Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-05-2013, 08:58   #166
I am Banned

Re: Attack on soldier in woolwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Yeah, too right, and they can take those bloody Mormons with them as well, wandering the streets saying good morning to people in a cheery and enthusiastic manner!

Don't they know were they are?

When in the UK be miserable and ignore everyone you meet like the rest of us!

We don't need your misplaced optimism here.

mmm Less, imagine if J H Christ was beamed down into Accrington for the 2nd coming tomorrow. There would be posts on here "toute suite" saying " I'm not having some immigrant of middle eastern origin telling me what to do" and such like.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-05-2013, 09:02   #167
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

2nd coming on a weds? Its half day closing.
Old 28-05-2013, 09:04   #168
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
2nd coming on a weds? Its half day closing.
Not in the pubs Ol.... I am sure JC mk2 would take a leaf out of the Sally Armies book and get into those well attended churches
Old 28-05-2013, 09:37   #169
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Not in the pubs Ol.... I am sure JC mk2 would take a leaf out of the Sally Armies book and get into those well attended churches
Na Mr. D. he'd be after those pesky tax collectors round the local church
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 10:12   #170

Attack on soldier in woolwich

Not much chance of that DtotheP. Bear in mind that he was a handsome white guy with long hair, the likes of which you simply don't get in the Middle East. Also, I'm pretty sure that Accrington isn't mentioned in that particular book, in fact neither was England or anywhere in the western world.

Not sure why anyone would consider a story from ancient middle eastern theatre for the general entertainment of the public (feeding of the 5000 and other fantasies) would provide some sort of life guide 1700 years later......
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 10:14   #171
God Member

if this jesus bloke turned up in accy id take him to the local pool and ask him to walk on water again

lets see how confident he is with 2 holes in his feet

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 10:28   #172
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I'll tell you something else about these Mormons, not one of them has been prosecuted for a false claim, just shows you doesn't it, our benefit system just isn't good enough for them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEaston View Post
Not much chance of that DtotheP. Bear in mind that he was a handsome white guy with long hair, the likes of which you simply don't get in the Middle East. Also, I'm pretty sure that Accrington isn't mentioned in that particular book, in fact neither was England or anywhere in the western world.

Not sure why anyone would consider a story from ancient middle eastern theatre for the general entertainment of the public (feeding of the 5000 and other fantasies) would provide some sort of life guide 1700 years later......
Lighten up a little will you?
We now know you're an atheist, you've told us several times, no need to keep on.

Meanwhile you are wrong, Accrington has been mentioned but only in the Latin version, due to misinterpretation the name was changed to 'The Garden of Eden'.
During the industrial revolution the original apple tree was dug up and cobble stones replaced the flower borders so that it was easier to get the workers to the factories.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 10:38   #173
I am Banned

Quote:
You might not be sure GE but those teachings and life guides as you call them* give consolation and enrichment to the lives of millions of peaceful people. Fact
*teachings as in all the major religions.

Last edited by DtheP47; 28-05-2013 at 10:43.
Old 28-05-2013, 11:28   #174
Beacon of light

It somehow seems fashionable to sneer at those who have some faith/religion.

Many people are what I would call quietly 'christian'(They live their lives by christian rules)...they may not even attend organised services....you can pray anywhere(if you have a God, you are sure he will listen whether you are in some gilt decorated, plaster saint adorned church, or you humble bedroom).

These 'quietly christians' may not advertise their faith...they don't wear it like a hijab or burka..preferring to be private about their beliefs.......and whatever the sneering atheists say, they gain comfort from knowing in their heart that their faith will sustain them.
There are many of these 'quietly christians' about...you just don't see them.
jaysay and westendlass like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 11:41   #175

Attack on soldier in woolwich

I don't equate morals with Christianity (or any religion) because there simply is no link.

People know the difference between right and wrong and that has nothing to do with whether you believe in the sun, the sea, Thor, or more "modern" religions if they can be called that.

Religion and faith are the primary cause of war in the modern world just as they were in olden times.
accyman likes this.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 11:56   #176
God Member

its not a matter of becoming fashionable to sneer at religion its that people have evolved and have a better understanding of how things work.Humans are no longer halfwit uneducated guilable creatures with no education that will buy any story going or worship something they dont understand.If i took a petrol lighter back in time i would most likely be dubbed teh god of fire the man who can produce fire from his finger tips.

the bible use to be called gods word but now most of the things in it are deemed a crock of crap we are told it is merely a guide to what god wants.

how convinient

you want to have an imaginary friend then fine but dont go around telling people he exists then complain when you get laughed at

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 12:20   #177
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
If i took a petrol lighter back in time i would most likely be dubbed teh god of fire the man who can produce fire from his finger tips.
A bit like the inflamation coming from your fingertips now accyman via your keyboard eh?
Old 28-05-2013, 13:13   #178
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
its not a matter of becoming fashionable to sneer at religion its that people have evolved and have a better understanding of how things work.Humans are no longer halfwit uneducated guilable creatures with no education that will buy any story going or worship something they dont understand.If i took a petrol lighter back in time i would most likely be dubbed teh god of fire the man who can produce fire from his finger tips.

the bible use to be called gods word but now most of the things in it are deemed a crock of crap we are told it is merely a guide to what god wants.

how convinient

you want to have an imaginary friend then fine but dont go around telling people he exists then complain when you get laughed at
You do not have to be gullible or uneducated to have a belief..or faith in what you might sneeringly call 'an imaginary friend'.
I know lots of very well educated people who have their own quiet belief.
Faith is called 'faith' because it is an unquestioning belief in something that you cannot prove, something you cannot see, something you cannot touch.
Old 28-05-2013, 13:21   #179
Beacon of light

Quote:
I don't equate morals with Christianity (or any religion) because there simply is no link.

People know the difference between right and wrong and that has nothing to do with whether you believe in the sun, the sea, Thor, or more "modern" religions if they can be called that.

Religion and faith are the primary cause of war in the modern world just as they were in olden times.
So where do you think morals and ethics evolved from?
Do you think the ability to differentiate right and wrong is an inborn trait?

Way back in the mists of time, education was provided to children from monks of all denominations. They were the ones with the books, the ones who could read. They were the ones who formed society and of course the morals and ethics of society.
If you have the honour of teaching a child, then you have great influence over what that child will think when he comes to maturity(I say he, mainly because it was only boys who were educated).
So while you may not equate the ability to determine right and wrong from faith teachings, it undoubtedly had an effect.
(I say this most respectfully).
Old 28-05-2013, 13:24   #180
Beacon of light

War is primarily about greed, territory and dominance.Religion has nothing to do with war...it is men who have justified war and used religion as the justification.

Cavemen made war against one another...we just do not know if they cited religion as the reason, as there is no written documentation to interpret/misinterpret.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..