Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Market Hall Refurbishment (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/market-hall-refurbishment-51037.html)

BERNADETTE 08-07-2010 16:23

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazey (Post 827136)
I went in there a few times and always thought it was full of drunks and weirdos!

Never seen any drunks using it and it depends what you term weirdos:( But to be honest I don't spend my time judging people:)

garinda 08-07-2010 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 827144)
Never seen any drunks using it and it depends what you term weirdos:( But to be honest I don't spend my time judging people:)

We really should have sat on the stools, rather than the floor, when we used to meet in there.

Perhaps we should have put the gin bottles we were drinking from in paper bags, so visiting students wouldn't have us down as two lushes.

:rolleyes:

Wynonie Harris 08-07-2010 20:29

So, is Russ's caff still there?

Taggy 08-07-2010 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 827244)
So, is Russ's caff still there?

Yep Russ is still there....back in his usual position now!

Best Regards - Taggy

Wynonie Harris 08-07-2010 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taggy (Post 827246)
Yep Russ is still there....back in his usual position now!

Best Regards - Taggy

Cheers, mate, wouldn't want to miss my Sat lunchtime brew! :)

Alan Gilmartin 09-07-2010 08:07

Mi dad said they had uncovered the flag floors, zoomed in they look really good, it was worth it just for that, but it looks good to me, wonder what the ghosts taders of years gone bye would have thought, old Len, etc.

Taggy 09-07-2010 09:04

Yeah the Original Flagged floor does look better i'll admit!

Best Regards - Taggy

blazey 15-07-2010 21:20

I went in today and thought it looked a bit characterless and badly planned. Why are there several cafes next to each other? It looks like the market isn't getting enough business to justify the refurbishment.

cashman 15-07-2010 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazey (Post 829225)
I went in today and thought it looked a bit characterless and badly planned. Why are there several cafes next to each other? It looks like the market isn't getting enough business to justify the refurbishment.

Pretty good summary to me is that,;)

Retlaw 15-07-2010 22:27

Went in to day and can't say they have improved the place one bit, open spaces where stalls used to be, probably very few traders can afford the rent.
Noticed in one empty space some clown has put a display up about the Accrington Pals, there are more mistakes in it than there are flags on the market floor, people will start to believe that tripe because it was on display in the market hall so it must be true.
One in particular Basil Arthur Horsfall, Basil was actualy killed whilst obeying orders to withdraw, him and a sergeant were the last two to leave the position, and were dashing across open ground, when a shell landed, when the sergeant picked himself up Horsfall had disappeared, not died 10 hours later, and his VC is in a safe in Fulwood Museum, not in Blackburn Museum.
Some how they've put up some of my work amongst it without asking me, they've also put up a timeline for WW1 which I used in 2006 when they had the anniversary at the Howarth Art Gallery, again without asking.
Enquired at the library and they don't know any thing about it.

Retlaw.

Gayle 16-07-2010 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 829243)
Noticed in one empty space some clown has put a display up about the Accrington Pals, there are more mistakes in it than there are flags on the market floor, people will start to believe that tripe because it was on display in the market hall so it must be true.
One in particular Basil Arthur Horsfall, Basil was actualy killed whilst obeying orders to withdraw, him and a sergeant were the last two to leave the position, and were dashing across open ground, when a shell landed, when the sergeant picked himself up Horsfall had disappeared, not died 10 hours later, and his VC is in a safe in Fulwood Museum, not in Blackburn Museum.
Some how they've put up some of my work amongst it without asking me, they've also put up a timeline for WW1 which I used in 2006 when they had the anniversary at the Howarth Art Gallery, again without asking.
Enquired at the library and they don't know any thing about it.

Retlaw.

So just out of curiosity, are the mistakes in there ones that you put in as deliberate mistakes so that you would recognise your own work?

cashman 16-07-2010 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 829307)
So just out of curiosity, are the mistakes in there ones that you put in as deliberate mistakes so that you would recognise your own work?

