Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 17:16   #1021

Re: Legalise "Illegal" Drugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Yeh! and some?

Watch this video clip - the real reason Cannabis is illegal...

Will you please stop the sodding you tube/internet research!!!!!!!!!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-03-2012, 17:21   #1022
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
He is beyond redemption, he won't stop until an overdose sets in, we've had them before, we'll get them again.
Eventually he'll wear himself out or come on so stoned he won't know what he was banned for.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 17:25   #1023

Quote:
Can I ask why ?
Wrighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 17:31   #1024
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Can I ask why ?
How about ' Because his posts and this thread became boring about 800 posts ago'?

I believe it takes two doctors to confirm insanity in a patient. Kestrelx can do it with two posts!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 17:36   #1025
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Can I ask why ?
Must admit, after the first few Utube examples he put on, I don't open them anymore, so let him post away, it's keeping the silly sod entertained.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 17:43   #1026

Quote:
Can I ask why ?
Because internet research has it's place, but you can find anything on there to meet your argument. To have any credibility the research needs to be much broader, otherwise it's flawed. It should add to your evidence and not be the only source.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 17:54   #1027
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Nasty piece of work you are! You have stated that "there is no debate on legalising illegal drugs - that no one should take drugs for recreational purposes!" But what about alcohol and tobacco which kill 1,000's of people per year!

New research shows Internet effects young brains like Cocaine!

Internet Addiction Can Change Your Brain Like A Cocaine Addiction - Business Insider
This thread is about and I quote Legalise "Illegal Drugs" yet even though it was you who started the thread, you are the one who is prepared to wander down other avenues, if you want to discuss drinking and Smoking start another thread, mind you they say the mind tends to wonder through constant substance abuse, which is quite obvious in your case
Old 11-03-2012, 18:26   #1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
This thread is about and I quote Legalise "Illegal Drugs" yet even though it was you who started the thread, you are the one who is prepared to wander down other avenues, if you want to discuss drinking and Smoking start another thread, mind you they say the mind tends to wonder through constant substance abuse, which is quite obvious in your case
i like the way people stick so strictly to the thread name when given a question they don't want to answer.

Just answer the question if its not ok for people to take drugs for kicks why is it ok with alcohol and cigarettes.

As the video I posted shows helping drug users and not criminalising them works.
Old 12-03-2012, 00:02   #1029
Senior Member+

Quote:

No ones asking that you in person read it or comment!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:16   #1030
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiasfc View Post
i like the way people stick so strictly to the thread name when given a question they don't want to answer.

Just answer the question if its not ok for people to take drugs for kicks why is it ok with alcohol and cigarettes.

As the video I posted shows helping drug users and not criminalising them works.
Proof that banning drugs causes more harm?

Mephedrone is now used by more people than before being banned.

The price has also gone up from £10:00 a gram to £25:00 a gram!

Also researchers say the quality has gone down as the price has gone up. Which means users may be getting substances that are more harmful!

