Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-03-2005, 07:21   #121
Resident Waffler

Re: Widening Rhyddings Street

Getting back to the plot. I'd have thought that the safety of the residents of all the streets in the area should be of more importance than anything else.

I was thinking the same thing this weekend in Blackburn when we passed an estate where access seemd to be by footpath only. There must be roads into it somewhere but surely it makes access more difficult for emergency vehicles. It's all very well having an "I'm alright Jack" attitude if your road is OK but that's a bit selfish - I could be like that because I'm on a bus route so emergency vehicles have no access problems here but ambulances have a problem in Ormerod Street with all the road humps.

Couldn't there be some sort of compromise? Would it be possible to have bits of verge and bits of paving and keep the trees as is?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-03-2005, 07:38   #122
Senior Member+

That's very sound thinking WtW, I am sure that there must be a compromise,a solution to the problem, just needs someone to think straight

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2005, 08:48   #123
Senior Member+

What solution and straight thinking can be easily thought through to widening Park lane?????

I would love it to be so easy, and convienient for us all.. but on this one, the truth of the matter is that, as these and lots of other property's in this area where here long before the cars. So making allowances for all our cars outside OUR front doors, is not gonna happen.
WE have to accept the car and our thinking toward our RIGHTS(to park where I want) is the problem. As has been stated park away and walk home. If safety was such a large worry do your own bit and dont block park lane or rhyddings st..

As stated by our local councillors " If we are pushed too hard on this, yellow lines will be the only option"...Anyone got a 3inch brush
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2005, 08:56   #124
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Couldn't there be some sort of compromise? Would it be possible to have bits of verge and bits of paving and keep the trees as is?
It would give only 10 spaces. Last night at 2am there were only 9 cars parked. Parking on one side only gives 8 spaces. You can't keep the trees and put in parking bays. The trees would have to be removed to create the bays because the roots would be destroyed. The cost for creating the bays would be high ( much higher than the £8000 mentioned in the Observer). The council suggested it, but had no costing or even plan of the scheme to show us residents. At the end of the financial year the allocated money will be clawed back by the council anyway. There was never any chance of parking bays anyway. The council just played lip service to residents to try and keep voters sweet. PB stated that the problem has been ongoing since before he was a cllr - to some of you that must appear to be for ever.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2005, 09:00   #125
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
Anyone got a 3inch brush
I have 2 3" brushes. Now all we need is a 4" block of wood as a spacer, a brush handle to save us bending down and some tape to fasten it all together. I am a bit short of yellow paint, will green do ( the same colour as the stripes on the parkwise wardens hats )
Old 17-03-2005, 09:11   #126
Senior Member+

Quote:
As stated by our local councillors " If we are pushed too hard on this, yellow lines will be the only option"...Anyone got a 3inch brush
Not bad thinking that simon.
But the Observer article that was the reason for this thread in the first place included a quote from Cllr W that "the widening of rhyddings street would allow residents to park in front of their own front doors and allow access for emergency vehicles" You and I know that's not likely to happen, so...........yep just found a 3" brush

Albert Einstein.

Old 17-03-2005, 09:15   #127
Senior Member+

Well thats 3 of us just need a dry day... and

We would be shot by our own neighbours...Anyone got 3 bullet proof vests
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2005, 09:18   #128
Senior Member+

The widening of Rhyddings St,how about the up keep.Like alot of roads in Hyndburn it is rapidly deteriorating,no excuses for the councillors their neither,as worst bits right outside Ossy Con.Which I know some do frequent.........
Old 17-03-2005, 09:25   #129
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Well thats 3 of us just need a dry day... and

We would be shot by our own neighbours...Anyone got 3 bullet proof vests
I would be very surprised if anyone said anything at all. Not to our faces anyway.
Old 17-03-2005, 09:35   #130
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Here are some pictures of the state the verges were in due to parking and council neglect before the referbishment work was carried out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (30.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (39.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (30.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 4.JPG (31.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 5.JPG (29.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 6.JPG (26.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 7.JPG (20.1 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Neil; 01-05-2011 at 12:31.
Old 17-03-2005, 10:10   #131
Give, give, give member

After a bad night l managed an hours sleep. Did l dream of deserted beaches, hanky panky? No, l dreamt of this bleedin' thread! Do l need a life?

Parking in this area along with lots of other streets that were layed down before the rise of car ownership. l know people in this area that have been in the area for over 40 years, when there were fewer cars. But l can't help comparing it to people that live in City centres and hate the noise, or those that live in the country and hate animal sounds/ smells.
Lots [not all] have made a choice about were they live, and the choice is theirs, parking is going to become more difficult in time. People could move to houses [newer] with allocated parking, but it wouldn't be half as beautiful,

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2005, 10:15   #132
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Do l need a life?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
but it wouldn't be half as beautiful,
Thats the exact reason why it should be mantained in its present state and not turned into some block paved town center trying to look authentic. The trees and verges have been here longer than any of the residents ( as far as I am aware ).
Old 17-03-2005, 11:02   #133
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Thats the exact reason why it should be mantained in its present state and not turned into some block paved town center trying to look authentic. The trees and verges have been here longer than any of the residents ( as far as I am aware ).
I have no objection to that, but what is the answer?
On the length of time the verges and trees have been there, have seen old photos of that section including the park gates, and yes the verges and trees were there.

Albert Einstein.

Old 17-03-2005, 11:43   #134
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I thought we had almost agreed to an answer for Rhyddings Street - its long and yellow and comes in pairs. Now the next big debate - which side shall we paint?

Its the Park Lane access that is the bigger problem.
Old 17-03-2005, 11:59   #135
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I thought we had almost agreed to an answer for Rhyddings Street - its long and yellow and comes in pairs. Now the next big debate - which side shall we paint?
HeHe, I'll leave that one to you, you'll know the neighbours better but give me a shout when it's sorted, got my 3" brush ready
Quote:
Its the Park Lane access that is the bigger problem.
Always has been, when we first moved here there was'nt the same number of cars & trany vans parked every where

Albert Einstein.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..