Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2004, 19:26   #61
Senior Member+

Re: Forbidden Subject

When all said and done it boils down to respecting other peoples beliefs and feelings.Anybody not doing that is basically a rascist????
Old 25-07-2004, 19:27   #62
God Member

For an explanation of the phenomena of 'Political Correctness', readers may wish to have a look at this:

http://www.ourcivilisation.com/pc.htm

It says it all, I think.
Old 25-07-2004, 19:36   #63
Senior Member+

Stuff Political Correctness.Its what is inside a person that counts.People being nice to your face and then slagging your nationality and beliefs off behind your back.Well that is what i mean.Its a feeling and respesct you give but should give naturally
Old 25-07-2004, 19:43   #64
God Member

For those of us who are determined to defend 'Political Correctness', bear this in mind:

>>The philosopher Steven Pinker coined the phrase 'the euphemism treadmill' to describe the process in which euphemistic neologisms acquire all the negative associations of the words they were coined to replace.<<

Source:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapir-Whorf_Hypothesis

For the sake of clarity, a euphemistic neologism is a new word created to subsitute for an existing word considered too harsh or offensive.
Old 25-07-2004, 20:16   #65
God Member

Quote:
For those of us who are determined to defend 'Political Correctness', bear this in mind:
i cant find one single person on this forum defending whats being talked about...

just people posting exactly the same point about it being wrong and out of hand..

its a one sided fight that your all jumping into... the points been made that its wrong and out of hand and no one is arguing it..in fact everyone is agreeing it.... yet still you all flock to try and prove the point that no one is arguing... now even to the point that bob here is aiming his posts just specificly at those that dont agree..... there is no one bob! we all agree.. hehehehe

its dead funny
Old 25-07-2004, 22:52   #66
mez
God Member

didnt you know that black boards are now called white boards//
Old 25-07-2004, 22:59   #67
Resident Waffler

No, white boards are actually white. They are shiny and you write on them with a special kind of marker pen. The new Springhill School has interactive white boards instead of blackboards. (not sure if they are up and running properly yet tho)

Old 25-07-2004, 23:01   #68
mez
God Member

yea i know but they had to replace the blackboards didnt they, we did it a few yrs ago at work
Old 25-07-2004, 23:04   #69
God Member

Sooon a big touch screen monitor will replace both boards.. then what will you al complain about? .....
Old 25-07-2004, 23:08   #70
mez
God Member

nothing he he ahh wot a life eh//
Old 25-07-2004, 23:37   #71
Always EVIL within us

OK, Kipax,
Firstly in reply to your "contribution" to this thread, WHAT NAMES HAVE I CALLED YOU? I notice that many have "accidentally" got your name wrong and called you "pickax" That is not my doing but you do chip away at the original question on most of the threads that you contribute to!
Your words "it seems pointless!" is what I mean when I say you are so negative. If you feel that it is pointless to discuss this, go and start a new thread discussing your bloody football team!! THAT is pointless! (but only in my opinion, many may join you in discussing football) Good, I will not join in for the same reason that you should not join this discussion........because I am not interested!!

I notice that you are scared of putting in the word "nigger" even though it is used on a regular basis by the Afro- Carrobean and the youngsters of today including your kids!.....but you are quite happy to "insult?" the Scots and Welsh by mentioning "jock" and "taff" THIS IS MY POINT!!! I ask the question "Who dictates what we say .. and What is insulting? You have illustrated it perfectly (but I doubt that you can appreciate that!

Yes, You will accuse me of insulting you, but every time you type a comment on my subject, you are trying to close me and my thread down!! I am interested in the views of others around the world as regards to what is acceptable or not and if you cannot make a worthwhile contribution, I suggest that you go and annoy someone else!!

If you still cannot see the point of my thread, then you have gone down in my estimation. If there are any who agree with Tipax, just take away my Karma! I feel that I have made a valid contribution to the forum but if you disagree.........what the hell!
Old 25-07-2004, 23:41   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I think that's probably the whole point. No-one is offended so why do we have to try so hard not to offend them? That can end up being the thing which offends.
Well said Willow.
Old 25-07-2004, 23:46   #73

Further to Busman's post here Kipax, what gives you the right to assume it is less offensive to insult a Scot or a Welshman than a black person of African origin? "Nigger" is derived from the word "negro" which itself literally means black. It is simply a matter of the language used. The Spanish word for black is "negro" (as in "Rio Negro") However, it is perfectly acceptable, nay required, that we use the term "black" and yet offensive if we use the term "negro". Is that very fact in itself not offensive to Spanish speaking peoples?
Old 25-07-2004, 23:51   #74
Always EVIL within us

Thank you "Big Mick" You are right in saying that it is respecting other peoples beliefs but there is an underlying current that says you must not comment on races or colour because "big brother" will drag you out of bed at 3am and you will "disapear" (sorry about the spelling) I like your comment about "What is inside a person!" THAT IS IMPORTANT!
Old 25-07-2004, 23:56   #75

I think you've hit the nail squarely on the head there. Racism is surely about belittling people because of their racial origins, not about making an observation about differences.

If I say all black people have brown eyes is that a racist statement? Personally I would say not. It is merely a statement of fact.
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..