Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2005, 07:02   #121
Senior Member+

Re: Schoolgirl wins dress case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
I’m not a racist Bagpuss. I’m happy to embrace anyone of any colour, religion or culture, but when these people come to this country they should respect our pre goody, goody lets be gay, multi cultural bull**** political correctness laws. Respect our 1800 year old Christian Culture. Our People, and traditions and Heritage. Enoch Powell was out of step and before is time. Where is he now and who in British Anglo Saxon politics has the balls to stand up and lead where he left off.
Exactley Doug, if i was to live abroad i too would respect the ways and laws of the country.If you do not like it instead of complaining then begger off were you come from. Everyone's loyalties should lie with the country they are living in.
Old 06-03-2005, 18:09   #122
Beacon of light

How is it that in France the muslim girls are not permitted to wear the hijab(headscarf) to school. Do they have a different set of human rights laws????
The jilbab is a purely cultural form of dress.....in Bangladesh where Shabina Begum's family originate from most women do not even wear a headscarf.
In Turkey muslim girls are not allowed to wear full islamic dress in schools.
In truth there is no pan-Islamic dress code, although those who encouraged Shabina to take this course of action would like there to be. We are becoming so tied up on the tenets of Islam so that the only people who seem to get heard are the extremists......and that is a worry!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 18:30   #123
IMY

YES that is true whenever any type of extremist group, member, team or even individual does something or tries to do something everyones knows about it but when other who are tryin to better the country do it it is never heard or even written about...

i do feel that people and groups do take advantage to the max of this and get away with it aswell without the government even saying anything in the process.

if you do go to any country you should try to "fit" in as best as you can and if things dont work out you go else where or move back to where you came from if it is possible
IMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 19:49   #124
Senior Member+

It's bad enough that the government says nothing.

What really takes the biscuit is the premier's spouse actually having an active part in the process

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 19:54   #125

I honestly think that Cherie Blair will seriously harm the Labour party's image come the next election.
If we had an opposition party of any worth the labour luvvies would be sent packing!
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 19:57   #126

Cherie must be awesome in the sack though! She must be for her hubby to let her get away with stunts like this.
Old 07-03-2005, 18:47   #127
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

[QUOTE=-pixie]Cherie must be awesome in the sack though! She must be for her hubby to let her get away with stunts like this.[/QUO

ewww the thought!!!!!
Old 07-03-2005, 19:30   #128
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -pixie
Cherie must be awesome in the sack though! She must be for her hubby to let her get away with stunts like this.
Maybe its stunts like this that gets him off. I would think that they do use a sack in the sack to keep all there cock ups in. lol, sorry....

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 19:34   #129
Give, give, give member

Is having a big mouth anything to do with it?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 19:39   #130
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Is having a big mouth anything to do with it?
Kinky........

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 19:52   #131

The French have it right in my view,they say school is not there for teaching what children should or not believe in and are cecular,that is down to the parents at home to teach them,all I'll add is that in the future schools could end up a battle ground for groups out to push their own thoughts on other kids,school is'nt the right place and should be cecular.

wayneyboy1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:17   #132
God Member

I agree that the state education system should be secular, and the national curriculum should be modified to replace religious education with Ethics. For parent's who want their children to have a religious dimension to their education there is always the option of sending them to either a church funded school or indoctrinating them at home.

I also think that the Church of England should be Disestablished. How can it be accepatable that the bishops of what is fast becoming a minority religion should have a right to sit in the House of Lords and modify legislation which afffects everyone, whether they are Anglican or not? By the same token, how can it be right that the Archbishop of Canterbury should be chosen not by his fellow bishops but by the Prime Minister exercising the Royal Prerogative?

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 08-03-2005 at 07:24.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:37   #133
Resident Waffler

You could look at Religious Education from two different perspectives. Either teach the subject as you would any other part of the school curriculum and cover a wide variety of world religions (which tends to happen anyway as far as my children have experienced) or teach them ethical and moral standards. It could be argued that the parents should be doing the latter at home but sadly in some cases some parents don't seem to have been taught any themselves.

I do agree that it's about time the C of E stopped having such a privileged position in the country and the connection between it and politics has become more than incongruous. Are there any figures (oh how I hate statistics) regarding actual (active as opposed to nominal) membership of the C of E compared to other denominations and religions?

Maybe some of Prince Charles' problems could be solved if he started his own church and got married there? If Henry VIII could do it why can't he?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:19   #134
God Member

In the UK, Church membership and attendance are declining relatively rapidly. Church membership figures for the UK show 6.7 million church members in 1990, 17.3% of the Christian population, with 4.4 million church attenders. In 1995, the number of church members had declined to 6.4 million (16.8% of the Christian population), with 4.0 million attenders. Projections for the year 2000 give 5.9 million members (15.6% of the Christian population) with 3.8 million attenders. (Source : World Churches Handbook / Christian Research)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..