Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2009, 22:31   #46
God Member

Re: 13 year old dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Couldnt disagree with the part i have underlined more, some of the most successful people in the world came from a under privaliged upbringing.

Have you got a list of all the ones born to a 13yr old and 15 yr old parent ?
Old 13-02-2009, 22:37   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Have you got a list of all the ones born to a 13yr old and 15 yr old parent ?
Does there age really matter that much?

surely maturity and a willingness to learn the skills required to be a good parent are far more important than age.
Old 13-02-2009, 22:43   #48
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

surely maturity and a willingness to learn the skills required to be a good parent are far more important than age.
Maturity
Old 13-02-2009, 22:44   #49
God Member

Quote:

I noticed his maturity in the article ;

Quote:
He said it was the first time he’d had sex, that he didn’t know what he was doing and of the complications that could come.
Old 13-02-2009, 23:00   #50
Resting in Peace

Got a feeling that there is more to this than meets the eye.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 23:00   #51
God Member

There isnt an ounce of maturity in the small boy.
Maturity comes with education and age. knowing right from wrong and being able to seperate the difference.
We are talking about a small 13 yr old boy Yes he has fathered a baby but that dosent make him qualified to bring it up and give it the lifes knowledge it needs .
what is being said here is that the parents of these two kids havent been able to educate them so how the hell do they stand a chance educating a wee one of thier own when they dont know whats right or wrong themselves.

When My kids were little the law was a child couldnt even babysit until they were 14 yrs and then they had to be a responsible 14 yr old wouldnt like to quote the law now as im not sure but cant see it changing that much
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 23:31   #52
Give, give, give member

Quote:
So purely because the babys parents are young they are unable to raise a child to become a decent member of society?
Well since they are both too young to leave full time education, the chances of them being able to 'raise' their child is financially going to fall on the tax payer, and not them.

I do take your point about all young parents not being feckless. I happen to know a young couple who were 'caught out', when he was 15 and she was 16. They are still happily married...and have been for over forty odd years, having brought up a happy, well adjusted family.

The chances are this relationsship won't last, all the statistics are stacked against them, and the person who will suffer most will be the child of this union.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 23:34   #53
Give, give, give member

I wouldn't trust such a juvenile 13 year old to look after my house plants all by himself, never mind leave him in sole care of a baby.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 23:49   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
There isnt an ounce of maturity in the small boy.
Maturity comes with education and age. knowing right from wrong and being able to seperate the difference.
We are talking about a small 13 yr old boy Yes he has fathered a baby but that dosent make him qualified to bring it up and give it the lifes knowledge it needs .
what is being said here is that the parents of these two kids havent been able to educate them so how the hell do they stand a chance educating a wee one of thier own when they dont know whats right or wrong themselves.

When My kids were little the law was a child couldnt even babysit until they were 14 yrs and then they had to be a responsible 14 yr old wouldnt like to quote the law now as im not sure but cant see it changing that much
I do believe the law states you must be 15yr old to be legal as a babysitter.i wouldnt fancy my chances of leaving a baby in this little boys care.responsibiity is a huge undertaking which neither parent has instilled in their children.It wont be these two young parents facing up to their responsibilities it will be the grand parents,who in the first place should never of allowed this to happen
Polly_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 23:51   #55
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Got a feeling that there is more to this than meets the eye
After the Matthews fiasco, anything is possible.

From bits gleaned from various newspapers, there are rumours on the estate that he isn't the childs father, that it could be one of many. That the girl's house was a popular haunt for people wanting to smoke cannabis, visitors coming and going all the time. Unbelieveably the girls mother was Alfie's babysitter. Some doctors seem surprised this lad could have fathered the child.

Watched the family on Sky News a short while ago, they almost seem to be enjoying the publicity.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 23:58   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Well since they are both too young to leave full time education, the chances of them being able to 'raise' their child is financially going to fall on the tax payer, and not them.

I do take your point about all young parents not being feckless. I happen to know a young couple who were 'caught out', when he was 15 and she was 16. They are still happily married...and have been for over forty odd years, having brought up a happy, well adjusted family.

The chances are this relationsship won't last, all the statistics are stacked against them, and the person who will suffer most will be the child of this union.
I can understand the point about financially they will have to claim benifits, however, as both are under 16 the only benefit they will be eligible for is child benefit (which IIRC is only £20ish).

Whats to say they wont both leave school with amazing exam results and go on to become doctors or laywers? (yes i realise its very unlikely but it is possible).

I really hate the way this topic has been worded by some, judging purely off what the story reports and not considering the million and one side notes that MAY have been excluded from the story.

Its easy to look at this story and say they wont be any good as parents, but I personally see that as being very judgemental and wrong. Everyone deserves a chance to prove themselves, and how do we know how well they will cope as parents, none of us have met this lad or the girl (who seems to be getting off lightly, whys everything targeting the boy?). For all we know they could be the most amazing parents ever.

And i agree the statistics are against them, but 98% of statistics are BS anyway.
Old 14-02-2009, 00:00   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly_45 View Post
It wont be these two young parents facing up to their responsibilities it will be the grand parents,who in the first place should never of allowed this to happen
Because im sure they were sat in the corner watching while thier kids had sex.

You cant put the blame onto the parents, kids these days know about sex and know the consequences. Someone telling them not to do something aint gonna stop them.
Old 14-02-2009, 00:03   #58
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Because im sure they were sat in the corner watching while thier kids had sex.

Apparantly the two were allowed to share a bed at the girls home.

Can't put the blame on the parents? absolute bullshine!!

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 00:04   #59
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I can understand the point about financially they will have to claim benifits, however, as both are under 16 the only benefit they will be eligible for is child benefit (which IIRC is only £20ish).

Whats to say they wont both leave school with amazing exam results and go on to become doctors or laywers? (yes i realise its very unlikely but it is possible).

I really hate the way this topic has been worded by some, judging purely off what the story reports and not considering the million and one side notes that MAY have been excluded from the story.

Its easy to look at this story and say they wont be any good as parents, but I personally see that as being very judgemental and wrong. Everyone deserves a chance to prove themselves, and how do we know how well they will cope as parents, none of us have met this lad or the girl (who seems to be getting off lightly, whys everything targeting the boy?). For all we know they could be the most amazing parents ever.

And i agree the statistics are against them, but 98% of statistics are BS anyway.
everyone deserves a chance to show how they will cope, yes if they are mature enough, i aint no expert n nor or you speedy, but if they are mature enough, i am a dingle. n being judgemental is not n issue, they proved they aint mature on national tv.
Old 14-02-2009, 00:10   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Apparantly the two were allowed to share a bed at the girls home.

Can't put the blame on the parents? absolute bullshine!!
I have shared a bed with many a female friend and managed to restrain myself, its all about self control.

Besides if they hadn't done it in the bed they would have found somewhere else to concieve the child.

If you can blame the parents for things like this, do we also lock up the parents of rapists/murderers/muggers/car thiefs etc etc.....because they were obviously in the wrong for not educating thier children aswell.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..