Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2011, 15:24   #91
Resting in Peace

Re: Everybody's Out of Step.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
According to what I have read this is the first time that Britain has used its veto.
As I said, it is always good to have someone you can blame for the ills of the Eurozone....but when all is said and done....it was never a good idea, the single currency....and it hasn't been about trading partnerships/conditions for such a long time now(it is all about politics,power the Great United states of Europe)...it is just that France and Germany do not wish to own up to that fact....they will hock themselves and their people into the ground, rather than decide that the experiment failed.

Yes, I think our bed is going to have a few French and German made lumps in it for quite a while to come.
I think Margaret used the veto quite a lot when she had europe by the throat
Old 11-12-2011, 15:27   #92
God Member

Just noted this in The Telegraph..

"Mr Varadkar, Fine Gael transport minister in Dublin's coalition cabinet, said the UK's decision to veto the EU deal was disappointing but warned events would were likely overtake eurozone leaders in the coming weeks.

"I suspect events will overtake us over the next few weeks," he told national broadcaster RTE Radio One"

Perhaps not telling us anything that we don't already know, but still...

Varadkar. Good old fashioned Irish name that, eh!
Old 11-12-2011, 15:37   #93
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Just noted this in The Telegraph..

"Mr Varadkar, Fine Gael transport minister in Dublin's coalition cabinet, said the UK's decision to veto the EU deal was disappointing but warned events would were likely overtake eurozone leaders in the coming weeks.

"I suspect events will overtake us over the next few weeks," he told national broadcaster RTE Radio One"

Perhaps not telling us anything that we don't already know, but still...

Varadkar. Good old fashioned Irish name that, eh!
Sounds like one of them poles Bob
Old 11-12-2011, 15:38   #94
God Member

From the land of the depraved and the free...

"In early August, Congress just avoided default by raising the country's $14.3 trillion debt ceiling. As part of that deal, $900m in cuts were agreed on and a committee established to find another $1.2 trillion of savings by the end of November. Failure to do so would trigger automatic cuts in government spending, including the Pentagon. A day before the Thanksgiving holiday, the committee's 12 members admitted they couldn't agree.
The Pentagon is now facing a $500m (£319m) cut to its own budget from the start of 2013." (Telegraph)

How do we stop the cuts soldier?
Sir, start a war, Sir!
Well done soldier, America will be proud of you.
Old 11-12-2011, 15:57   #95
God Member

Quote:

Can somebody email me some Prozac.....PLEASE!
Can offer some Prosecco - as an alternative panacea of the masses!

(Actually I'd really recommend a decent Francia-corta...or failing that a Cą de Frati Lugana from Lake Garda!))

Get a case in for the party
Attached Images
File Type: png prosecco.png (7.9 KB, 0 views)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 11-12-2011 at 15:58. Reason: Capital letters..
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 15:59   #96
God Member

Quote:
From the land of the depraved and the free..

How do we stop the cuts soldier?
Sir, start a war, Sir!
Well done soldier, America will be proud of you.
I do wish you'd stop mentioning the big "W" word though....

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 16:22   #97
God Member

Actually, I've never been a fan of white wine, always seen it as too much of a girly thing. I used to be quite fond of a rich red Cote du Rhone, mixed with a half of Benelin, smashing stuff. Now I'm usually quite happy to curl myself around a bottle of gin, the drier the better.

Ok, just for you, no more 'W' word, promise.
Old 11-12-2011, 17:32   #98
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think Margaret used the veto quite a lot when she had europe by the throat
I think you will find , Jaysay , that the veto has been used by only two people , Charles de Gaulle and David Cameron .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 17:43   #99
Beacon of light

That is what I read too JCB....and that David Cameron is the first British PM to use it.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 17:56   #100
Give, give, give member

I usually think he's a bit of a prat, but Christopher Hitchens makes some interesting points, about the fiasco we're seeing unfold before out eyes in Europe.

EU summit victory? Not while we're in the clutches of Angela Merkel's giant vampire squid | Mail Online

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 18:14   #101
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
I think you will find , Jaysay , that the veto has been used by only two people , Charles de Gaulle and David Cameron .
I think you will find JCB, that jaysay likes to dream.
Old 11-12-2011, 18:14   #102
Beacon of light

Don't we buy more from the EU than we sell to them?
Does that not mean they can hiss, spit and boo all they like.....they need us more than we need them.
Isn't it time Parlaiament sat down and decided that the EU have no hold over us anymore....and that we were not going to be bound(some would say hidebound) by their petty regulations anymore....and in real terms what could Brussels do about it?

I hope that this latest summit, where DC seems to have grown a pair(of ears that is) is not going to be just a damp squib....and that at some point in the future he isn't going to be browbeaten by the lily livered Lib Dems into backing down.

Can the 26 memebers of the EU who were too scared witless to vote against M&S not see what they are doing?
Was it all a ploy to demonise the British so that when it all goes belly up....as most people in the know, think it will - and very soon, that M&S will have a hook on which to hang the blame.

Can't they see that all the meetings in the world to address the deficit in the PIIGS were nothing more than window dressing.
The only real solution(which should have been grasped months ago) was to ditch the eurozone and break up the EU....it will never work because there are too many people who do not wish to have closer political and fiscal ties with France and Germany while they call all the shsots, make all the rules for other members to adhere to....or else.
Old 11-12-2011, 18:21   #103
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
That is what I read too JCB....and that David Cameron is the first British PM to use it.
It may be my cynicism , but I don't think David Cameron had any intention of reaching an agreement .

He knew what the EU issue did to the government led by John Major .

He realised that the Conservative Euro-sceptics were becoming increasingly fractious .

My prediction for 2012 is that David Cameron will call a General Election based on the fact that he stuck two fingers up to the EU , something which he knew would go down well with most of the British electorate , and that we will have a majority Conservative government .

Whether these party political shenanigans will be beneficial for the country is something we will have to await and see .
Old 11-12-2011, 18:26   #104
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I think you will find JCB, that jaysay likes to dream.
It's good to dream and fantasise , Cashman .

I've just done it on # 103 .

Beautiful Dreamers .
Old 11-12-2011, 18:28   #105
Beacon of light

I don't think it is cynical at all JCB.

I think you are right. DC made a calculated move. He can't be unaware of the unrest in the country with regards to the feeling about the monster that is the EU.

I feel that he knew that his actions might force his hand, and although he was saying that there would be no IN/OUT referendum, he can use the current situation as an excuse to change his mind.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..