Does that really matter?:confused:

Retlaw 16-07-2010 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 829307)

Still having a go, are we. No the deliberate mistake was in a picture on display in Accrington Library.
The mistakes I'm refering to in the Market Hall has been done by some clown who think they are a Pals expert, and got several dates, times, and facts wrong.
If you read the original post you will see that neither the Library or I was aware of the display.

Retlaw.

bullseyebarb 16-07-2010 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 829337)
The mistakes I'm refering to in the Market Hall has been done by some clown who think they are a Pals expert, and got several dates, times, and facts wrong.
If you read the original post you will see that neither the Library or I was aware of the display.
Retlaw.

Perhaps it was your nemesis, The Harrogate Tripe Dresser, Walter. Hope you plan to lodge a complaint regarding the errors, not to mention the lack of attribution.

They were still working on the Market Hall renovations when I visited in March.

Gayle 16-07-2010 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 829337)
Still having a go, are we. No the deliberate mistake was in a picture on display in Accrington Library.
Retlaw.

Not having a go at all, just asking if you knew where the mistakes might have come from.

The problem with all things like this is that someone in the council will have been asked to provide a display. And, without your decades of experience they'll have got the information out of books and from the internet and no doubt made mistakes - then the next time anything is needed along these lines someone else will copy it and add to it and make more mistakes.

Now, if only there was an expert who was willing to help out and correct their mistakes!!!!

Margaret Pilkington 16-07-2010 17:22

Gayle, maybe they should have asked Retlaw to help them out.

I too, think that, while the intentions to make the Market Hall better, were there......I think it has failed, and like Blazey, I think it looks lost and characterless......just my opinion.

Retlaw 16-07-2010 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullseyebarb (Post 829350)
Perhaps it was your nemesis, The Harrogate Tripe Dresser, Walter. Hope you plan to lodge a complaint regarding the errors, not to mention the lack of attribution.

They were still working on the Market Hall renovations when I visited in March.

No it weren't him, he has nowt about Horsfall on his site.
Whats the point last time I pointed the errors on Oswaldtwistle's new memorial plaque,
britcliffe spouted off in the Observer, that if Mr Holmes would supply us with a list, he would have it checked. Who the hell is going to check it, who has the resorces or the knowledge to check it, does he really think they would admit to having made mistakes.
Pigs may fly some day, but not just yet.

Retlaw.

blazey 17-07-2010 19:31

I will admit that I felt more inclined to use the café in the market now... well one of them... but maybe this was because I needed to make a phone call and didn't want the wind and traffic in the background.

Gremlin 17-07-2010 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 829397)
No it weren't him, he has nowt about Horsfall on his site.
Whats the point last time I pointed the errors on Oswaldtwistle's new memorial plaque,
britcliffe spouted off in the Observer, that if Mr Holmes would supply us with a list, he would have it checked. Who the hell is going to check it, who has the resorces or the knowledge to check it, does he really think they would admit to having made mistakes.
Pigs may fly some day, but not just yet.

Retlaw.

A pig finally flew for the first time in May 1909 as Lord Brabazon took a pig as a passenger on his Voisin biplane. The pig was seated on a wicker basket with sign saying "I am the first pig to fly".

Atarah 28-07-2010 12:02

8 Attachment(s)
Few more up to date Market Hall photos - Wednesday - half day closing so empty of people.

pipinfort 28-07-2010 13:06

I think the new look market looks great, all they need now is some decent stalls in there..............

lancsdave 28-07-2010 16:51

I heard they were trying to get the traders to open 6 days a week. I guess from the photos it didn't work

SPUGGIE J 28-07-2010 19:25

Well was in on Saturday and it was about as appealing as having a tooth pulled without them numbing it first. The feel was all wrong almost like walking into a half built shopping mall. It was empty of people and there was no atmosphere. It was like walking into a bad dream. They made the mistake of getting rid of the old market thinking something new would be better and are trying it here and there is a good chance it is going to fail as well.

cashman 28-07-2010 22:13

agree with spugs, its half empty, no atmosphere, ok the work done aint bad, but its very poorly planned.can just see loads of folk trolling up those lovely stairs especially the elderly n disabled, loaded wi shopping, feel sorry fer the traders up yon, cos the small lift is impractical.:rolleyes:

Tealeaf 28-07-2010 22:18

Err..not having been there for a while now, I'm a little confused. Is the fitting out finished or not? Are workmen still in there constructing market stalls?

cashman 28-07-2010 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 832146)
Err..not having been there for a while now, I'm a little confused. Is the fitting out finished or not? Are workmen still in there constructing market stalls?

