Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-06-2006, 16:32   #1
God Member

Tropical Fish

Just starting.. Well after a 30 year break.. Got a 4 foot fishtank and just setting it up... long haul.... Wheres best place to buy the fish n stuff ... Got tank, stand and enough bits to setup
Old 26-06-2006, 16:40   #2
God Member

Re: Tropical Fish

It's ages since I've had tropical fish after my youngest murdered them all by feeding them a packet of crisps!

I always used the one on Carr's Industrial Estate, I can't remember it's name but I'm sure some-one will, it's a big white building.

Check out the tropical frogs Kipax, they are ace to keep, I could sit and watch those for hours.
Old 26-06-2006, 16:40   #3
God Member

Aquascope at Gt Harwood or Barry Price's on Carrs industrial estate in Haslingden are your best bet

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2006, 16:50   #4
God Member

we use the place in blackburn just further up from ice arena cant remember its name
Old 26-06-2006, 16:51   #5
I am Banned

Hehehe Kipax there must be something in the air LOL after a long break from losing my tropical frogs ive got the tank out again & got a couple of goldfish cos the kids won them at the fair & im so chuffed they have so be looking to gain a few more, altho my kids were itching at the shop whilst getting watersafe, for more fish while were were at Barlows Aquatic, Scaitcliffe st, Acc [if you wanted one really local].

Ive ordered tank/fish stuff off ebay which is handy.

Maybe more fish next week once aquarium has settled altho impressed at it so far that all still works well....mmmm snoggy from Aquamania Tinks we need to go back to that place

Last edited by accymel; 26-06-2006 at 17:11.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2006, 16:52   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Timmins
we use the place in blackburn just further up from ice arena cant remember its name
Its Aquamania
Old 26-06-2006, 16:52   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Timmins
Aquamania isn't it?

www.ubuntu.com

Old 26-06-2006, 17:13   #8
I am Banned

Talking of Ebay, it ended being cheaper than to buy from aqua shop, just ordered an airpump with line & airstone, P&P, which was cheaper than buying the pump alone from shop.
Old 26-06-2006, 18:10   #9
God Member

I got all this off ebay.. quite a bargain actually.. have a look
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7774874765

Darnt let kids see frogs.. stick to tropical fish Its just that its been so long since I had them ... only thing I can remember is a ruby shark.. used to like watching that.. very gracefull

I was thinking of a ride to harwod but was too late tonight as it closes 4.30 during week.. the one in blackburn closes at 6pm and the one in accy is litrally round the corner.. but looks small.. is it deceptive?
Old 26-06-2006, 18:27   #10
God Member

Its like 2 living rooms in a terraced house, I was never too impressed with the stock in the Accy one, much more choice at Harwood and Haslingden. I later moved onto marines so didn't have many dealing with him at accy

www.ubuntu.com

Old 26-06-2006, 18:28   #11
I am Banned

The one in Accy is relatively small but its amazing what he fits in it LOL seems ok & got what i needed so not too bad if you dont want to be trekking far but depends what you are after though.
Old 26-06-2006, 18:31   #12
I am Banned

Not bad Kipax LOL

Least its got all the things to get you started & its local pickup

Now what fish are you after??
Old 26-06-2006, 18:33   #13
God Member

Are you going to have a communal tank (varied species) or do you want to concentrate on a specific breed? if the latter and you want something unusual you'll not find much round here, I used to go to a place in Tong bridge lane - Bolton called Daves aquatics for the exotic stuff.

www.ubuntu.com

Old 26-06-2006, 20:54   #14
God Member

communal deffo.. julie has been looking it all up and which are least aggressive.. water is in tank now.. bubbles everywhere so gotta wait 5-7 days for it to settle
Old 27-06-2006, 03:26   #15
Senior Member+

*LOL*

i've had two tanks runnin for about 3-4 yrs now - alot wiht a decent amount of success - only one massacre which was due to me cleanin the tank out cuz of a snail problem - but some did survive

now its ok got an algae problem but its all good...

i've been to quite alot of shops in the nw

barlows in accy is ok - good for local convinience - to buy fish food etc

aquamania (nr ice rink) has a excellant variety though the fish seem suspect buyin from there

pets at home (new store next to b&q in blackburn) decent selection but they generally have a real bad rep for the quality of fish keeping. this one seems ok though my mollys which are usually hardy fish didnt last. excellant for late nite as its the only store open till 8 on weekdays. excellant for supplies though.

aquascope (great harwood) - i simply love goin here for the large display fish tanks they have. 3-4ft sharks etc - go there on saturday at 2pm i htink for a feeding frenzy - selection of fish is excellant huge variety. these guys do have a good rep in the fishin community online. equipment is good - they have some stuff not found in other stores. bit pricey. but the BIGGGGGG downer for me is their service. the assistants just dont seem to be willing to get ur fish for u and seem to drag their heels and come across as quite unfriendly.

Northern Koi Aquatic & Pet Superstore (burnley) - i went to this once - it had an ok trop selection - more for outdoor fishes as the title suggests.

BRITAINS AQUATIC SUPERSTORE (bolton)- simply the best all around. this place must have some of the most comprehensive collections of fishes ever. there must be over 300 tanks in this place and its just phenomenal - cud do with better lighting as its a bit dark in places but cant fautl it really. the supplies side of things are stunning - well worth the trip with the kids if nothing else!! this place has a nationwide reputation and i've known londoners havin day trips to this place!

been to a few in preston but they were small nothing like aquascope or mania

http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/

that is THE definitive site for fishes and information - if those ppl cant help u with a prob no matter how unique it may be - no one can!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..