Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Hyndburn's New Tourist Attraction (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/hyndburns-new-tourist-attraction-56656.html)

jaysay 04-02-2011 08:58

Re: Hyndburn's New Tourist Attraction

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 880391)
Keep your eyes open for a Hyndburn Council van going round removing all telephone cables and masts tomorrow :D

You what Dave:D HELLO, HELLO, HELLO ANYBOY THERE, BLOODY PHONES GONE DEAD:eek::eek::eek::D

jaysay 04-02-2011 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 880492)
My sentiments entirely. Red, blue or other, make your personal views known at the ballot box, it is the loudest voice we have to make our feelings of politicians known.

If you don't use the opportunity then don't moan too loudly about the state of the borough.

Totally agree on that front Ken, last general election was the first time in my life I didn't vote Tory, that was on a matter of principle, but I DID vote, or should I say registered a vote. Your also right in saying if you don't exercise your right to vote on polling day you forfeit any say in what happens afterwards. Its always surprised me that the turnout at local election very rarely hits the 50% mark, maybe in selected wards or if as last year they are on the same day as a general election, yet talking to people in the main they always say I always vote, well there are lots of people telling porkies:rolleyes:

lancsdave 04-02-2011 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 880504)
You what Dave:D HELLO, HELLO, HELLO ANYBOY THERE, BLOODY PHONES GONE DEAD:eek::eek::eek::D

The internet went down earlier bit I got a 100yrd piece of string attached to a bean tin and hung it out of the Market Hall toilet window :D

jaysay 04-02-2011 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 880512)
the internet went down earlier bit i got a 100yrd piece of string attached to a bean tin and hung it out of the market hall toilet window :d

s o s

:D:D:D

jaysay 04-02-2011 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 880524)
s o s

:D:D:D

Or maybe S O D save our Dave:D

katex 04-02-2011 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 880268)
Apparently this will save the council £10k per year.

I'm meeting with the new Town Centre manager next week to find out why the decision was made and hopefully finding some figures to support this.

Working it out pro-rata then the overall figure for 7 days opening would be £23.3333333 (recurring). Can sorta' understand this if they have heavy repair/maintenance charges at times, however, the heavier bills would still occur if only open 4 days per week, would they not ? :confused:

lancsdave 04-02-2011 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 880554)
the heavier bills would still occur if only open 4 days per week, would they not ? :confused:

The only saving they would make is electricity. As you say every other cost would still be the same, 1 day a week or 7 days a week. Even the bog roll saved would still be used in the market on the days they are closed :)

Ken Moss 04-02-2011 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 880554)
Working it out pro-rata then the overall figure for 7 days opening would be £23.3333333 (recurring). Can sorta' understand this if they have heavy repair/maintenance charges at times, however, the heavier bills would still occur if only open 4 days per week, would they not ? :confused:

I really can't see it saving that much money to be honest unless you lay someone off or reduce their hours but they're going to need someone to tend to the Market Hall toilets more often (and presumably mend the seats) so the cost will have to be offset somewhere.

Preston Town Centre has public toilets all over the place rippling out well into the suburbs. Even Lostock Hall has public facilities and it's easily quarter the size of Accrington Town Centre. As Gynn called it earlier in the thread, it's scatter bomb politics as part of a face-saving exercise to prove that the Market Hall is popular.

We're entering the endgame in an increasingly desperate electioneering campaign so expect to see some fairly wild claims of how well they're doing and generous cheques being handed out in the papers over the next two months.

Kath Pratt and Paul Barton have been getting some fairly heavy mileage out of The Regency shutters this week and Stan Horne has been knocking down a row of houses which doesn't even belong to the council.

Desperation, to be blunt.

lancsdave 04-02-2011 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 880559)
Kath Pratt and Paul Barton have been getting some fairly heavy mileage out of The Regency shutters this week and .

Wonder where that issue was brought to light first :rolleyes:

Ken Moss 04-02-2011 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 880560)
Wonder where that issue was brought to light first :rolleyes:

Wasn't it this very forum?

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/875209-post35.html

It must not have been me who sent the e-mail after all.

Still, like I keep saying we should use AccyWeb to get things done. The Leader doesn't seem to like KenWeb very much although is abreast of everything which is posted.

Time for a new thread. With elections coming up this is your chance to get all those jobs which have needed doing for years sorted out so they can go on election literature!

Rishton needs some public toilets.

(I'm serious about that, actually!)

garinda 04-02-2011 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 880564)
The Leader doesn't seem to like KenWeb very much

Perhaps he prefers Hyndburm Life, to keep abreast about what the community are concerned about.

Row flares over £591,000 spent on outdated website - Accrington Observer

What?

It's now closed down, and all the £591,000.00 of tax payers' money was therefore wasted?

Get out of here!

That would never happen.

:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 04-02-2011 18:17

PB asks 'what's the fuss'....well, Mr Britcliffe if y ou are reading this......the fuss is about having easy access to public toilets......unless of course you want to provide us all with a licence to pee in the street.

There have been toilets freely available on Peel St since the early sixties almost 50 years, yet this buffoon thinks it a good idea to close them on days that he deems 'not busy'....but bamboozles market hall traders to open on one of the days he deems 'not busy'.......is that some kind of disordered logic?

So...if it isn't busy enough to warrant the toilets open....why bother opening the market hall......?That must cost a fortune......Oh, silly me, he has the mugs....sorry I mean traders to pay rent for that.

jaysay 04-02-2011 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 880564)
Wasn't it this very forum?

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/875209-post35.html

It must not have been me who sent the e-mail after all.

Still, like I keep saying we should use AccyWeb to get things done. The Leader doesn't seem to like KenWeb very much although is abreast of everything which is posted.

Rishton needs some public toilets.

(I'm serious about that, actually!)

If thats the case Ken, maybe I won't be on the Christmas card list next year:rolleyes:;)
As for public bogs in sunny Rishton, what about a Porta-Loo in the Garden of Rishton Towers Ken:D

lancsdave 04-02-2011 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 880689)
PB asks 'what's the fuss'....well, Mr Britcliffe if y ou are reading this......the fuss is about having easy access to public toilets......unless of course you want to provide us all with a licence to pee in the street.

There have been toilets freely available on Peel St since the early sixties almost 50 years, yet this buffoon thinks it a good idea to close them on days that he deems 'not busy'....but bamboozles market hall traders to open on one of the days he deems 'not busy'.......is that some kind of disordered logic?

So...if it isn't busy enough to warrant the toilets open....why bother opening the market hall......?That must cost a fortune......Oh, silly me, he has the mugs....sorry I mean traders to pay rent for that.

ermmm since when has logic been applied to favours ? ;)

Margaret Pilkington 04-02-2011 19:04

Yes.....but there is a wink there......so you know and probably lots of others do too, but the logic is for the local press.....who wouldn't dare suggest anything so scandalous as a favour.