Its a bit like Stanley T, nobody really knows.:D

Tealeaf 28-07-2010 22:50

What? O'Neil is in charge of the Market Hall redevelopment?

cashman 28-07-2010 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 832153)
What? O'Neil is in charge of the Market Hall redevelopment?

Dunno, but sure looks like it.:rolleyes:

Tealeaf 28-07-2010 23:13

We will know for certain when we get an official announcement that everything will be completed in a '..matter of days'.

Atarah 31-07-2010 10:26

Just been in the Market Hall. I have to say it is definitely "growing on me", BUT ...... what loud music I walked into! Someone, in their wisdom, has put a gentleman playing an electric piano/organ, in the centre of the empty floor, but its so loud, and so old fashioned sounding! No disrespect to him or his playing, but the centre of the Market Hall is NOT the place for him. All it needs is some piped, pleasant background music. The stallholders can't hear what the customers are asking for!

Bernard Dawson 31-07-2010 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 832743)
Just been in the Market Hall. I have to say it is definitely "growing on me", BUT ...... what loud music I walked into! Someone, in their wisdom, has put a gentleman playing an electric piano/organ, in the centre of the empty floor, but its so loud, and so old fashioned sounding! No disrespect to him or his playing, but the centre of the Market Hall is NOT the place for him. All it needs is some piped, pleasant background music. The stallholders can't hear what the customers are asking for!

I think you're right Atarah.I'm all for live music, and it was worth trying as an experiment. But it just doesn't work in the market hall in my opinion.

There's to many empty spaces,and I know its not easy, but we do need more stalls.

Margaret Pilkington 31-07-2010 13:48

I think that Spuggie has hit the nail on the head. Couldn't have put it better myself.

SPUGGIE J 31-07-2010 17:36

Quote:

Good job they didnt put a bag pipe player in there then.

Tealeaf 31-07-2010 17:56

Quote:

I must confess to being a little puzzled by this remark. Surely the last thing we now want in Accy's market hall - which is one of the three jewels in the town's crown - is some pathethic musak played over some squeaky set of electronic speakers.

This place is not the ASDA or some other similar shopping hell for the mentally subnormal as they go in search of cans of spam, bacon fry or similar reconstituted meat slurry; it is a place of contemplation followed by economic activity, i.e. a market hall.

Surely the music played should therfore match it's history and as such something like a string quartet knocking out Elgar's, Mendelssohn's and Vaughn William's greatest hits would be far more appropriate?

flashy 31-07-2010 18:57

i was in there yet again this afternoon, yeah it looks ok but it also looks like no one can afford to rent stalls, there's so much empty space it looks like people have just abandoned it, the best thing in there is Slacks butchers

blazey 31-07-2010 20:36

I went in again yesterday and it felt even less like a market place. I don't like it.

Angelic 08-08-2010 16:54

I think it looks great! How many other local councils are currently investing in their dated market halls? Not many I'd guess. I'd certainly shop there rather than go into Burnley which is nearer.

g jones 08-08-2010 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelic (Post 835165)
I think it looks great! How many other local councils are currently investing in their dated market halls? Not many I'd guess. I'd certainly shop there rather than go into Burnley which is nearer.

It was funded by central government from general taxation. The Council did not fund the renovation. The Council's first option was to sell the market off which drew must interest but no bidders because the accounts were a (profitable) mess.

My view was then and is now that the private sector be brought in with markets expertise. When the two year sell off failed that became the Council's preferred option.

At that stage opposition Councillors were removed from the project and the detail of the refurbishment and the business was totally in the hands of two people. Councillors Haworth and Britcliffe.

