Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-06-2006, 16:03   #31
God Member

Re: Tropical Fish

Got the water tested at harwood and they said it is ok, said the ph was little high but that will sort itself out in due course as the tank matures

got 10 neon tetras, for £10, they said at the shop i should ease new fish in as its a new setup and then next week sometime go back and get the water retested, so got all 10 neons in the tank with the other one, good to watch insetad of just the plants

If the water is still ok next week we can get some more, then same process again of getting water tested....she said it takes about 4 weeks to get the tank to reach maturity and in this time i have to just keep an eye on the fish and any changes in behaviour - also got a starter help sheet which basically tell you the basics of setting the tank up

hows yours goin kipax?...any fish yet?
Old 30-06-2006, 16:20   #32
God Member

Gonna get the water tested tommorow (sat) got more plants in harwood.. but as said wouldnt go back there.. misserable gits.... went to blackburn today.. fish section nowhere near as big as harwood and too many dead fish about for my liking.. so now tried them all bar bolton.... might give that a go this weekend

john how long from setting up to have your water tested was it? ... yes thats how we are gona do it.. a couple of fish a week to build up seems to be the way yer supposed to go.
Old 30-06-2006, 18:13   #33
God Member

Since monday thats when i started mine...but they said today that most waters are ok before any fish are put in them...its when fish food that not eaten and dead leaves from plants start to build up that the water can become unsafe for fish,

but saying that ive had one fish in it since monday as it was attacking the ones in our other tank so dont really think it matters that much as that ones still living
Old 30-06-2006, 18:19   #34
God Member

Ours got water in Monday and some extra plants tuesd wed.... might be OK tommorow then... TBH Julie has been doing it all and she has looked up on fish and found which are placed.. semi aggresive and aggresive..... so she will make a list before we go and wont buy owt thats gonna rip the rest to bits

Whats the one you had attacking? gonna gte some neons first and mebbe two others.... then more next week
Old 30-06-2006, 19:06   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
so now tried them all bar bolton.... might give that a go this weekend
Try the one at Haslingden as well, thats a good selection, its on carrs industrial estate (off the by-pass)

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 23:28   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H
Try the one at Haslingden as well, thats a good selection, its on carrs industrial estate (off the by-pass)
We've been there today It's called Valley Aquatics now. It's really changed since the last time I was there.
Old 01-07-2006, 00:58   #37
God Member

aaaw come on tinks.. give us more than that
Old 01-07-2006, 09:15   #38
Senior Member+

Kipax .. If you are willing to travel to this side of stockport, My brother has a very good fish shop, he REALLY knows his stuff and will only give good truthful advice, and the fish he sells are very good quality, many shops including many of the above just buy and sell what is available.. My brother searches and only buys GOOD fish.

The longer you leave your tank without fish the better.......14 days..
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:22   #39
God Member

cheers simon... mebbe a little far .. gonna try the one on carrs today and then if all else fails the one in bolton.. 14 days!! my kids would explode. there biting at the bit now.... although i know it defeats the object if too early
Old 02-07-2006, 23:33   #40
Senior Member+

OMG i went to the bolton one today - and its fantastic!! last time i went i just happened to co-incide wiht a delievery and about 4 of the aisle's were closed - so i went down today with my daughter and nephews - WOW!!

they had soo many varieties of fish - the tanks seemed to be top notch no floatin deads - only in one tank i think i saw two

had what i went there lookin for - shrimps!! - ended up comin back with a pair of red crabs too - the staff were fantastic - they'd put signs up sayin they were under-staffed but the one that did come was real good my nephews who were amazed to see crab limbs on the gravel he was pointing out what they were like etc

if anyone wants any baby guppies - let me know - i've kinda got an implosion goin on here... damn randy fishes
Old 03-07-2006, 00:40   #41
God Member

I have been to them all now bar bolton and I have to say your original assesment was spot on for every single one.... I need to try bolton... I remeber a hundred years ago when I had tropical fish ...I had a ruby shark and now i cant find one...

Gotta find the bolton shop this weekend

got 5 zebra, 5 little thingy cant recall name.. tetra maybe? and three tiny tropical frogs.... now need catfish leech and couple of others... the zebra fish rule the tank and need putting in there place
Old 03-07-2006, 06:40   #42
God Member

Quote:

Gotta find the bolton shop this weekend
It's HERE, easy to find, just left a touch from the circle and on the top side of the road as you look at the map.
Just done a Google and they have a web-site http://www.britains-aquatic.co.uk/

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:28   #43
God Member

Quote:
Ithree tiny tropical frogs....
I thought you weren't going to bother with those They are well cute. You've got to watch for some of the bigger fish nipping there legs off though which isn't good!
Old 03-07-2006, 08:33   #44
God Member

I didnt realise how small they where. I thought you meant a tank with just frogs type thing ...kids love these... trying to spot all 3 at once is the current game... then seeing them stand like statues.. shoot to top and back down.. comical they bump into the wood etc in there attempt to get back down quick.. then they go back into hiding .. good stuff

Haa thats why there tentative and cautious all the time.. and all I have are fish smaller than them ATM ... hmmm
Old 03-07-2006, 08:42   #45
God Member

My angel fish was the worst for keep trying to pinch their legs, big bully! The crabs would have a go too if they got to close.

When they go missing they're usually hiding up behind the heater or filter on the side of the tank.

How did you find the one at Carr's in comparison to the rest?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..