Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2008, 17:12   #211

Re: Police Probe Vote Rigging Complaints

Any wrong doings by Asians is never excepted by there own. They always try and twist any wrong doing.(Theres a ship rigged ready in the harbour ) Roger whitaker song
Gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-09-2008, 17:26   #212
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Of, as Mani said earlier, both pot and kettle are as black as each other that doesn't give me much confidence in voting for anyone in this Ward in future. No wonder nothing ever gets done if it's all this petty squabbling. It's worse than "The House of Cards".
I think you're right to be skeptical. However I have just done jury service with a 'he says, she says' and the only way to get to the truth is to have it all out in the open. It's not pleasant and it is frustrating. That's my belief. As any barrister would say, its not how you got there, but where you ended up that is important.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 17:53   #213
God Member

Graham I think you looked bad today on the front page of the Observer. Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and accept the result, even if it doesn't match your theory. You can't win every battle.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 17:56   #214
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
The difference being some councillors want it to be investigated by the police and say no more, others jump the gun and scream fraud.

Have you been privy to some more information, since your post on the second of June?

Then you said, and I quote, 'Having now read the article it is nice to see our public officials acting responsibly and not accusing electoral fraud publicly before an investigation is finished.'

You certainly made no mention of anyone jumping on the bandwagon, and screaming fraud.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 19:04   #215
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Have you been privy to some more information, since your post on the second of June?

Then you said, and I quote, 'Having now read the article it is nice to see our public officials acting responsibly and not accusing electoral fraud publicly before an investigation is finished.'

You certainly made no mention of anyone jumping on the bandwagon, and screaming fraud.
The article I had read and was referring to was this one: Cops probe vote rig complaints - News - Accrington Observer

My comment was made as a sarcastic remark.
Old 12-09-2008, 20:11   #216
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Graham I think you looked bad today on the front page of the Observer.
Didn't think my photo was that bad!!!!!! Obviously I'll have to get down to boots in the morning for some fresh make up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and accept the result, even if it doesn't match your theory. You can't win every battle.
There is no theory. Significant changes in proxy voting can only be put down to fraud. There was an impersonal debate not naming anyone (As the Ob reported and AndrewB applauded at the time), until Allah Dad launched himself into the 'I am the victim mode', whilst ironically around the back making allegations about the other 2 candidates. First of all Labour when he thought they would win, then the LibDems when he thought they would win.

Blazey and Bernadette. I find your position quite difficult now. 'Calling for apologies' and asking people to 'lead by example' puts all the pressure on Allah Dad and The Conservatives to apologise to Tariq Ali for all the allegations they made.

I believe no-one should be apologising. Fraud took place. It was reported correctly. There was an investigation in which the Police couldn't find the evidence that is out there. It's a failure by those guilty to come forward and the Police for failing to gather the evidence.
Old 12-09-2008, 20:21   #217
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Didn't think my photo was that bad!!!!!! Obviously I'll have to get down to boots in the morning for some fresh make up!!

There is no theory. Significant changes in proxy voting can only be put down to fraud. There was an impersonal debate not naming anyone (As the Ob reported and AndrewB applauded at the time), until Allah Dad launched himself into the 'I am the victim mode', whilst ironically around the back making allegations about the other 2 candidates. First of all Labour when he thought they would win, then the LibDems when he thought they would win.

Blazey and Bernadette. I find your position quite difficult now. 'Calling for apologies' and asking people to 'lead by example' puts all the pressure on Allah Dad and The Conservatives to apologise to Tariq Ali for all the allegations they made.

I believe no-one should be apologising. Fraud took place. It was reported correctly. There was an investigation in which the Police couldn't find the evidence that is out there. It's a failure by those guilty to come forward and the Police for failing to gather the evidence.
Hello and welcome back.

Hope you enjoyed your jury service....you'll know all about 'he says, she says' with you being involved in local politics, won't you?

A police investigation has declared that no fraud took place. I think that means it's over and done with. No point going on about it.
Old 12-09-2008, 20:28   #218
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
A police investigation has declared that no fraud took place. I think that means it's over and done with. No point going on about it.
The Police could not find anyone willing to come forward. No-one ever said there was no-evidence or no fraud.

Every reason why this should be brought up. Its the fourth election where it has happened. I hope you will come out with me and condemn the cheats.

After next week it should die down.
Old 12-09-2008, 20:51   #219
God Member

Quote:
The Police could not find anyone willing to come forward. No-one ever said there was no-evidence or no fraud.

Every reason why this should be brought up. Its the fourth election where it has happened. I hope you will come out with me and condemn the cheats.

After next week it should die down.
The way the Observer put it was that there was no evidence of irregularities. That was after a police investigation so will have to be accepted.
Old 13-09-2008, 09:01   #220
God Member

no smoke without fire comes to mind..cyfr and blazey trying to play the party line with local politics when they dont know what they are talking about
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 09:10   #221
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Significant changes in proxy voting can only be put down to fraud.
There are 2 ways of looking at that.

1. Fraud took place.

2. More people are deciding to vote that way as it is easier for them if they work / are on holiday / ill health etc.

I really do hope number 2 is what happened because I would hate to think anything illegal did go on.

I suspect the next election will show an even higher number of proxy votes.
Old 13-09-2008, 09:12   #222
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Graham, please can you explain exactly what proxy voting is and why it is used. I think I know but would like to be sure so I can then understand how it can be abused.
Old 13-09-2008, 09:19   #223
God Member

When darwendosser and I lived together, I was given proxy voting rights for him because he was a long distance lorry driver and was likely to be away from home on voting day

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 09:45   #224
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Graham, please can you explain exactly what proxy voting is and why it is used. I think I know but would like to be sure so I can then understand how it can be abused.
There is an explanation of proxy voting here, Neil.

Voting by proxy - About my vote, produced by The Electoral Commission

Proxy voting is when you can nominate someone else to go to the polling station and vote on your behalf if you are unable to attend yourself. One of the reasons is that you might be on holiday but there is a list of reasons in the link.
Old 13-09-2008, 10:06   #225
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Its quite easy really Neil, you give some one else the right to cast a vote on your behalf, at the polling station, you can even have a postal proxy, or you could? Needless to say I would note be asking Graham to stand proxy for me

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..