Whilst the private sector avenue was the best option, the way the Council has handled it is poor. Bully boy tactics on traders, lack of consultation, new imposed contracts that have left many stalls empty, food establishments in the wrong place.

It is currently losing around £150,000 - £200,000 pa less than it should be making. It is probably making around £50,000-£100,000 profit (though the accounts are still a mess). The failure to maximise income in the market will cost the Council tax 4% of Council Tax revenue which will have to paid for by Council Tax payers. It is affecting everyone.

If the markets problems (with traders / contracts / opening hours / food concessions) it could turn into a major problem quickly.

Little thought has been given to the money and ideas the Council have been given.

SPUGGIE J 08-08-2010 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by g jones (Post 835168)
It was funded by central government from general taxation. The Council did not fund the renovation. The Council's first option was to sell the market off which drew must interest but no bidders because the accounts were a (profitable) mess.

My view was then and is now that the private sector be brought in with markets expertise. When the two year sell off failed that became the Council's preferred option.

At that stage opposition Councillors were removed from the project and the detail of the refurbishment and the business was totally in the hands of two people. Councillors Haworth and Britcliffe.

Whilst the private sector avenue was the best option, the way the Council has handled it is poor. Bully boy tactics on traders, lack of consultation, new imposed contracts that have left many stalls empty, food establishments in the wrong place.

It is currently losing around £150,000 - £200,000 pa less than it should be making. It is probably making around £50,000-£100,000 profit (though the accounts are still a mess). The failure to maximise income in the market will cost the Council tax 4% of Council Tax revenue which will have to paid for by Council Tax payers. It is affecting everyone.

If the markets problems (with traders / contracts / opening hours / food concessions) it could turn into a major problem quickly.

Little thought has been given to the money and ideas the Council have been given.

Graham I am no expert but based on what you have put the market and market hall will be lucky to survive another 3 years.

It also comes across that Mssrs Howarth and Britcliffe didnt want it in the hands of a private expert/experts as then they would have control. Because of what I would class as incompetence arrogance and glory hunting the town could end up with a white elephant.

Wynonie Harris 08-08-2010 18:01

Went in there for the first time since refurbishment yesterday...couldn't believe what they've done to it. The market hall was one of the jewels in Accrington's crown. It was the envy of other surrounding towns who demolished theirs in the 60's modernisation mania. Once it was thriving, bustling and full of atmosphere. Now it's sterile, empty and lifeless. First they ruined the outside market, now they've ruined the market hall. What a complete and utter disgrace. :( :mad:

heth 08-08-2010 18:34

i havent been in it yet but dont think i want to now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,only go in for the butchers when i can afford rather than asda meat :(

g jones 10-08-2010 21:03

Bloody difficult typing on a mobile!

It's not a disaster as yet but the councillors running the council are unable to make business decisions and a lot of money has been wasted.

I believe the market hall can be saved going along the lines that one or two have suggested.

garinda 11-08-2010 07:24

Went in yesterday.

It just seems very empty, and souless, and bereft of many of the stalls that used to be there.

The original flagged floor looks great. It's just that I'd like to see less of it, because thriving businesses were trading on it.

Gayle 11-08-2010 08:22

As far as I know all the stalls and shops upstairs will be full by Sept.

I went in to talk to the market hall boss because I need somewhere to place a couple of artists for a project. I was told I couldn't be guaranteed a stall/shop because they all, bar one, had been booked or was under discussion.

As for the music - the idea is to create a lively space. I was in Covent Garden the other week and sat in a bar having a drink when a band struck up close by. I'm not saying that Accrington Market is anything like Covent Garden and I do agree that the music needs to be appropriate, but it also needs to find its feet.

Benipete 11-08-2010 08:36

Is there a bar in there? If not there should be.It's the only way to shop.

cashman 11-08-2010 08:38

Thing is gayle wi shopping centres @ many people, First Impressions count! sorry finding its feet could be a forlorn hope.:(

garinda 11-08-2010 08:42

When I lived in London I much prefered Tooting market, rather than Covent Garden.

