Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-05-2013, 13:25   #181
Beacon of light

Re: Attack on soldier in woolwich

and there I end my involvement in this thread. I have said all I want to on this subject.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-05-2013, 13:42   #182
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Attack on soldier in woolwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEaston View Post
I don't equate morals with Christianity (or any religion) because there simply is no link.

People know the difference between right and wrong and that has nothing to do with whether you believe in the sun, the sea, Thor, or more "modern" religions if they can be called that.

Religion and faith are the primary cause of war in the modern world just as they were in olden times.
I am also an atheist, however it gives me no right to belittle someone's faith, after all, I believe there is no God, I have no more proof that he/she/it doesn't exist than a devout believer has that he/she/it does exist.
Surely, the only advantage we have is we don't have to get up early to worship?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 14:27   #183
I am Banned

Quote:
I don't equate morals with Christianity (or any religion) because there simply is no link.

People know the difference between right and wrong and that has nothing to do with whether you believe in the sun, the sea, Thor, or more "modern" religions if they can be called that.

Religion and faith are the primary cause of war in the modern world just as they were in olden times.
You are being just a tad disingenuous GE, Margaret addresses the points so so well in her posts #179 & 180.
Religion has changed it's function with time over the course of human societies The original function of religion was explanation and social organisation. Origin myths like the book of Genesis are widespread to explain the universe, people and language diversity. The ancient Greeks who identified correct scientific phenomena, incorrectly invoked supernatural agents to explain sunrise, sunset, tides, winds and rain. Yes increasingly religions original explanatory role has increasingly been userped by science but you can't refute the social organisation aspects of any religion then or now within that has to be education and morals or they would have self destructed.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 14:35   #184
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Some people yeh just can't tell owt, They know it all.
Old 28-05-2013, 14:47   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Some people yeh just can't tell owt, They know it all.
I know, how many times have I told you what to think and you still insist on getting it wrong?
cashman and jaysay like this.
Old 28-05-2013, 14:56   #186
I am Banned

The so called god of the present day christian religion was invented by moses and his cohorts to keep control of the tribes of Israel.
No matter which brand of religion takes your fancy, its all about control & power of the many by the few. Its just another form of dictatorship, do as tha telld or thal fry in hell.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 14:58   #187
God Member

the only good thing about christianity is that you can say what you like about it and not be called a racist or end up in trouble with teh law.Say anything similar to what iv said today about islam or put a certain picture up on a forum and riots start all over teh world,your death demanded and possible prosecution from the law.

what a complete and utter joke

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 15:03   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

what a complete and utter joke
No it isn't the punch line is missing!
Old 28-05-2013, 15:05   #189

My moral compass didn't come from Christian teachings. I realised that was a crock just as soon as I saw the pope step out on the balcony of his self proclaimed tax free palace to see that (plus the story was just way too ludicrous to hold up to the slightest examination). Saying people "just know" must give them great comfort. Alas weak minded people need to feel that there is a point to all this.....

My kids are not brought up with a shred of religious bull but you can be sure they are well aware of the difference between right and wrong.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 15:31   #190
I am Banned

Quote:
My moral compass didn't come from Christian teachings. I realised that was a crock just as soon as I saw the pope step out on the balcony of his self proclaimed tax free palace to see that (plus the story was just way too ludicrous to hold up to the slightest examination). Saying people "just know" must give them great comfort. Alas weak minded people need to feel that there is a point to all this.....

My kids are not brought up with a shred of religious bull but you can be sure they are well aware of the difference between right and wrong.
We are meandering off the thread, but here's another one. Probably religions strongest role in early societies was that of defusing our anxiety over problems and dangers beyond our control. When people have done everything realistically within their powr, then thats when they are most likely to resort to prayers, rituals, donations to the gods, consulting oracles etc. Yes of course all those methods are scientifically innefective at producing the desired result. But by preserving the fiction and convincing ones self and peer group that we are still doing something, we arent helpless and haven't given up. People feel in charge, less anxious and able to function and make their best effort.
This function in many religions has of course decreased as societies increased their control over lifes course by governments (state) growing stronger and decreasing the frequency of violence and other dangers. By organisation the state religious or otherwise became better at reducing famines by storing and distributing food and the development of science and technology.

Whichever way you slice it all this has it's roots in organised religion GE.
Homo sapien would not be where it is today without the leg up the evolutionary and social ladder religion gave us.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 15:42   #191

Quote:

No-one gives a monkey about your religious beliefs, until you tread on their toes.
I'm sure you have brought your kids up as well as you could.

Believe or don't believe, this non existent god gave you freedom of choice NOT to believe so every time the argument is lost.
Meanwhile, we seem to be well away from the subject, which is that some poor sod was killed in his homeland by an idiot terrorist?

With or without a god, this should not be allowed.
Old 28-05-2013, 16:21   #192
God Member

Quote:

You forgot to mention oil.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 17:18   #193
Resting in Peace

Quote:
its not a matter of becoming fashionable to sneer at religion its that people have evolved and have a better understanding of how things work.Humans are no longer halfwit uneducated guilable creatures with no education that will buy any story going or worship something they dont understand.If i took a petrol lighter back in time i would most likely be dubbed teh god of fire the man who can produce fire from his finger tips.

the bible use to be called gods word but now most of the things in it are deemed a crock of crap we are told it is merely a guide to what god wants.

how convinient

you want to have an imaginary friend then fine but dont go around telling people he exists then complain when you get laughed at
Now this guy was a hot head

jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 17:33   #194
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Humans are no longer halfwit uneducated guilable creatures with no education that will buy any story going
Really? So how do you explain day time TV or some of the dross being doled out of an evening?
Barrie Yates likes this.
Old 28-05-2013, 17:42   #195
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Really? So how do you explain day time TV or some of the dross being doled out of an evening?
Didn't know you could get Jeremy Kyle in Germany Dave
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..