Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011, 21:03   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Everybody's Out of Step.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Whatever the rights and wrongs of Cameron's actions, the fact is that our position in the EU has fundamentally changed forever. If we're in a minority of one, then what's the point of being in at all, handing over obscene amounts of money to an organisation which we have no say over? I reckon we should pull out, but, unlike Graham Jones, Bernard Dawson, Claytonender et al, I don't want to impose my will on the British people. I'm quite happy to have a referendum and abide by the outcome. Bring it on!
Exactly,whats just happened is the best possible reason to have one. imho
Old 09-12-2011, 21:11   #32
God Member

Heard today on CBC radio, that some leading economists in Iceland are seriously suggesting that Iceland adopt a new currency: the Canadian Dollar They argue that the loonie would fit Iceland because both countries have resource based economies ... and it is backed by a political and ecomomic stability they don't see in Europe.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 21:16   #33
Beacon of light

I think what has happened in Brussels weakens the case for not having a referendum now.........and I think there are some heavyweight guys in the tory party who are putting their weight behind the cries that a referendum should be called.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 21:51   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I think what has happened in Brussels weakens the case for not having a referendum now.........and I think there are some heavyweight guys in the tory party who are putting their weight behind the cries that a referendum should be called.
I quite agree n whilst i would love a referendum, i do think one would give em a get outa jail free card................ when europe goes arse up,they can then blame the british public.
Old 09-12-2011, 22:19   #35
God Member

Quote:
I've just been reading about the "eurosceptics" ... maybe the referendum is getting closer; perhaps it's on the way to becoming an inevitability. The referendum vote will be a hard fought one ... thing is, I can see the Labour party doing the wrong thing, just in order to score points against the tories
Old 09-12-2011, 22:21   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I've just been reading about the "eurosceptics" ... maybe the referendum is getting closer; perhaps it's on the way to becoming an inevitability. The referendum vote will be a hard fought one ... thing is, I can see the Labour party doing the wrong thing, just in order to score points against the tories
Labour have already done the wrong thing in my view Eric.
Old 10-12-2011, 00:23   #37
God Member

Quote:
If there is any referendum on complete exit from the EU then it's a safe bet that the Tories will campaign for a no vote..labour and he lib-dems will do the same ..what do mean when you say Labour will do the wrong thing?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 00:37   #38
God Member

The reality of what happend at this summit is that Cameron had no choice other than pull out of any treaty change in the EU..he was between the rock and a hard place..the hard place being some of his right wing backbence and the rock being the promise of a referendum on any treaty change.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:45   #39
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I quite agree n whilst i would love a referendum, i do think one would give em a get outa jail free card................ when europe goes arse up,they can then blame the british public.
Anyone with any sense at all could see that this has been a train crash of a thing.....with no decisive leaders in the United States of Europe....no one prepared to grasp the nettle, all of them looking out for their own interests above the need for someone to step in and save something that they believe to be sacrosanct.

It has nothing to do with the British public....every time they have asked for a bigger hand out haven't we been there with an open purse.

It has to do with the vanity and pride of the two big players...the ones who would take the sovereignty of all the other nations and throw it in the bin.....France(Sarkozy - ain't fit to be a teacosy) and Germany(with that dumpling Angela Merkel).

Something like 3 months ago they, and we were told that there was just a six week time frame to save Europe from crashing.......and here we are twelve weeks down the line....what are they doing? Talking.....talking when they should be acting.
They say that Talk is cheap.......I think that pretty soon they are going to realise that it isn't cheap at all.

I don't think that there is one politician in Europe who knows how this mess can be sorted.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 10-12-2011 at 06:51.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:50   #40
Beacon of light

The Eu has to take a large part of the blame too....in 14 years that I know of they haven't had a budget audited and ratified....if this was a business it would have gone belly up years ago.
There are two major problems with the EU.......1) it is corrupt - spends member countries money like water.
2) it is too big to control adequately - too much complex legislation....but having said that its' legisaltion isn't followed with the same conscientiousness by all member states.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:16   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
The Eu has to take a large part of the blame too....in 14 years that I know of they haven't had a budget audited and ratified....if this was a business it would have gone belly up years ago.
There are two major problems with the EU.......1) it is corrupt - spends member countries money like water.
2) it is too big to control adequately - too much complex legislation....but having said that its' legisaltion isn't followed with the same conscientiousness by all member states.
Whilst I applaud David Cameron's determination and refusal to bow to pressure from bully boy Sarkosy and Commandant Merkel, the one thing I now worry about is these monthly meetings that will be held of the 26 countries that have signed up to the agreement.

They will be taking important financial decisions affecting the UK - and the UK will not be there.

A bit like going to the shops and leaving yourself logged into Facebook. Who knows who will frape you while you're out!

gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:38   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
The reality of what happend at this summit is that Cameron had no choice other than pull out of any treaty change in the EU..he was between the rock and a hard place..the hard place being some of his right wing backbence and the rock being the promise of a referendum on any treaty change.
Sums it up well, none of em want a referendum,including Labour.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:23   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
If there is any referendum on complete exit from the EU then it's a safe bet that the Tories will campaign for a no vote..labour and he lib-dems will do the same ..what do mean when you say Labour will do the wrong thing?
Maybe, for several reasons, expected better, or at least different from Labour.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:37   #44
JFT96

I really doubt Labour would have done anything, they had 12 years and seemed to agree on anything the EU proposed. So now we would be tied into them financially just waiting to bail out Franc or Germany. As I said Norway does very well without being in the EU as does Switzerland

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:40   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Maybe, for several reasons, expected better, or at least different from Labour.
Why, its another station on the gravy train after they leave westminster, after all the Kinnocks did quite well in retirement didn't they

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..