At one I could actually buy things I needed, on my way home from work, rather than have an Indian head massage, or not buy tourist tat.

The two stalls I regularly buy from in the Market Hall, who are still there, say trade has fallen.

By it's very definition a market is a public place where goods are offered for sale.

Services such as nail bars, and tarot reading, can't really be classed as fitting the dictionary definition of what a market is supposed to be.

That said, the floor does look great though.

Wynonie Harris 11-08-2010 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 836124)
Is there a bar in there? If not there should be.It's the only way to shop.

Excellent idea! I spend many a happy Saturday afternoon at the bar in the Arndale Market in Manchester. Pick a few bits and pieces, then have a few beers while watching the world go by. Accy Market should get one right away. Definitely, the only way to shop! :Banane35:

Mick 11-08-2010 08:51

I just wish they had found the original floor sooner then the people that tried to lay the paving stones round town would know how to do it property instead of all the loose stones there are now.
The floor looks good and is sound and nothing loose.
I was talking to one of the stall holders he used to stand on the old outside market when i was on.
he said they are waiting for the rent rise and loosing a lot of trade
the music is far to loud and tends to echo round making it hard hearing anything

garinda 11-08-2010 08:54

When it comes to what's done under the umberalla of 'improvements' in Accrington, I'm left in a state of fear.

Accrington can no longer be described as a town with a thriving market. As it was ten years ago.

The 'improved' outdoor market is a sad, pathetic, reflection of what it once was, before it was tampered with.

garinda 11-08-2010 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 836140)
I just wish they had found the original floor sooner then the people that tried to lay the paving stones round town would know how to do it property instead of all the loose stones there are now.
The floor looks good and is sound and nothing loose.
I was talking to one of the stall holders he used to stand on the old outside market when i was on.
he said they are waiting for the rent rise and loosing a lot of trade
the music is far to loud and tends to echo round making it hard hearing anything

Lol, we say that every week.

So much for improvements.

The Victorians knew how to lay flags, and didn't have to risk life and limb, avoiding the appalling pavements Accrington has today.

The town has some of the worst pavements and walkways in the country.

Tealeaf 11-08-2010 09:23

I suppose a Champagne & Oyster bar would be out of the question...

garinda 11-08-2010 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 836161)

Corporation pop and winkle bar any good for you?

Wynonie Harris 11-08-2010 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 836161)

Tell you what, Mr T, you'd love the Micro Brewery Bar in Manc Market with its constantly changing selection of real ales and ciders. If they got summat like that in Accy Market, it might at least lift the atmosphere somewhat! ;)

Atarah 14-08-2010 11:47

Hi, just been in Market Hall this morning. Been told by more than one stallholder that, from Oct 1st they HAVE to open six days a week! HAVE TO! They DONT WANT TO! Who can tell them WHEN they can or cant open their own stalls up?

boxer22 14-08-2010 12:01

I don`t like the like the new market very much,seems to me there are less stalls than usual, the guy selling ready cooked chickens,is welcome.

Margaret Pilkington 14-08-2010 12:05

And what will happen to them if they don't?
They should all get together and tell the powers that be, to see a Taxidermist on their own behalf! or in simple parlance, to get stuffed!

cashman 14-08-2010 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 837134)
And what will happen to them if they don't?
They should all get together and tell the powers that be, to see a Taxidermist on their own behalf! or in simple parlance, to get stuffed!

Seems to me will that stupid directive, even more may up sticks n leave, ONLY in Accrington could this happen?:rolleyes:

lancsdave 14-08-2010 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 837144)
even more may up sticks n leave,

Some of them are already thinking of it :(

garinda 14-08-2010 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 837127)
Hi, just been in Market Hall this morning. Been told by more than one stallholder that, from Oct 1st they HAVE to open six days a week! HAVE TO! They DONT WANT TO! Who can tell them WHEN they can or cant open their own stalls up?

Revolution!

Just came on to post the same thing, and was told today, by five surviving long term traders, that if it is forced through, it won't cover their costs, so they'll just pack up and leave.

