Councillor Brian Walmsley welcomed the scheme.
He said "This is great news for residents in this area who have been struggling with parking issues for some time now."
"The enhancements will make the area much safer and will enable emergency vehicles to access the street if needed" end of article.

Anyone have any info on this, living on Park Lane, emergency vehicle access to us has been a problem for years, even more so, now that the Council has stopped Rhyddings street(top end adjacent to park gates) residents from parking on the grass verges.

Whilst I am not knocking any street improvements, I would be interested to know what the "enhancements" are.
park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-01-2005, 11:44   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Widening Rhyddings Street

HBC must be getting short of streets to put sleeping policemen on, so no doubt by spending £8,000 (don't panic this is only the estimate I'm sure the true figure will be two or three times this!) to widen the street. So, by widenening the street traffic will flow more efficiently & they will be able to apply to the E.U. for a grant for traffic calming.

How does widening a street make it better for parking any-way? I would have thought that to fit more parked cars on a street it would have to be lengthened? Or am I just being stupid?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:01   #3
Senior Member+

Hi

Nice one but not really the answer I was looking for. As indicated in previous post, HBC have effectivly made the top part of Rhyddings st. narrower, by stopping residents from parking on the grass verge, so with cars parked on each side of street.......wow don't try to get up there with anything bigger than a mini, you will take the sides off the parked cars.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:31   #4
God Member

Errrrmmm, let me see if I have got this right. HBC narrow the street to stop people parking and then decide that Emergency vehicles cannot get access, so in a burst of public spirited zeal they decide to widen the street to overcome the access problems that they created in the first place. What was it that "Barking" Britcliffe was saying just before Christmas... something about being careful with money....?
Old 02-01-2005, 13:03   #5
Senior Member+

Thats about right!

Rhyddings street is blocked off from Catlow Hall street upwards towards the Park, from Hornby street(which is the next one up) Rhyddings street has grass verges at each side. The residents of this section used to park part on the road part on the grass verge, so access to Park Lane was not to bad, but HBC in their wisdom re-turfed the verges and placed signs " NO PARKING ON THE GRASS" only 6 months ago, so now the residents park totally on the street thus making the road narrower, and access to Park Lane very difficult.
Now HBC are planning to widen Rhydding street does that make sence.
Hope I have explained this OK
Old 02-01-2005, 13:41   #6
Resident Waffler

The explanation makes sense - It's HBC that doesn't.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 16:06   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
The explanation makes sense - It's HBC that doesn't.
True, neither can I
Old 02-01-2005, 23:53   #8
Senior Member+

And there proposal in widening the street is not being supported by there offical road planner......... He said that it is not a good solution and illegal(?)

But britcliffe likes the idea so it is being pushed through... Just to see britcliffe in action is an amazing sight.......Idiot is being VERY polite..
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:36   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
And there proposal in widening the street is not being supported by there offical road planner......... He said that it is not a good solution and illegal(?)
Is that an assumption on your part or quoted from information given.

From information given to me last night "They are proposing to alter the section that they altered 6 months ago "
Old 03-01-2005, 08:42   #10
Resident Waffler

How can it be illegal for the council to widen a street? The car owners need somewhere to park and I have every sympathy for them.

Where I live we have a problem as it is near a junction with double yellow lines. The people whose houses are by the double yellow lines can't park outside of their own houses and so they park outside of someone else's - the result being that we all tend to play musical vehicles with nobody actually getting to park outside of their own house, or only if they are very lucky, very quick, or get home when everyone else is still out.

Old 03-01-2005, 08:57   #11
Senior Member+

Hey tell me about it, I think it is a problem every where. People park adjacent to road junctions, on single yellow lines.

I can remember years back I got fined for parking to near a road junction, but the police don't seem to bother these days.
Most of the side streets are gridlocked with parked cars and it is a major problem. Some look like the have just been abandoned
Old 03-01-2005, 13:14   #12
Resident Waffler

I've seen them parked on zigzags outside of school, police cars drive past and not a thing done about it.

Old 03-01-2005, 13:38   #13
Senior Member+

Sure I saw an article in a recent Observer where the local bobby, and a headteacher were concerned about parents parking adjacent to a school,"it was causing a hazard", think it was Great Harwood. The boby went on record, indicating that if the practice did'nt stop the offending cars/drivers would be booked.
Old 03-01-2005, 14:29   #14
God Member

they will probably just tarmac the grassed areas so you can park there! £8000?

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 14:42   #15
Senior Member+

May be the "Boys from the Black Stuff" could do it cheaper

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..