Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2008, 20:51   #31

Re: Suspended for drinking... shandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
The kids shouldn't be ingesting whiteboard markers.
Zero tolerance in my book would be that no alcohol would be allowed on the premisses, be it for consumtion, ingesting or otherwise
Old 28-01-2008, 20:55   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
The Mother, do you remember her? earlier in this post she was being insulted for how she looks, probably went to the press hoping that liberal minded people would agree that banning shandy is not only silly but moronic, the fact that you agree with the morons that run the school without any form of common sense makes you a?

-----

Please print out and fill in, (you may take a Dictionary in to this test), what this makes you!

If however it proves too difficult,
I can make it a multi-choice question.
a/ Moron.
B/ Maroon
3:Martini not stirred but shaken, (I'll have it at play time thank you Miss MoneyPenny!).
So it was the mother who went to the press? I thought so. Who else would it have been. Like you say, she probably did it thinking she'd be in for some sympathy from other parents. If so then she's a very unintelligent woman who thinks that rules only apply to others. That, to me, is evidence of a moron.

How can I be a moron for suggesting that school rules be upheld? I assume I have got the multiple choice question right and that you were not calling me a maroon or a martini.

As I said before, if the school's policies don't suit her she should send her child elsewhere but she strikes me as the sort of person who will always find some rule to bleat about, be it the contents of lunchboxes, hairstyles, earrings, uniform etc.
Old 28-01-2008, 21:17   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
dont really matter if the mother is 30 stone, this is a soft drink n rank stupidity,by over the top fools.
well theres obviously 2 of these joined this thread.
Old 28-01-2008, 21:27   #34
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
So it was the mother who went to the press? I thought so. Who else would it have been. Like you say, she probably did it thinking she'd be in for some sympathy from other parents. If so then she's a very unintelligent woman who thinks that rules only apply to others. That, to me, is evidence of a moron.

How can I be a moron for suggesting that school rules be upheld? I assume I have got the multiple choice question right and that you were not calling me a maroon or a martini.

As I said before, if the school's policies don't suit her she should send her child elsewhere but she strikes me as the sort of person who will always find some rule to bleat about, be it the contents of lunchboxes, hairstyles, earrings, uniform etc.
Congratulations, you have just been moved up in my estimation, I was thinking perhaps I had been a little harsh in my statements earlier, but somehow you have managed to prove them correct, that I didn't think you capable of!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 21:31   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

seems mother teresa has not read the article through, as the mother said she would abide by the ruling. while she thinks shes bleating, i would say that is infinatly better than being a "walkover" when summat is so obviously stupid.
Old 28-01-2008, 21:35   #36
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Rules are rules.

Common sense is one thing Wynonie but every milimetre relaxation of a rule starts to add up. Little things - the first swear word on TV was shock horror, then the rule got flouted and flouted until now it's common place - the first earring was ignored now children as young as five are going in with earrings. Yes, common sense is good and the school should have simply sent a letter home and asked the mum not to send shandy again, but the rule should be upheld.
Like most people, I would assume that zero tolerance on alcohol applies to beers, ciders, lagers, alcopops, spirits, wines...in fact, all the products which can only be sold on licensed premises to those who are 18+. To apply it to products which are officially classified as non-alcoholic (it is literally impossible to for any normal person, even a child, to become the slightest bit intoxicated on shandy - that's why anyone can buy it and why it can be sold in any shop) is pedantic in the extreme. Supposing the headmistress brings in a bottle of nail varnish remover in her handbag, or a member of staff offers a box of chocolate liqueurs round the staff room? Should they be sent home? After all, "rules are rules".

I also don't think the parallels you draw hold water (or anything stronger!). To go from saying one offensive word on TV to another would appear to be quite easy...you are just doing the same thing again and again. However, to say that allowing a can of shandy into school one day would make it more difficult to stop someone bringing in a can of Kronenbourg the next day is not the case. There is a huge difference between the two - one product is a licensed drink, the other is a soft drink...seems blindingly obvious to me!
Old 28-01-2008, 21:37   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
seems mother teresa has not read the article through, as the mother said she would abide by the ruling. while she thinks shes bleating, i would say that is infinatly better than being a "walkover" when summat is so obviously stupid.
I have read the article. The mother says that she will abide by the rules in future. She didn't in this case though, did she?
Old 28-01-2008, 21:40   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
seems blindingly obvious to me!
If common sense came in a can it would have your name on it!
Old 28-01-2008, 21:42   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

its a soft drink in a can, any 5 yr old can purchase at any shop and consume,are we now using your logic to prosecute the shopkeeper?
Old 28-01-2008, 21:43   #40
God Member

IF it was that bad they wouldnt sell it in the 'pop' section, it would be with the alcohol
Old 28-01-2008, 21:46   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post

I also don't think the parallels you draw hold water (or anything stronger!). To go from saying one offensive word on TV to another would appear to be quite easy...you are just doing the same thing again and again. However, to say that allowing a can of shandy into school one day would make it more difficult to stop someone bringing in a can of Kronenbourg the next day is not the case. There is a huge difference between the two - one product is a licensed drink, the other is a soft drink...seems blindingly obvious to me!
I think the parallels Gayle drew are good. A child wouldn't be allowed to carry a light knife or smoke a light cigarette in school so why would they be allowed to drink a light shandy?

Rules are there for a reason and once you start relaxing them in a school setting it causes no end of bother and there is anarchy. It is pointless having rules in school if they are not going to be rigidly stuck to.

Can anyone tell me why some parents send their child to a particular school and then try to flout the school rules?

If you don't agree with the school rules, no problem. We don't all have the same opinion in life but this is the way things are done at this school.
If that doesn't suit you then go elsewhere.
Old 28-01-2008, 21:49   #42

Quote:
I think the parallels Gayle drew are good. A child wouldn't be allowed to carry a light knife or smoke a light cigarette in school so why would they be allowed to drink a light shandy?
Because Shandy Is Classed As Non Alcoholic, That's Why Children Can Buy it!!!!!!!!
Old 28-01-2008, 21:51   #43
Super Moderator

Quote:
If common sense came in a can it would have your name on it!
Cheers, Less, but you haven't seen me after a few beers!

...talking of which, I believe that the town centre streets, like this school, operate a zero tolerance policy on alcohol - ie if you're caught drinking it, you're liable for a fine. Does anybody seriously think that if you walked down Broadway, swigging a can of shandy, you'd have your collar felt?
Old 28-01-2008, 21:52   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

the school rules prohibit alcohol n rightly so, this is not alcoholic never mind the crap printed on the can, nobody in there right mind would say that drink is alcoholic, he had been taking this stuff to school for months n nothing said,n a normal mum would not have dreamt it was breaking any rules, is that clear enough for you.
Old 28-01-2008, 21:53   #45
God Member

Quote:
Because Shandy Is Classed As Non Alcoholic, That's Why Children Can Buy it!!!!!!!!

I'm not disputing the fact that children can buy it but the school do not allow it to be consumed on their premises!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..