Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2008, 21:53   #46
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Suspended for drinking... shandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Cheers, Less, but you haven't seen me after a few beers!

...talking of which, I believe that the town centre streets, like this school, operate a zero tolerance policy on alcohol - ie if you're caught drinking it, you're liable for a fine. Does anybody seriously think that if you walked down Broadway, swigging a can of shandy, you'd have your collar felt?
About time too, I'm sick to death of these shandy louts!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-01-2008, 21:54   #47
God Member

simple, should be like my kids school, no fizzy drinks allowed at all

SORTED

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 21:56   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Cheers, Less, but you haven't seen me after a few beers!

...talking of which, I believe that the town centre streets, like this school, operate a zero tolerance policy on alcohol - ie if you're caught drinking it, you're liable for a fine. Does anybody seriously think that if you walked down Broadway, swigging a can of shandy, you'd have your collar felt?
Maybe, maybe not. That's a different story to rules in school though.
Old 28-01-2008, 22:01   #49
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I think the parallels Gayle drew are good. A child wouldn't be allowed to carry a light knife or smoke a light cigarette in school so why would they be allowed to drink a light shandy?

Rules are there for a reason
You're seriously comparing a soft drink to knives and cigarettes???

And yes, rules are there for a rule...this particular rule is to stop pupils bringing drinks which have the potential to intoxicate into school. Shandy does NOT have the potential to intoxicate!
Old 28-01-2008, 22:01   #50
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well thats me with this, reminds me of a thing me nan used to say. YOU CANNOT PUT SENSE,WHERE THERE IS NONE.
Old 28-01-2008, 22:02   #51
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
No it isn't, rules is rules if we obey one and disregard the other we are on a steep slope to anakkey, erm, anarchery, erm, a narky, erm, Oh, what the hell you know what I mean, and if you don't you should have paid more attention at school instead of gettin' peesed on shandy.

(My school when I called in on the odd occasion used to sell cans of shandy at break time, finally I have someone to blame for how I've turned out).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 22:02   #52
God Member

i remember i used to buy shandy when i was ickle...i used to think i was 'well ard'
Old 28-01-2008, 22:06   #53

Imagine having to deal with this head teacher, Miss Wilson , on a matter of importance.
Old 28-01-2008, 22:06   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well thats me with this, reminds me of a thing me nan used to say. YOU CANNOT PUT SENSE,WHERE THERE IS NONE.
Wise woman, your nan.
Old 28-01-2008, 22:07   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Imagine having to deal with this head teacher, Miss Wilson , on a matter of importance.
Something important like the upholding of school rules.
Old 28-01-2008, 22:08   #56
Super Moderator

Quote:
MAYBE???...do you honestly think there's a chance you'd be prosecuted for drinking a non-licensed drink in an alcohol prohibited area?

And, no, it's not "a different story". You wouldn't be prosecuted for drinking a shandy in a no-alcohol zone because it's officially classified as a non-alcoholic drink. So, I would imagine that most people would think that there was no problem in sending their child to school with the same drink.
Old 28-01-2008, 22:17   #57
Resident Waffler

From reading the story I don't believe the mother has a problem at all with the school rules at all. I do not believe she set out to flaunt the rules. She didn't send her son to school with a bottle of WKD or even a can of lager. The can of shandy he was drinking is classed by everyone BUT that school as a can of pop. It's on sale in butty shops alongside the Coke and Sprite. No child would ever be refused buying it with the reasoning that it's alcohol. It has less alcohol content than an antiseptic wipe!

If the school was going to make a fuss about this particular drink in addition to alcoholic drinks then the sensible approach would have been a quiet word with the lad and his mother asking him not to bring it again.

As most of you know I do not drink alcohol as part of my religious beliefs and I personally would avoid purchasing this drink because it does contain a small amount of real beer. But the relevant word there is 'small' and even I don't think I would get drunk off it if I accidentally drank some in mistake for a non-alcoholic lager shandy or something. (If such a thing exists.)

However, having said that I still believe the school has acted stupidly in this case and there are far more serious things for them to be concerned about than a non alcoholic shandy which can be bought at the corner shop by infants.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 22:19   #58

Quote:
Something important like the upholding of school rules.
People are put into positions of responsibility, supposedly, because they have a modicum of common sense. Rules are there for a reason as you say, and they should be upheld. Things are not always black and white , it’s then that you expect the person in charge to make good judgement and deal with the situation. On this occasion, in my opinion, her judgement was poor. Underage drinking is illegal, if she felt that strongly about her rules then she should have informed the authorities. Wonder what the police response would have been ???
Old 28-01-2008, 22:20   #59
Resting in Peace

I don't think it makes any difference whether Tesco sell this drink to 5 year olds or not, nothing to do with the school rules. They say no beer, no beer it should be !

My grandaughter's school didn't allow fizzy drinks in packed lunches of any sort.... mind you, if I had my way, wouldn't allow packed lunches at all .. but OK .. another subject we have covered before.

On the surface, the school does seem to have been a little hard on this lad, however, we do not know what attitude he adopted to his teacher when confronted, do we ? Might have given her a load of lip.

Just seen your post HR. Same thing eh ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 22:22   #60
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Oy, on behalf of all 43 year olds, I take offence at that!
No need to take offence Gayle, you do look a tad better than she does

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..