Apparently the person pushing for six day opening is the owner of the upstairs cafe, who happens to be the son of the Leader of the Council, one Peter Britcliffe.

If he wanted a cafe that opened six/seven days a week, perhaps he should have taken one of the many empty shops in the town centre. I'm sure he wouldn't have had any problem with planning permission.

By the way, do take time to enjoy the musicans that are now sited where there was once stalls. According to the Market Hall traders they are being funded by the public purse, via our taxes. So make sure you get your money's worth.

Perhaps we'll get them to play at the wake, when the last traditional Market Hall trader has left the building.

cashman 14-08-2010 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 837146)
Some of them are already thinking of it :(

am aware of that dave, thats why i made the comment.;)

garinda 14-08-2010 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 837264)
Apparently the person pushing for six day opening is the owner of the upstairs cafe, who happens to be the son of the Leader of the Council, one Peter Britcliffe.

Quite savvy really.

I don't suppose an interest needs to be offically declared by a councillor, when it's your son who 'owns' a commercial concern, despite what's rumoured to be the truth.

Barrie Yates 14-08-2010 16:57

When do the residents of Hyndburn get the chamce to vote PB out of office?

garinda 14-08-2010 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 837286)

They don't.

That's down to me, and a few others, that live in his ward.

Or unless the balance of power changes, and his party don't have a workable majority, helped and aided by a monkey in Mayoral chains.

garinda 14-08-2010 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 837288)
They don't.

Or unless the balance of power changes, and his party don't have a workable majority, helped and aided by a monkey in Mayoral chains.

When it comes to Hyndburn as a whole, he was twice rejected in General Elections.

Baconman 14-08-2010 17:29

Traders are not happy at all at being dictated to. They are only just managimg 4 - 5 days . no one is taking into acount that they run these buisness as sole traders. Even alot of the new traders on the new balcony are not willing to do 6 days

Atarah 14-08-2010 17:32

You cannot be serious!!
Thats awful! This needs taking up, officially!
Graham! Where are you!!!!

garinda 14-08-2010 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 837302)
You cannot be serious!!

If you mean the person who is leading the campaign for the Market Hall traders being forced to open six days a week, that person being the son of our Council Leader, Cllr. Britcliffe, I'm afraid it is sadly true.

Retlaw 14-08-2010 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 837305)
If you mean the person who is leading the campaign for the Market Hall traders being forced to open six days a week, that person being the son of our Council Leader, Cllr. Britcliffe, I'm afraid it is sadly true.

Are you sure, could he have spawned a son.
Any way I thought there were laws about a 5 day working week in this country, or is Britcliffe land a separate sovereign state.

Retlaw.

Taggy 14-08-2010 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 837305)

Was it his Son that was running the Cafe up Infant Street that PB owns?

Best Regards - Taggy

garinda 14-08-2010 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taggy (Post 837337)
Was it his Son that was running the Cafe up Infant Street that PB owns?

Best Regards - Taggy

Apparently.

Taggy 14-08-2010 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 837345)
Apparently.

Be interesting to know how many bids were put in for that unit!

Best Regards - Taggy

BERNADETTE 14-08-2010 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 837288)
They don't.

If he is doing such a bad job why has he not been voted out of office before now??? It is all good and well that he is a good/great councillor for his ward and so are many within the borough (within their own wards). Seems to me that all our elected councillors are only interested in their own domains. Sorry but Hyndburn/ Accrington/ Rishton/ Great Harwood, should all be working together for the better of the voting public. Certain areas of the borough are being left to rot and it is wrong on all fronts.Would love to see a solution but whilst certain areas (and nobody looking around can say it is just ossy) are getting the majority of funding, what chance of the deprived areas got???
Time the lot of you reading this and elected to represent us pulled together but ain't holding my breath:(

Taggy 14-08-2010 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 837385)
If he is doing such a bad job why has he not been voted out of office before now??? It is all good and well that he is a good/great councillor for his ward and so are many within the borough (within their own wards). Seems to me that all our elected councillors are only interested in their own domains. Sorry but Hyndburn/ Accrington/ Rishton/ Great Harwood, should all be working together for the better of the voting public. Certain areas of the borough are being left to rot and it is wrong on all fronts.Would love to see a solution but whilst certain areas (and nobody looking around can say it is just ossy) are getting the majority of funding, what chance of the deprived areas got???
Time the lot of you reading this and elected to represent us pulled together but ain't holding my breath:(

I hava a feeling this is PB's last term in Office!!;)

Best Regards - Taggy!