Mephedrone more popular since being banned ? survey | Society | The Observer

Moves to criminalise the new wave of synthetic drugs, known as legal highs, appear to have backfired after it emerged that mephedrone is now more popular among clubbers than when it was not banned.
Confirmation comes in a survey of London club-goers carried out by researchers at Lancaster University and Guy's and St Thomas' NHS foundation trust. Published on Monday in the Journal of Substance Use, it assesses the impact of the classification of mephedrone as a class B drug.
The survey builds on earlier work, conducted one evening in July 2010, three months after the drug was made illegal, which found the popularity of mephedrone had surpassed that of all other drugs, with 27% of people questioned in two gay-friendly south London dance clubs reporting that they had or were going to take it that night.
The results of the follow-up study, conducted at the same two clubs in July 2011, found mephedrone had become even more popular. On the night the study was conducted, 41% of club-goers said they had taken or intended to take mephedrone that night.
Gay club-goers are seen as "early adopters" of psychoactive drugs so the researchers claim the findings are likely to have implications for the wider population in the future. "Our first study indicated club-goers appeared undeterred by the legal classification of this emergent psychoactive substance, but it was taken very soon after the ban so we felt it was important to test the results by repeating the study 12 months later," said Dr Fiona Measham, senior lecturer in criminology at Lancaster University.
"Since we carried out our first study the purity of mephedrone has fallen, the price has risen, yet the results of our second study showed both use and popularity had increased in the year since the ban.
"The results of our two studies showed that not only were club-goers undeterred by the change in law, but the drug had in fact increased in popularity among our sample."
The trade in the illicit drug, also known as m-cat or meow, is lucrative, with one dealer in the north-west reputedly running a £500,000-a-week operation. The drug is manufactured in China and posted to the UK in kilo packages, according to drugs experts, who fear customs cannot keep up with the trade.
Anecdotal evidence suggests a sub-section of heroin users are now choosing to inject mephedrone, which is usually taken in powder form and snorted like cocaine.
The popularity of mephedrone, which produces a mild sense of euphoria but has been blamed for paranoia, heart palpitations, insomnia and memory problems, has led to price increases. A gram of the synthetic drug costs around £25 now compared with around £20 a year ago. Prior to the ban it cost £10 a gram. Its increased popularity is thought to be partly the result of the falling quality of cocaine, which costs around £40 a gram but is mixed with other agents so is only about 25% pure.
"These findings question the consequences, if not the intentions, of a drug policy that focuses primarily on banning a drug and presuming that legislation will result in a reduction in supply and demand," Measham said.
The survey found the dance drug GHB – also known as GBL – was the second most popular drug among clubbers, with 24% of those questioned saying they intended to take it that night. Of 309 people questioned, 17% said they would be taking cocaine, while 16% said they would use cannabis.
"Our survey results show there is a need to ensure a more targeted approach to reducing the use of novel psychoactive substances such as mephedrone and that this should not just simply focus on controlling the substances," said Dr David Wood, a consultant clinical toxicologist at Guy's and St Thomas'..

The survey comes as the government seeks advice from the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs on whether to issue a temporary ban on methoxetamine, a new substance being sold as "safe ketamine".
"You can't hold back the floodgates in terms of these white powders," Measham said. "We need to find alternative ways of dealing with this issue."
Two drugs awareness groups, the Amy Winehouse Foundation and the Angelus Foundation, are now calling for drug and alcohol education to be made compulsory as part of the national curriculum.
The two groups have launched a petition that could trigger a debate in parliament on the issue. The petition can be found at: epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/30280
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:48   #1031
Senior Member+

Quote:
Because internet research has it's place, but you can find anything on there to meet your argument. To have any credibility the research needs to be much broader, otherwise it's flawed. It should add to your evidence and not be the only source.
Does this not work both ways?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:57   #1032
Senior Member+

Would you all agree though that the current laws don't seem to be working.

I never seem to get a reply when I mention Decriminalisation of cannabis, which is my thoughts as I do not agree with legalisation.
Old 12-03-2012, 18:05   #1033
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Would you all agree though that the current laws don't seem to be working.

I never seem to get a reply when I mention Decriminalisation of cannabis, which is my thoughts as I do not agree with legalisation.
Tough
Old 12-03-2012, 18:13   #1034
God Member

I admit that a few times in the past few weeks I have taken paracetemol to relieve headaches cause by stress and noise. That is not like me, who avoids pharmacuticals like the plague!

I have had brief encounters with natural 'grass' cannabis in the distant past and know how calm and relaxed it made me.

If it had been legal I would use it now to help me cope with this 'rough patch'.
It is less damaging than painkillers and anti depressants.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 18:45   #1035
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCardinal View Post
MargaretR,

May I suggest that the only real cure for your 'rough patch' is either a good brand of sandpaper or a period of penitence, fasting and regular contributions.
Um welcome to accy web, rather an inane post about a person you obviously don't now, and seem to care even less

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..