Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-07-2004, 21:50   #1
Always EVIL within us

Exclamation Forbidden Subject

Over the past few weeks there has been animosity over "taboo" words that have been described as "racist!" I have kept a low profile during this time but would now like to bring the subject up if the moderaters will allow. This will not! be a platform for those that want to express their racial feelings ....but I am seeking answers that may clarify what is / is not racist.

I am a great fan of RAP and in particular 50cent and other members of the D12. In their songs, they refer to each other as "niggers." I find this distasteful but it is perfectly acceptable for them because of the colour of their skin.........so am I being racist if I mention that word?

It is very un-PC to tell "irish jokes" yet many irish comedians are famed for doing just that!

We are told to address people from Pakistan and India as "Asian".... but considering the unrest between these two countries, I cannot believe that they would like to be "bundled" up together in one label. I am sure that each would like to be identified by the country they come from!.....and why not? If you are Scottish, you would not find it offensive to be addressed as a "Scot" (or maybe you would, let me know) but many Scots would find it offensive to be called British as some prefer to disassociate themselves from the "UK"

Do our friends from "over the water" object to being called a "yank?" The Australians call the Brits "Pommies" Am I to take offence at that? and if I do, would ANYONE give a sh** about my protest? NO!!!

That is because this country is so "PC" it is the laughing stock of the rest of the world!

This thread is not anti-black/yellow/purple or any other colour! I would like an input from any Asian (Ooops) Afro/Carobean, White, European, or any other nationality to say if they feel threatened by what the rest of the world calls them

I have only recently moved to Accie and was both surprised and pleased to find that the Indian/Pakistani residents have intergrated into the community and have become part of it. (It is still quite novel and pleasing to go into a "corner shop" and have an elderly Indian lady, complete with sari address me in a broad Lancashire accent!)

Can we have an input from the "minority" please?
Accrington Web
Old 23-07-2004, 21:55   #2
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!
Re: [B]Forbidden Subject[/B]

You will be very lucky to get a response from the mods, usually your post or thread just disappears without warning leaving you to wonder what the problem was, but haven't we asked this question before in a previous thread?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Old 23-07-2004, 22:07   #3
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Although I am not part of a minority, I have to agree here. I had no qualms about being called a pommie when I was in New Zealand, they didn't have a problem with being called kiwi. The term Asian can cover a wide area, including Chinese, Fillipino, Thai, Malaysian etc. I work with a lady from Kuala Lumpur who does not like being classified as Asian, she is Malaysian. I agree that some of our Indian and Pakistani communities here do not like to be confused with each other. They are, after all still at war in their homelands.

I am not one for calling somebody a name which would offend them, but I really do think that some aspects of political correctness have gone way too far. An example of this would be a blackboard now being called a chalkboard. The most ridiculous one is the pudding 'spotted dick' is now referred to as 'college pie' at work. I still insist on calling it by its original name whenever I ask for it..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
Old 23-07-2004, 22:20   #4
Always EVIL within us

Haven't come across the "spotted dick" one before, Are all the "Richards" in the world up in arms about it? Thank you Lettie, this is a good example of the rubbish given out by the PC clan. WELL! Are any "Richards" OFFENDED?
Old 23-07-2004, 22:31   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I don't know why they've done it Busman, all I know is that the 'spotted dick' thing has not only changed its name in the NHS but also the Police force (so I'm led to believe.) There are probably other places that have done it too. I wonder what other things people have come across that has had a name change due to the over zealous PC brigade.
As posted earlier, I don't believe that we should be saying things to offend, but some of the most seemingly inoffensive things have been re-named, and quite honestly I'm struggling to keep up.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
Old 23-07-2004, 22:39   #6
God Member

Its not a new thing though is it... The golly thing was a very long time ago. Everyone knows the worlds gone mad.. but theres nowt tha can do about it
Old 23-07-2004, 22:40   #7
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
The most ridiculous one is the pudding 'spotted dick' is now referred to as 'college pie' at work. I still insist on calling it by its original name whenever I ask for it:
What the hell is wrong with these idiots, I love my 'spotted dick' it’s part of our culture, I don't think that the term could cause anyone any offence what so ever.
Old 23-07-2004, 22:48   #8
God Member

i doubt spotted dick was changed because it caused anyone called richard offence.. that would be wierd.. More than likely at the time it was changed there would have been another reason......

spastic there was a spastic society blah blah.. they had to change the name because the word had become used more as an insult over the years.. so the perfectly normal word used by charities and doctors blah blah was taken away and left solely as an insult..
Old 23-07-2004, 23:03   #9
Always EVIL within us

Lettie, You mentioned the police force, What about "IC1/2/3?" to denote the tone of skin or ethnic origin when looking for or describing suspects over the radio? They are ok to say tall/short/fat (ouch, I am not exactly thin so can I consider myself insulted?) but can they still use code to announce the colour of skin?
Old 23-07-2004, 23:04   #10
Always EVIL within us

ok Kipax, great theory, but can you think of another reason?
Old 23-07-2004, 23:06   #11
Always EVIL within us

do you know the saying "Richard Cranium" Perhaps that will be banned by those faceless minority pc lovers.
Old 23-07-2004, 23:13   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747
ok Kipax, great theory, but can you think of another reason?

Insults of have got worse over the years.. words that used to be used as insults are no longer used.... When I was at school the word "dick" could be used far more offensivly than it can now. People will laugh but I am talking along long time ago (sigh)

My point is.. meaning of words change.. what we sit and wonder about now...was once offensive... some of these where changes years ago... Does anyone know how long ago spotted dick or golly was changed?
Old 23-07-2004, 23:16   #13
God Member

Found ths... It appears your PC brigade accusations are a load of old thingies

Quote:
It seems the British pudding with the saucy name has been the butt of one too many sniggers. We're talking of course about Spotted Dick.

Apparently sales of the traditional dish have been deflating according to a survey by the British grocery chain TESCO. It claims that folks are just too darn shy to ask for it by name. So they've been skipping the dessert altogether.
Old 23-07-2004, 23:27   #14
Always EVIL within us

Thumbs down Re: [B]Forbidden Subject[/B]

ok, dick = penis, we all know that but 50 years ago, saucy seaside cards were a source of titilation but now are so tame that most people don't give them a second glance, surely we are not heading back to the Victorian times are we?
Old 23-07-2004, 23:29   #15
Always EVIL within us

but lets get back to subject.......I am still waiting for a reply from someone from the ethnic minority to give their opinions of their countries "slang name"
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..