Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2006, 10:50   #61
God Member

Re: Tropical Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani
and undergravel filter...
We've been having this debate, undergraval or a Fluval.

Which one have you opted for Kipax?

I want the undergravel, I remember how we struggled to keep the water clear last time, mthead has selective memory loss!
Old 05-07-2006, 11:00   #62
God Member

deffo undergravel .. will be having catfish and leech to do there bit as well.

mani the 3d backgrounds i only discovered too late.. they are brilliant.. would deffo have one in a big square tank.. BTW when I say square i didnt mean corner.. I meant more square on.. as high as it is wide

yeagh marine.. far too expensive
Old 06-07-2006, 19:53   #63
God Member

got water tested today at harwood and they say everything is doing greeat and they are shocked by how mature the water seems to be ...they also said that the fish that died could have been killed by certain stuff in tap water such as metals and clorine so they gave me some stuff to treat the tap water.....also got two more fish this time i got two catfisah type fish they are orange and black banded but cant remember the name of them

sticking with the great harwood shop at the moment because everytime i have gone in i think i have been lucky and caught someone who has given me the advice i have needed and got the fish i wanted....saying that though i did go to the blackburn one toget some more plants the other day
Old 06-07-2006, 21:38   #64

Talking Re: Tropical Fish

If your going for a trip to bolton its worth looking in a little fish shop just before bas its on a corner and the is a sign with an angel fish on it. They have a good selection of fish and are cheaper than bas ive had loads from there and they all been fine..
Old 07-07-2006, 00:14   #65
Senior Member+

if ur after bogwood - u can get a decent piece for a fiver from pets at home - they have them all same price i got a nice big chunk

the fluval is ok it came wiht the tank i bought - i was a novice so i opted for that one - but now i'd deffo go undergravel - the water is clean and spotless with what i've got now but its always got the risk that somethings' got inside like a shrimp or a khuli loach i once had
Old 07-07-2006, 12:51   #66
Resting In Peace

Quote:
also got two more fish this time i got two catfisah type fish they are orange and black banded but cant remember the name of them
Clown Loach I think
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:51   #67
Resting In Peace

Quote:
also got two more fish this time i got two catfisah type fish they are orange and black banded but cant remember the name of them
Clown Loach I think
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 16:50   #68
Senior Member+

u can get catfishes that colour scheme too

but the clown loachs are brilliant

they love to play dead and lie on their side - as soon as u get close all worried htey jump up
Old 07-07-2006, 20:29   #69
God Member

the two i have got now have found there homes inside the two bigger shells in my tank so as soon as anybody walks in the rooms they head straight for the shell and then pop their heads out after about 10-15 mins
Old 07-07-2006, 21:22   #70
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
We've been having this debate, undergraval or a Fluval.
My choice is Fluval AND a multi layer(plastic,ceramic,charcoal) filter these are much better at keeping your tank healthy and clean, the most important thing in your tank is BACTERIA (i feel like MR bacteria of the advert ) Bacteria eat fish waste and food waste etc, bacteria live in the sponge and ceramic of the above filters. the more bacteria the healthier your tank.

Bacteria will live in gravel but no where near as well as in sponge etc. also the undergravel system tends to pull the food deep down into the gravel where the fish cant get.. then it rots and makes the water cloudy and your fish i'll

I use sand on the bottom of my tanks too......... stops almost any uneaten food getting trapped...
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 21:43   #71
God Member

Cheers Si, def something to think about.

You can't have sand in with an undergravel though can you?
Old 07-07-2006, 21:45   #72
Senior Member+

No...............

I like the sand it is nice and light and shows of the fish better.
Old 07-07-2006, 21:50   #73
God Member

Yeah I have to agree, I wanted half sand half gravel but we really struggled with just a Fluval last time, but if I want it half and half I'm going to have to choose the Fluval. Decisions decisions!!
Old 07-07-2006, 21:54   #74
Senior Member+

All sand and the biggest fluval that ill fit in your tank.. with a spreader bar on the top of the fluval

And a nice sailfin plec........ the look really nice on a sandy bottom.(not mine on the beach)
Old 07-07-2006, 21:54   #75
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Yeah I have to agree, I wanted half sand half gravel but we really struggled with just a Fluval last time, but if I want it half and half I'm going to have to choose the Fluval. Decisions decisions!!
How big is your tank tinks ??

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..