Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2008, 22:52   #91
God Member

Re: Suspended for drinking... shandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
right 1 question for lilly n kate, would you honestly have known that this soft drink was prohibited at school, if this story had not broke?

I wouldn't know anything about that particular school if I hadn't read the article. Each school has their own varying rules. I don't know what the policies re alcohol is in my kids school or what their position is re shandy.
Accrington Web
Old 28-01-2008, 22:52   #92
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Maybe you can answer my question. I've asked it several times but no-one is taking me on.

Why would you send your children to a school whose policies you don't agree with? Why not send them to one whose rules you do approve of? Things don't need to be illegal to be banned in school.

Some schools have banned sweets and chocolates in lunch boxes, some schools have banned wacky haircuts. Each school has their own slightly different rules.
the woman DID NOT know n when she did she complied, yer wernt a ghostwriter fer Mein Kampf were you?
Old 28-01-2008, 22:55   #93
God Member

Quote:
the woman DID NOT know n when she did she complied, yer wernt a ghostwriter fer Mein Kampf were you?
Of course she knew.

And if she didn't then she can't have read the school's prospectus properly.
Old 28-01-2008, 22:55   #94
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I wouldn't know anything about that particular school if I hadn't read the article. Each school has their own varying rules. I don't know what the policies re alcohol is in my kids school or what their position is re shandy.
thats the point YOU dont know yer kids schools policys n neither did this woman, n even knowing it would never think this drink was banned,cos its a soft drink.
Old 28-01-2008, 22:55   #95
Give, give, give member

The boy should be taken into care.

If his mother didn't buy him crappy fizzy drinks for lunch, his spots would heal up, and he wouldn't have been shamed by having his photograph in the national press.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 22:55   #96
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
We will never know will we Willow. Sure, you would request they didn't drink it again.
Actually the choice is up to them. If they personally felt that it didn't qualify as alcohol then considering it is legally a non-alcoholic drink I would leave it up to them. I don't know that it would prevent them from obtaining a Temple Recommend. They would need to discuss that with the Lord and with their Bishop. I know people in the church who cook with alcohol because the cooking process presumably burns off all the alcohol content but personally I choose not to to be on the safe side yet I don't criticise them for doing so.

Emzie once accidentally drank coffee at school because she didn't know what it was. I didn't make a scene at the school about it. I just quietly and politely asked them not to offer it to her again. Just as the school could have quietly and politely asked this lad not to bring shandy again. That is the point I am trying to make. I don't believe the school wilfully set out to make my daughter go against church teachings any more than I think this lad wilfully set out to break school rules.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 22:56   #97
Super Moderator

Quote:
Maybe you can answer my question. I've asked it several times but no-one is taking me on.

Why would you send your children to a school whose policies you don't agree with? Why not send them to one whose rules you do approve of? Things don't need to be illegal to be banned in school.
I would imagine that, like most people, she didn't think that sending the lad to school with a can of Lemonade Shandy would cause him to fall foul of a no alcohol rule. And now she knows, she's not sending him with any more of the stuff. She's just highlighting the sheer stupidity of it.
Old 28-01-2008, 22:57   #98
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The boy should be taken into care.

If his mother didn't buy him crappy fizzy drinks for lunch, his spots would heal up, and he wouldn't have been shamed by having his photograph in the national press.

Old 28-01-2008, 22:57   #99
God Member

Quote:
thats the point YOU dont know yer kids schools policys n neither did this woman, n even knowing it would never think this drink was banned,cos its a soft drink.
I personally would not send my kids to school with shandy or any other fizzy drinks. They don't have those sorts of drinks.

Just out of interest I shall endeavour to find out our school's alcohol policy.
Old 28-01-2008, 22:59   #100
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Of course she knew.

And if she didn't then she can't have read the school's prospectus properly.

Yes 'of course' she knew that alcohol was banned. But lemonade shandy in these cans is not legally alcohol. It is classified alongside Tango, CocaCola, Pepsi, Sprite, 7UP etc etc etc. It is sold from the same chiller cabinet. It is not sold alongside the alcohol because it is not classed as alcohol. Now if the school rules had specified "no alcohol or lemonade shandy" you might have a point.

Old 28-01-2008, 23:00   #101
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I personally would not send my kids to school with shandy or any other fizzy drinks. They don't have those sorts of drinks.

Just out of interest I shall endeavour to find out our school's alcohol policy.
neither did mine, but some kids did n i didn't knock it, but alcohol policy or not how can a legal soft drink be classed as alcohol legally?
Old 28-01-2008, 23:01   #102
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:

Why would you send your children to a school whose policies you don't agree with? Why not send them to one whose rules you do approve of?
I would not send them to a school I did not agree with the rules. I agree with the no alcohol thing, it is obvious as they are all underage (unless they have a 6th form). I just think that shandy is not classed as an alcoholic drink by the law so the school should not class it as such. We used to sell shandy in the can machine at work and have a no drinking on site ban in place.
Old 28-01-2008, 23:01   #103
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Don't believe this for one minute Cashy, nor do I believe that the lad didn't know. To me was not worth taking the risk even if it is sold next to soft drinks at Tesco.

I reckon this lad was probably showing off with it anyway, (probably pretending it was potent) and caused another lad to snitch on him.

Anyway, we are never going to agree on this point, and I believe that parents should support the schools as much as possible and try and come to some sort of understanding of what happened, instead of reporting them to the media, even if she did state she 'complied'.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 23:02   #104
Resident Waffler

What about Ginger Beer? Ginger Ale? Root Beer? Are they all banned too because they have the word 'beer' or 'ale' in the name?

Old 28-01-2008, 23:03   #105
God Member

Maybe a daft question .........is there such a thing as "Alcohol free Shandy" like fat free cheese cake and de-caf esspresso ?
oxymorons I know ....
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..