Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2008, 22:38   #76

Re: Suspended for drinking... shandy

zero tolerance to alcohol drinks or products
Accrington Web
Old 28-01-2008, 22:40   #77
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
They did take gripe water off the market ya' know, because it contained 0.2% alchohol !
So, do you reckon they're going to take shandy off the market anytime soon?
Old 28-01-2008, 22:40   #78
Resident Waffler

Quote:
They did take gripe water off the market ya' know, because it contained 0.2% alchohol !
Really? I thought they just made an alcohol free version alongside the other version for people like me.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 22:40   #79
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
It's a good job they didn't actually say no beer, as by your pedantically literal interpretation of the rules, there'd be kids arriving at school with bottles of vodka stuffed in their blazer pockets. The policy was zero tolerance on alcohol. Shandy is officially classfied as a non-alcoholic product, that's why it's a non-licensed line. Can't make it any clearer!
Low content I agree, but still has ALCHOHOL in it, and therefore falls within the school's rules.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 22:41   #80
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
It's a good job they didn't actually say no beer, as by your pedantically literal interpretation of the rules, there'd be kids arriving at school with bottles of vodka stuffed in their blazer pockets. The policy was zero tolerance on alcohol. Shandy is officially classfied as a non-alcoholic product, that's why it's a non-licensed line. Can't make it any clearer!
Shandy doesn't contain enough alcohol to be officially classed as an alcoholic drink but nevertheless it does contain alcohol and this school has a no alcohol rule.

If you think it's a silly rule then send your kids to another school. That's the way things are done at that school, send your kids elsewhere if it doesn't sit well with you.

What's the betting that it's a good school and the mother doesn't want her child to go to another school yet doesn't want to accept all the rules at this one.
As my grandma used to say.....wanting the ha'penny and the cake?
Old 28-01-2008, 22:42   #81
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
And how do you define an alcoholic drink? The law clearly defines this as a non-alcoholic drink otherwise it would only be on sale to those over 18.
I agree willow. If it was my kid I would take it to the school goveners. if that did not work I would try the education authority. If the law says it is a soft drink then how can some daft head teacher say different?

I am off head teachers at the moment but that is a different story.
Old 28-01-2008, 22:42   #82
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post

My girls would probably say 'no thank you' if they saw the reference to beer but if they didn't notice that and did drink it thinking it was just a lemonade drink I don't think I'd create merry hell over it.
We will never know will we Willow. Sure, you would request they didn't drink it again.
Old 28-01-2008, 22:44   #83

take all alcohol pruducts away from school and you would be back to chalk boards
Old 28-01-2008, 22:44   #84
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

right 1 question for lilly n kate, would you honestly have known that this soft drink was prohibited at school, if this story had not broke?
Old 28-01-2008, 22:46   #85
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post

What's the betting that it's a good school and the mother doesn't want her child to go to another school yet doesn't want to accept all the rules at this one.
As my grandma used to say.....wanting the ha'penny and the cake?
She hasn't said she doesn't want to accept the rules. What she has said is that she didn't think she was breaking the rules and now that the ban on this SOFT DRINK has been pointed out to her she will comply with it. She is however complaining, and justifiably in my opinion, that the school behaved in a manner out of proportion to the situation by excluding her son for a day when this was clearly not a case of him openly defying and flouting the rules but of not even being aware that his SOFT DRINK was against the school rules.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 22:47   #86
Super Moderator

Quote:
Low content I agree, but still has ALCHOHOL in it, and therefore falls within the school's rules.
It does if you're going to be pedantic about it, but then again, so do Rum Truffles. It doesn't however, if you're going to approach it in a common sense way. What's the point of this policy?...to stop kids bringing alcoholic (ie licensed) products into school which might get them inebriated and which it's illegal for them to possess, anyway. This drink is legal and is non-intoxicating...can't you see the difference?
Old 28-01-2008, 22:49   #87
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I agree willow. If it was my kid I would take it to the school goveners. if that did not work I would try the education authority. If the law says it is a soft drink then how can some daft head teacher say different?

I am off head teachers at the moment but that is a different story.

Maybe you can answer my question. I've asked it several times but no-one is taking me on.

Why would you send your children to a school whose policies you don't agree with? Why not send them to one whose rules you do approve of? Things don't need to be illegal to be banned in school.

Some schools have banned sweets and chocolates in lunch boxes, some schools have banned wacky haircuts. Each school has their own slightly different rules.
Old 28-01-2008, 22:50   #88
Give, give, give member

Do they still sell sweetie cigarettes and sweetie tobacco?

They still sell wine gums though.

Wonder what the school policy is on getting off your head on them?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 22:50   #89

Where do you get this rule list from anyway, don’t remember being issued with a rule book at Hollins, are parents kept up to date with new rulings ?
Old 28-01-2008, 22:51   #90
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
right 1 question for lilly n kate, would you honestly have known that this soft drink was prohibited at school, if this story had not broke?
I definitely would not have allowed my lad to have taken it to school (mind you fizzy drinks ban anyway), as am not very ofay with the alcoholic contents of beer, and the school he went to did have very strict zero tolerance rules.

In fact, think I have refused to get these when he was younger, because I was unsure.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..