SamF 15-08-2010 01:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 836176)
Tell you what, Mr T, you'd love the Micro Brewery Bar in Manc Market with its constantly changing selection of real ales and ciders. If they got summat like that in Accy Market, it might at least lift the atmosphere somewhat! ;)

I've lived in Manchester for 2 years now and never tried it finding it rather expensive compared to the Real Ale pubs that have(thankfully) started to pop up around town. Is it really worth it ?

I do believe Real Ale is the best way to keep the pub business alive - bottled ale just doesn't taste right, you can only get good ale in a pub.

steeljack 15-08-2010 04:50

just an observation by an interested outsider , seems to me all monies spent on the refurbishments of the Market Hall, (which from earlier posts suggest it's now becoming a "performing arts space" and a retirement piggy bank) and the Ossy Civic theatre would have been better spent on refurbishing the Old Accy Con club as a centralized and bigger Arts/Theare center to serve the whole Borough and draw in folks from neighbouring Boroughs. Have I not read in previous posts that HBC have the powers to take control of abandoned terraced properties , do the same laws not apply to abandoned commercial properties under "eminant domain" laws.
But there again , having 2 performance arts sites means having 2 sets of "Arts" consultants/site managers/cleaners etc. all on feeding on the HBC/Govt. trough .... suppose it creates employment .
yep I'm a cynic :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mick 15-08-2010 05:30

They have just spent £2m on refurbishments of the market hall and when i was in the other day there is a big notice on one of the stalls closed due to flooding due to rain water
I see they did a good job

Neil 15-08-2010 05:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 837286)

May 2014. He was re voted back in May 2010

Neil 15-08-2010 05:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 837399)
just an observation by an interested outsider , seems to me all monies spent on the refurbishments of the Market Hall, (which from earlier posts suggest it's now becoming a "performing arts space" and a retirement piggy bank) and the Ossy Civic theatre would have been better spent on refurbishing the Old Accy Con club as a centralized and bigger Arts/Theare center to serve the whole Borough and draw in folks from neighbouring Boroughs.

I don't understand why something has to be in Accrington to be classed as for the whole Borough?

The Civic Theatre needed a lot of work doing to it and this appears to be a good way to do it. Without investment it would have become another crumbling public building for people to moan about the Council neglecting. It looks like HBC are damned if they do and damned if they dont by many on here.

flashy 15-08-2010 06:50

so if they HAVE to work 6 days when do they get to go to the cash n carry for their stock?

flashy 15-08-2010 06:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 837406)
so if they HAVE to work 6 days when do they get to go to the cash n carry for their stock?

oh yeah...on their only day off, so that would be them working 7 days a week then

garinda 15-08-2010 07:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 837404)
I don't understand why something has to be in Accrington to be classed as for the whole Borough?

The Civic Theatre needed a lot of work doing to it and this appears to be a good way to do it. Without investment it would have become another crumbling public building for people to moan about the Council neglecting. It looks like HBC are damned if they do and damned if they dont my many on here.

Do you shop in the Market Hall?

I do, and therefore feel qualified to comment on the number of traders, both before and after, refurbishment.

The traders currently left have said they'll leave if forced to open six days per week, something that historically has never happened, in over a hundred years that the Market Hall has been successfully trading.

garinda 15-08-2010 07:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 837404)
my many

Is that your pet name for Cllr. Britcliffe?

Is it pronounced 'my Man-i'?

What does he call you?

:D

Neil 15-08-2010 07:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 837413)
Do you shop in the Market Hall?

Very rarely but did not comment about it.

