Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2005, 21:21   #16
Resident Waffler

Re: Schoolgirl wins dress case

At one time you never saw them here in the full black-cover-all-and-everything with just a tiny slit for eyes but now there seems to be more and more of them. I can't help but feel this isn't so much what the girls themselve swant as making a political statement against the non-muslim world. If this (England/Christianity) is such a terrible culture to be part of then why live here? I wouldn't choose to live somewhere where I was so opposed to the culture and way of live of the native inhabitants. There are a great many muslims who manage to live quite happily without the jihab.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-03-2005, 21:37   #17
Senior Member+

If it was about Religious Freedom then the girl should be going to an all muslim school as they do in the middle east, she should never be allowed out without her brother, father or uncle and she should never look at a man. As for TV complete no no, as are video games and other forms of stimulation. I noticed on the news (CNN) That she was carring a handbag definate NO NO as she wouldnt need one, no makeup or purse as she cant spend money without permission. Seems like a farce or maybe just another muslim con job.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 21:46   #18
I am Banned

if we ever become the minority does anyone here actualy believe they would show us the same consideration

i think not
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 22:16   #19
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Justed watched this story on the news, biggest pile of sh*te i've heard in years, I for one will not go down without a fight than let us become the minority, now i've got that off my chest I feel better.
And for the record the BNP have just got one more vote.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 22:24   #20
Passed away 25-11-09

I lived for a while in Saudi Arabia in the 80s. In the compound where we lived I could wear what I liked. When I went outside the compound I had to cover my arms and legs and to visit the souk I had to wear an abeyah, the long black cloak. I did not have any choice in the matter, it was the Law.

Saudi Arabia professes to respect all religions but, although cards and decorations were on sale at Christmas, the cards only said Happy Holiday because the word Christmas was forbidden, as was Easter and anything else connected with Christianity. I knew a lot of Christian Lebanese. They had an "underground" priest (an engineer in his day job) who said mass illicitly in private homes. Had he been discovered he would have been deported.

I have respect for all Faiths and I would not like my country to treat other religions in that way but I am angered by the way other Faiths are promoted way beyond our traditional Christianity. I believe any schoolgirl, schoolboy, worker or whatever should have to conform to British dress standards for the sake of Health and Safety at the very least. There are occasions when flowing garments are an impediment. I also believe that the promotion of separateness, as typified by traditional modes of dress, is creating a divided nation. This girl would be no less a good Muslim if she wore a school uniform; faith is contained in the heart and mind, not in what we wear.

Just for the record, I don't speak as a biased Christian, Jew or Hindu. I have no religious affinity of my own.
Old 02-03-2005, 22:47   #21
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
Justed watched this story on the news, biggest pile of sh*te i've heard in years, I for one will not go down without a fight than let us become the minority, now i've got that off my chest I feel better.
And for the record the BNP have just got one more vote.
I'm not to sure about the BNP; I think there is a deferent lack of back bone in all the main line party’s, and there is certainly no democratic choice between them or in Britain other than the likes of the BNP or that idiot that come from UKIP, another national disappointment. I was heartened in my resolve today when following this diabolical the British Government injected another s*** load of tax payers money into Afghanistan, I accept they’ve done it to try and combat the poppy trade but I’m almost certain that the last lot of cash paid for the seed in the first place. I so pleased that the children of the British Serviceman that lost their lives over there are seeing what they actually paid for. An increase in narcotics on British Streets including our own. I hope those Muslims who have gone to the trouble of integrating themselves into our society aren’t offended by what they read in this thread, I’m sure that’s not our intention, but you are out there please understand we are a proud people who have suffered many years of very inapt leadership. There’s no longer any respect for the British in my opinion thanks to the ****s that represent us and our county. Thank God with can trust in those who serve in the armed forces to defend us.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 23:51   #22
I am Banned

just seen the footage on the tv of her coming out of court

smug little bitch needs to worry about her lessons and not about what she is allowed to wear.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 07:45   #23
Resident Waffler

There's a slight danger here of going from one extreme to another.

I see no reason why a girl or woman shouldn't be allowed to cover the parts of her body which modesty and her religion dictate should be covered. In our church we have a particular dress standard which means that our girls don't wear short skirts, backless dresses or off the shoulder numbers. What they do wear however doesn't make them stand out glaringly obviously in a crowd, it just has a little more material in it than what some other people have. That doesn't mean we have any objection to other people dressing as they wish either.

I can't see why a muslim girl shouldn't be able to cover the parts of her body she wishes to cover (which is a bit more than our girls as it's all the legs and arms) without it having to be flowing material which may endanger them in certain situations. (Isadora Duncan suddenly came to mind then.)

If I went to a country where the usual form of dress included a bare midriff for instance I wouldn't want to adopt that dress style because it wouldn't comply with my own standards so I can quite understand the wish not to adopt the usual style of western dress with short sleeves and short skirts, but I think I would try to find some kind of happy medium which didn't compromise my dress standards. Does that make sense?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 07:58   #24
Give, give, give member

A cleaner in a school in London took her employer to court recently, because there were nude life drawings displayed in the Art room she was expected to clean. As a Muslim she was offended by this. Happily this time she didn't win.
Incidently she would have been offended by a clothed figure, as you can't show any living thing in Muslim art. They used to draw birds on tiles but if you look closely their throats are cut!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:04   #25
God Member

How can it be right to maintain that a school has a right to impose a uniform code while at the same time maintaining that pupils have a right to disregard it. It makes not one jot of sense.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:09   #26
Give, give, give member

Like other people have said, modern school uniforms,[ inc. her school,] allows her to fulfil her religous beleifs.
Don't know if she was backed, and by whom, but spoke quite eloquently after she won. A great advert for a British education!

Old 03-03-2005, 08:13   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H
When in the Uk they should do as we do, behind closed doors they can do as they like.
If I should ever want to go in a mosque they would want me to take off my shoes, would they let me in if I refused?
NICE POINT

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:19   #28
God Member

And while we are at it, how come France get's away with banning muslim girls from wearing headscarves in school? They signed up to exactly the same Human Rights legislation as we did.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:48   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
And while we are at it, how come France get's away with banning muslim girls from wearing headscarves in school? They signed up to exactly the same Human Rights legislation as we did.
probably got less do goOders in france A-B.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:54   #30
Give, give, give member

I think thats true Slinky. They are much more protective of their national identity. For instance they only allow a small amount of American films to be released to protect their film industry.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..