Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree392Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2016, 09:31   #316
Beacon of light

Re: Labour Party

Well, then he has let his election go to his head and divert him from the purpose for which he was elected.....which, to me, is calculated and this makes him unacceptable as a representative of the people of Hyndburn
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-08-2016, 09:44   #317
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Well, then he has let his election go to his head and divert him from the purpose for which he was elected.....which, to me, is calculated and this makes him unacceptable as a representative of the people of Hyndburn
That is my view also, though i'm disappointed yeh assumed i contacted him when he was on council.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:54   #318
Beacon of light

Sorry I disappointed you Cashy
It might be because my couple of years might be longer than your couple of years Cashy(everyone knows that a womans five minutes might mean an hour)....and when all is said and done that is what he is there to do...help constituents individually, but also to accurately represent the whole area who elected him....he just has not done that.

I am more disappointed that I voted for someone who seemed to be a decent chap and found that I had failed to suss out that he was as unreliable as the rest of the politicians. Won't happen again.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 12-08-2016 at 09:58.
Old 12-08-2016, 15:12   #319
Senior Member+

I'm of the same opinion as you Margaret.
I remember attending a meeting with Bernard Dawson when he first introduced GJ as a new Councillor and though he would make a decent representative for my area.
I've now changed my mind and if he stands as Labour MP for Hyndburn at the next election I will be looking at other candidates to represent me. That's if I'm still living there,
He's made for life now whatever the outcome so why should he be worried about my opinion.
Old 12-08-2016, 20:53   #320

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

You could not make it up..

There's an attempted coup by the Parlaimentary Labour Party..people pay good money to join the party to make their feelings known, i.e. the PLP DO NOT represent us

So..

The PLP manouevres a change to the rules and says that anyone who joins after a certain date cannot vote...UNLESS you pay an increased amount of Ł25 within a certain timeframe.

Jones encourages people to pay the Ł25 and vote for Owen Whatsisface

The people who joined earlier challenge this in a court of law and win....the PLP then spends donated money to appeal..and win (kinda like they want a second referendum because the law and the people are not agreeing with their ideas)

Outcome..anyone who joined the labour party this year, except those who could afford to pay Ł25 cannot vote for the leader...party of the people my buttock!

Anyone who votes for Jones is a complete and utter mushroom. Just like Owen Whatsiface who has managed to make a complete and utter fool of himself in both of the hustings to date!
Old 12-08-2016, 22:45   #321
Senior Member+

I understand that the case may be taken to the Supreme Court. I do hope that new members are allowed to vote and that OW gets stuffed - perhaps that will persuade GJ to fall on his sword.
Old 13-08-2016, 09:10   #322
Senior Member+

is this Owen J a relation of Grahsm J?
I'm not really upto date in politics nowadays
Old 13-08-2016, 09:16   #323
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
is this Owen J a relation of Grahsm J?
I'm not really upto date in politics nowadays
No Russell, the contender for the leadership is a welshman named Owen Smith.
Prior to this contest i think many of us would not know him from a hole in the road...and having listened to some of his proposals a hole in the road would have more uses(you could push Owen Smith into it - if it was large enough).

The current situation with the Labour party is just ridiculous and it is doing so much harm to the party and its integrity.
Whatever the outcome, Labour is, in my estimation, irreparably damaged.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 13-08-2016, 10:03   #324
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Have to agree sadly Margaret, for me Labour is "FINISHED" in my lifetime at the very least, and Graham Jones has been a big contributor to the fact, imho.
odders and Gremlin like this.
Old 13-08-2016, 10:19   #325
Senior Member+

I agree with you both, Margaret and cashman but where do we go from here?
What's the option?
Old 13-08-2016, 10:46   #326
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Well Gremlin, i know for fact i will NEVER vote for ANY of those Vipers, so my option is very limited,Will have to see if anythings available when the time comes. not holding me breath though.its more a case of suck it and see for me.
Barrie Yates likes this.
Old 13-08-2016, 11:30   #327
Beacon of light

like Cashy, i think that the Labour party as it stands is finished. I think it has become too hard left.
I don't like what Tony Blair did to the Labour party, but what is happening right now is at the other end of the scale......the electorate has shown that it does not care for these extremes.

I am not sure what the solution is. If the party splits, it means that two parties emerge from one. This is not good for democracy as the votes have to be shared between another faction. This usually means that the ruling party does not really have a majority.
It might have a majority of the people who voted but if the vote is split three ways and Party A get 34% of the vote Party B gets 32% of the vote and party C gets 33% of the vote......65% 0f the electorate voted for someone other than the elected party.
This is not good for a democratic process because most of the electorate got something for which they did not vote.

This fact is something that escapes many people.
The only solution to that thorny question is Proportional representation. This was put forward a few years ago and was tossed out as being too hard for the electorate to understand.
It was felt that too many folk would be confused by this process.

It really does need the wisdom of Job to sort it out.
But there is one thing that you can be sure of...all this internal wrangling in the Labour party must be making the tories rub their hands in glee.
Old 13-08-2016, 19:17   #328
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Remember roots?
No I don't mean the series about a black man tracing his history through slavery.
Though if you think about it that is what it is.
The roots of the labour party were to protect workers against bosses that employed folk on starvation wages, the people that started 'the party' fought against, poverty, prejudice, and downright evil being done against the innocent.
Can someone give me an example of where this still applies?

Last edited by Less; 13-08-2016 at 19:19.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 19:25   #329
Beacon of light

There isn't one Less.
Less likes this.
Old 14-08-2016, 14:34   #330

disaster that was the NHS and Nationalisation. They both became hideaways for lazy incompetents abetted by bent Labour polititions and shop stewards. I never figured out how they turned up rich when they were roughly on the same wage as me (shift work and overtime).
I then worked out that the sensible path was to rely on the other lot, at least I knew the were in it for themselves but a bit would trickle down to me.
Labour have never truly supported the working man, if they had it would be a party of equity where All workers including bosses would be roughly equal, that situation has now been exaggerated and we have the obscene differentials outside the Boardroom. Labour have no intention of changing this because that's where they plan to be.
I'm running out of steam now but I hope you get my drift.
I much prefer Communism but they turned out even more bent how did They all get rich
hilleluk likes this.
umpire is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..