Neil 15-08-2010 07:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 837418)
Is that your pet name for Cllr. Britcliffe?

Is it pronounced 'my Man-i'?

What does he call you?

:D

ha ha I have corrected my typo thanks for pointing it out :D

garinda 15-08-2010 07:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 837422)
ha ha I have corrected my typo thanks for pointing it out :D

Gone, but not forgotten.

;)

YouTube - Audra McDonald- My Man's Gone Now

Neil 15-08-2010 08:07

Don't be jealous I can still be your play thing as well :D:D:D

Benipete 15-08-2010 08:37

Can't see a problem,Most shops open 6 days a week.some 7 days.

Pubs 7 days a week and for a lot longer time.

lancsdave 15-08-2010 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 837435)

We open 6 days a week ( and of course being a small business usually work 8 days a week 30 hours a day :) )

The difference is we aren't forced to, it's our choice

garinda 15-08-2010 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 837435)

Choice.

For over a hundred years the Market Hall has traded sucessfully with it's current opening hours.

If forced to open six days per week, at least five businesses I spoke to yesterday said that takings wouldn't cover their rent/staffing costs, so they will just pack up and leave.

Seems a little odd, that there'll be a refurbished Market Hall, with no market traders in.

As stated, if Cllr. Britcliffe's son, the cafe owner who is spearheading the move to force six day trading, wanted to open six/seven days per week, there are plenty of empty town centre retail properties where he could have done this, without forcing others to do like wise.

cashman 15-08-2010 08:48

Thats the whole point of having yer own business! YOU decide yer business hours.

Benipete 15-08-2010 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 837438)
Thats the whole point of having yer own business! YOU decide yer business hours.

I agree with you entirely as I do with Gary when he advocates people rent their own properties and do as they please.;)

Maybe all the stall holders should get together and take a democratic vote.:alright:

We all have choices but when you work for yourself probably less than others.:(:D:D

accysimon 15-08-2010 16:04

From what I've seen of our new Market Hall, it was money not well spent. It looks deserted and seemingly, re-built just to house a new cafe...They can't force businesses to open when they don't want. Mr Britcliffe didn't necessarily work every day so why try and force others too?. By leaving no choice is reducing the rights of the individual / business. Something I am opposed to massively.

Ken Moss 16-08-2010 07:17

I'm going to visit the market hall tomorrow because I want to hear from the stall holders exactly what they think. How can it possibly be in their interests to open six days a week? Comply with our rules or ship out? Well, at least the £1m monument will take longer to decay now it's been refurbished.

Cllr Peter Britcliffe, a man who really understands people.

flashy 16-08-2010 07:32

Ken, ask them how much their rent has gone up too

Ken Moss 16-08-2010 07:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 837603)
Ken, ask them how much their rent has gone up too

Will do, Shaz.

From what I can gather, although the market hall has had a rather nice facelift it has come at a cost to the people who actually make it tick and it sounds like they could do with a louder voice in the Council chamber which is why I want to go and speak to them.

flashy 16-08-2010 07:41

good lad, it's going to be a similar situation with Blackburn when their market moves into the Mall, there will be hardly anything in there because of the rent increase

Taggy 16-08-2010 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 837608)
good lad, it's going to be a similar situation with Blackburn when their market moves into the Mall, there will be hardly anything in there because of the rent increase

Yep, smaller traders whose stalls have been in the Market for years cannot afford to move into the mall. So the likes of the Cheese stall and the Sarsaparilla Beer stall will now vanish! Moves like this destroy individuality and the small traders that Markets are the whole point of! I'm fed up going to different towns just to see exactly the same outlets in each one!

Best Regards - Taggy

flashy 16-08-2010 17:33

my dads cousin works on the Sarsaparilla stall, has done for years, i'll have to ask him what they are going to do

Taggy 16-08-2010 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 837714)
my dads cousin works on the Sarsaparilla stall, has done for years, i'll have to ask him what they are going to do

There's been a younger chap on the stall the last couple of times i've been, not the older chap wi glasses who always used to be on there, with his old Mam!

Best Regards - Taggy