Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2006, 22:01   #76
God Member

Re: Tropical Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
(not mine on the beach)
lol!

Mines just a 2ft tank. I had one of the hexagon ones last time.
Old 07-07-2006, 22:04   #77
Senior Member+

You should have no problems keeping that crystal clear........ Overfeeding is the most common problem.... you need to be cruel to be kind.. keep e'm keen keep it clean.
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 22:48   #78

Talking Re: Tropical Fish

Before they did the fish shop on carrs ind est there was a seperate tropical shop in the back which wasnt part of the shop. When the closed and did it up they left and have got a new shop in bacup with lots of good stock well worth a visit

Last edited by steveo; 07-07-2006 at 22:54.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 23:10   #79
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo
When the closed and did it up they left and have got a new shop in bacup with lots of good stock well worth a visit
So that's were they took the good bit!! Cheers steveo
Old 08-07-2006, 16:11   #80
Senior Member+

hmmm it wud b interesting to see an under gravel on a sand fish tank

i did have a 2nd one for a few months before a lack of space made me move it and just have the one tank

i'd like a decent small-ish 2nd tank again though for crabs/shrimps etc
Old 08-07-2006, 16:44   #81
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo
Before they did the fish shop on carrs ind est there was a seperate tropical shop in the back which wasnt part of the shop. When the closed and did it up they left and have got a new shop in bacup with lots of good stock well worth a visit
Thats why people are saying its no good now then, I wondered why. I would recommend finding this shop in Bacup cause the guys who run the shop in Barry Price's place really know there stuff and had excellent displays and advice to give, everything I bought from there was healthy too.

Anyone after a really good filter system you want to look into installing a reverse flow under-gravel system, much better this way cause all the waste food, s**t etc won't be sucked below the gravel, downside is you need a pre-filter to remove these things and you'll be very lucky if you grow any plants so plastic will be your best option, you also need to have a good oxygen supply and something to keep the surface water moving.

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 22:11   #82
God Member

I'm just being nosy here but whats a fluval?
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:23   #83
Senior Member+

Old 09-07-2006, 09:53   #84
God Member

Well we still have 6 zebra fish and 3 frogs but two of the little tetras have died.. the other three shoal with the zebras.

Some plants removed as they where dying already.. not replaced wiht plastic... Will will be replacing nearly all plants with plastic for various reasons.... As Julie pointed out.. waste of a lot of money that

Todays the day... Bolton and should be coming home with a catfish or simmilar and at least three other fish to start the population... Will take advice from staff as to how many we should put in this week.

Wil ask my son to take some pics on his mobile of inside of shop for posting here.. my phone (or brick as the kids call it) dont take pics..
Old 09-07-2006, 15:44   #85
Senior Member+

kipax - did u try any plant fertiliser? and i presume u have the high density tube light too?

i should've taken my digi cam - to be honest bolton doesnt have too many exhibition tanks like harwood does but the other tanks just blow em outta the water

get soem shrimps too - htey just hang around makin sure ur tanks' clean - ask em for an SAE one of the best algae eaters in the business
Old 09-07-2006, 20:01   #86
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani
hmmm it wud b interesting to see an under gravel on a sand fish tank
Don't be cheeky mani it will only earn you a slap!

I worded it wrong, I meant it more as a question. I knows there's undergravel ..... which is for under the gravel (see I'm a clever girl really ) but I was sort of asking if theres one that filters under sand as I want half sand half gravel. ..... I knew what I meant I can't help it if you can't read minds
Old 09-07-2006, 20:34   #87

Talking Re: Tropical Fish

Ive just been looking on e bay for plants because i resent paying £1.80 for one plant at the fish shop. Ive found a few a they seem to be cheaper and was wondering if anyone had bought in this way?????
Old 09-07-2006, 20:51   #88
God Member

Right then.. Went to Bolton and yes.. very ipressive... Certainly the biggest collection so far.... but the place was packed and only two young lads serving... ques to get there attention.. We are gonna go back midweek... popped into blackbutn on way back..

Now have (5 zebra, 3 eqautic frogs and 3 tetra already) added today a black red tailed shark, a blue siamese fighting fish... 4 orang black finned platties? and two catfish.. so 16 fish and the tank looks empty

The 5 zebra are still bossing the tank as well
Old 09-07-2006, 20:54   #89
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani
kipax - did u try any plant fertiliser? and i presume u have the high density tube light too?
gonna replace live plants with plastic.. slow but sure and dunno about the lights as they came with the tank... two tubes built into lid and a plastic screen between tobes and water..

yeagh saw some wierd fish in bolton that i didnt know where tropical.. the black ghost which we couldnt gte cus of siamese.. so one or other.... the pipe fish where also wierd as where a few others...

gonna have a proper look round when just me and julie and not three kids in tow
Old 09-07-2006, 21:25   #90

I had a black knife fish once they look really cool in shop untill you get them home and they hide behind rocks and stuff and rarely come. In the shop there was nothing in the tank and they swam round loads and looked great so had to have one but i never saw it..

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..