Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2004, 16:02   #46
Resident Waffler

Re: Forbidden Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747
agree Sparkologist, I have been deducted 4 karma points while Kipax was arguing with "yerself"
Doesn't this imply that someone other than pikax and yerself was doing the karma pilfering whilst those two were having a heated debate?

Getting back to the real point of this thread though isn't it downright silly to conclude that Baa Baa Black Sheep is racist? It's simply a fact of sheep. Some are white, some are black, some are mottled shades of brown. Some around here are a very mucky grey. But they are SHEEP and nothing at all to do with races of people. Sheep don't seem to bother one way or the other what colour other sheep are.

It's the same with blackboards/whiteboards. They are not racial. They are flippin boards on walls for writing on. Some are black and we write on them with chalk. Some are white and we write on them with marker pens. How on earth did racism ever ccome into that? Did anyone ever imply that a blackboard was any better or worse than a white board? And even if they did and even if they were would that mean there was any connection with the colour of a person's skin? It's insane.

I have friends who are brown skinned (no, they are not black any more than I am white. They are brown and I am pink) and don't seem to mind chalking on a blackboard. One of the children had a gollywog as a young child too. I never thought of gollies as human. To me they were alongside teddy bears as just something loveable and cuddly.

As a Christian should I be careful not to celebrate Christian festivals which may upset my non-Christian neighbours? It's funny isn't it that I actually receive Christmas cards from some of them and they would think I was being strange if I didn't send them one.

Did anyone really object to shops having Christmas displays in their windows? Does it really hurt anyone else if one group of the population chooses to display part of their heritage?

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 25-07-2004 at 16:15.
Accrington Web
Old 25-07-2004, 16:09   #47
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Doesn't this imply that someone other than pikax and yerself was doing the karma pilfering whilst those two were having a heated debate?
What, You mean somebody playing God......
Old 25-07-2004, 16:17   #48

Check out your karma and ability to give karma.
You can only give karma once to the same person whether good or bad for a period of time, i'm not sure the details but it is a minimum of 24hrs. So if your loosing karma fast your upsetting lots of people it can not possibly be 1 person.

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
Old 25-07-2004, 16:26   #49
Resident Waffler

How much karma can a person add or subtract in one go? I know someone could add two at once because she told me she had done so, but it seems that I can only add one to each person.

Old 25-07-2004, 16:27   #50
God Member

Everyone agrees renaming things has got to the silly stage... Why is everyone asking the same question over and over again... ?

Is there anyone who maybe disagrees that changing the names of things for fear of upsetting people has got to a silly stage?

No....? well thats that unless someone else wants to ask the same question in the same thread about it being wrong

Or am I missing something?
Old 25-07-2004, 16:27   #51
Resident Waffler

Also I don't think 24 hours comes into it because it's days since I added karma to anyone but I've just been told I can't give it to the same person until I have given it to a few other people.

Old 25-07-2004, 16:38   #52

Ye gods and little fishes! The man asked a perfectly sensible question hoping for response from anyone who actually is offended by these non-PC terms and you lot wander hither and yon like the lost tribes of Israel.

I could choose to be offended by BigMikDick as my eldest son is half German (his late mother was German) and we still have living relatives in Germany. Do I demand political correctness and insist that Mik should not be permitted to use a term such as "Krautland"? If someone across the channel wishes to call me "Monsieur RosBif" do I take offence? No, we Brits are made of sterner stuff, and so I dare say are most of the people we claim to be protecting with our anti-racist laws which in my humble opinion merely serve to incite that very thing they claim to avoid.

If anyone saw the documentary on the BNP you will understand what I mean. We are dangerously close to a far more serious problem than whether or not we can refer to a gentleman from the Indian subcontinent who once had a stall on Accrington market as "Paccy Ali" - incidentally I never did receive a reply to that question.
Old 25-07-2004, 16:53   #53
Resident Waffler

Didn't Paccy Ali used to call himself that? It's a long time since he had that stall.

Old 25-07-2004, 17:16   #54
God Member

Sigh... again so theres nobody who is offended... so why are you all asking the same question.. No ones answered the orignal saying they are offended. No one has jumped in to say they are offended... Yet here you are still asking the same question..

The answer would seem to be a resounding.. No one is offended... But I bet some pillock comes on in a minute in this very thread and asks the same question ... deary deary me
Old 25-07-2004, 17:21   #55
Resident Waffler

I think that's probably the whole point. No-one is offended so why do we have to try so hard not to offend them? That can end up being the thing which offends.

Old 25-07-2004, 17:22   #56
Always EVIL within us

Thank you gobsmacked for referring back to my original questions and making an imput. It can be fun going off at tangents.......as long as someone brings the original subject up now and again.
There are racist laws but surely that does not include black puddings and blackboards? There should be distinctions between outright racism and tongue-in-cheek comments that have always been used in the English (sorry) UK Language.

I will refer again also to my original comment re: nigger! Why is it ok for certain people to say it (and have it broadcasted on radio) but for others there will be a backlash if they mention that word in public? WHO IS MAKING THESE BOUNDARIES?

Last edited by Busman747; 25-07-2004 at 17:24. Reason: MISSED OUT CLOSED WOTSIT
Old 25-07-2004, 17:24   #57
God Member

Good manners perhaps? Also what do you mean try so hard?...is changing a word you use really so hard? How many times in the last year have you wanted to say spotted dick? or any of the other words your up in arms about

Mountains and mole hills if you ask me.
Old 25-07-2004, 17:28   #58
God Member

Busman when was the last time you wanted to use that word in conversation? are you really that bothered ?

Just asking politely Try not to get as upset as you did when I asked you the point of the question.. you went well over the top after I asked that....Try taking it as a honest question and not some form of insult..
Old 25-07-2004, 17:33   #59
Always EVIL within us

Kipax, I don't mean to offend but your comments come over as very negative. I understand what you say, yes you can go to the centre of Accie and shout "black pudding" at the top of your voice without being arrested (unless you are looking directly at a coloured person when you do it) but this chat revolves around pressure from unknown groups that are so powerful that large companies like Tesco and Sainsbury are sitting up and listening and changing their policies to please...but to please who?
Old 25-07-2004, 17:45   #60
God Member

Quote:
Kipax, I don't mean to offend
perahps if you refrain from calling me names then I wont be.. I havent called you names or made any attacks on you

Surely the example you give (tesco, sainsbury) are to please themselves... As stated earlier..if it effects sales then they will change it. sales is the bee all and end all.

I am not being negative other than in the sense that it seems pointless... Its probably some bloke in a little office somewhere being paid disgusting amounts of money to come up with words to change to make poloticians look like they care..

Some words as you say can be offensive in one use and not in another.. But also some words become more offensive over the years.. the example I gave "Spastic" was once a registered charity and a word for an illness... its now been removed and is just an insult and the spastic society rebranded.. because of its widespread use as an insult.

the P word to describe asians is short for the country and no different from jock or taff... but historically it has been used more to offend.... even as early as the 70s when skinheads roamed the streets..they went p***i bashing not pommi bashing or taffy bashing...

I find the n***** word you use as an example so offending that i wont type it... yet my kids listen to music that contain it and one of my favoroute actors uses it a lot in his films (samual l jackson) and it sounds right in the context used..

Its different things for different people and someone out there with his/her own values has the job of deciding which gets changed.... you could always apply for his job..

What a booring world it would be if we all felt the same way.... but we cant all make the rules.. someone has and you dont like it.. but for every rule you dont like.. someone will....

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..