Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2013, 15:26   #181
Beacon of light

Re: MPs Pay Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I was talking about normal people who are MP's, the sort of MP's most of us would like to see as MP's. Take things like this away and you will only have those with plenty of money and who see being an MP as a second job left. Is that what you want?
Normal people who are MP's stop being normal people because of their exposure to the different lifestyle in parliament.....and I would guess(I have no evidence) they would have made friends in high places...and they would not be unemployed and signing on the way that you or I would be.
In life, it is very often who you know, not what you know, or what you can do that swings the deal.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-07-2013, 15:30   #182
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Normal people who are MP's stop being normal people because of their exposure to the different lifestyle in parliament.....and I would guess(I have no evidence) they would have made friends in high places...and they would not be unemployed and signing on the way that you or I would be.
In life, it is very often who you know, not what you know, or what you can do that swings the deal.
More so now than its ever been, Its who yeh know.
Old 08-07-2013, 15:30   #183
Beacon of light

what I want for an MP is someone who will be true to their electorate...you know, those people who put a cross against his name believing him to have the best interests of my community at the heart of what is being done. Not someone who when the leader say 'Jump'...he hops up and asks ' how high, and how long should I stay up?'
I want a person with integrity. Not one who is on the make(and the take)...but looking at the current state of our political system, it seems that my expectations are far too high.
Old 08-07-2013, 16:57   #184
Super Moderator

Quote:
what I want for an MP is someone who will be true to their electorate...you know, those people who put a cross against his name believing him to have the best interests of my community at the heart of what is being done. Not someone who when the leader say 'Jump'...he hops up and asks ' how high, and how long should I stay up?'
I want a person with integrity. Not one who is on the make(and the take)...but looking at the current state of our political system, it seems that my expectations are far too high.
The only time I've ever lived in a constituency where the MP was like that was when I lived in Hyndburn and the late Ken Hargreaves was in office. He went the extra mile for me when I was sorting out my missus's UK residency with the Home Office. And when his government were introducing the poll tax, he defied the party whip and voted against it, because he knew it would harm his constituents. To my mind, Tory or not, he was an outstanding local MP.
Less and cashman like this.
Old 08-07-2013, 17:02   #185
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I can't find the amount either but it would only be a 1/10 of a full pension
So, you are of the same school as our MP?

Making a guesstimate?

His was saying 95% of folk can't be trusted to vote for or against the EU, how far out is your statement?

I can neither prove nor disprove it.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 17:22   #186
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
So, you are of the same school as our MP?

Making a guesstimate?

His was saying 95% of folk can't be trusted to vote for or against the EU, how far out is your statement?

I can neither prove nor disprove it.
I read they can chose to pay at a rate of 1/40 1/50 or 1/60. I guessed at the middle because it worked out nicely for 5 years at 1/50th but I think he would be better on the 1/40.

I don't know what age an MP can draw his/her pension but the sooner you draw it the less you usually get
Old 08-07-2013, 18:05   #187
God Member

Quote:
I can't find the amount either but it would only be a 1/10 of a full pension

garinda found it i think it was around 40 grand a year

if you cant live off that then tough luck jack

even if only a mesely 30 grand a year its pretty good money for sitting around on your arse ..

what MPs seem to want is keeping in the life style they have become used to like they are some ill-done woman settling a divorce

sorry MPs your days of handouts shoudl be opver teh day you loose an election and if you dont liek that then dont put yourself forward for teh job and let somone who ISNT in it for teh money have a go

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 19:37   #188
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
garinda found it i think it was around 40 grand a year
Never heard of him, did he post often?

Maybe he can come back and post it again
Old 08-07-2013, 19:40   #189
God Member

i think you need to say his name 3 times into a mirror

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:47   #190
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
The only time I've ever lived in a constituency where the MP was like that was when I lived in Hyndburn and the late Ken Hargreaves was in office. He went the extra mile for me when I was sorting out my missus's UK residency with the Home Office. And when his government were introducing the poll tax, he defied the party whip and voted against it, because he knew it would harm his constituents. To my mind, Tory or not, he was an outstanding local MP.
That was then Wyn.
There can be few MP's in the current clan who could live up to this man.
When Ken was in politics it was a whole different ball game.
People went into it to make a difference, rather than having their eye on the main chance and feathering their own nest.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:23   #191
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Even back then Margaret, Most M.P.s were just as they are now, Leader says Jump,they said How High, One difference now is us oiks find out much more, Think one reason is the Media aint as servile as back then, another reason is the good old W.W.W.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:12   #192
Resting in Peace

Quote:
if a MP cant afford to keep their child in private education as an example after loosing an election then maybe they should have thought about that before putting their child in private education.

MPs should consider what they may have to return to if they loose their job when taking on financial burdens

they should also consider how much they lie to their local folk because they may one day find themselves back amongst us

there was a mp on panaorama not long ago who betrayed the lifeforce of his own town for cash fr questions id hate to be him if he looses his position and has to go home
I don't think Private schools will apply to MPs for places like Hyndburn though accyman, will they
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:23   #193
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
i think you need to say his name 3 times into a mirror
The thought of his mush appearing in the mirror is too scary to try it
Old 09-07-2013, 10:24   #194
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
That was then Wyn.
There can be few MP's in the current clan who could live up to this man.
When Ken was in politics it was a whole different ball game.
People went into it to make a difference, rather than having their eye on the main chance and feathering their own nest.
I don't agree, they were the same as now and just like then we have good, not so good and bad MP's now
Old 09-07-2013, 10:53   #195
Senior Member+

I saw this yesterday -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat-before-after-election.jpg (27.3 KB, 12 views)
jaysay likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..