Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree679Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-07-2014, 19:34   #3976
Beacon of light

Re: The Tories

There were few sensitivities about such things back then.
It is history......what happened.
It is only now that people go about wringing their hands and apologising.

What I don't get is how can you apologise for something that you were not guilty of...that you were not even born to see...doesn't such behaviour make all apologies shallow and of no value?
Lucysgirl likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-07-2014, 19:45   #3977

Maybe it's like karma. They are now getting their own back, what goes around comes around that sort of thing. Now we are the poor people being taken over and used!!!
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 19:58   #3978
Beacon of light

With the complicity of governments...past and present.
Old 19-07-2014, 20:00   #3979
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysgirl View Post
Don't you feel a trifle narked that in former centuries when the population outstripped the market the government of the day used to pack people off overseas with a gift of a parcel of land waiting for them.
Nope I had nothing to do with it, I live in the here and now.

I had nothing to do with enslaving blacks, killing Jews, taking Australia from it's natural inhabitants and far more human atrocities than could fit into this thread.

But I do try to make sense in the majority of my posts.

DO YOU?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 20:05   #3980
Beacon of light

Less, I will happily hold my hand up for the things that I have done...like you I live in the here and now.
I cannot see how apologising for things that I had no part in, can make those whose countries were colonised feel better.
Less and Lucysgirl like this.
Old 19-07-2014, 20:13   #3981
Senior Member+

The Tories

Way before we conquered other lands, we were conquered by the Romans. So while they flood Britain, can we all sod off to Italy and live off the taxes of the Italians?
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 20:37   #3982

Re: Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Less, I will happily hold my hand up for the things that I have done...like you I live in the here and now.
I cannot see how apologising for things that I had no part in, can make those whose countries were colonised feel better.
Somehow, I get the feeling she just wanted to divert the conversation rather than admit she was talking out of her arse when talking about introducing indigenous people to the work force.
We, the indigenous Tories know there is less work in us than a sick note, that is why we need immigration!
Let them do the work, after all that's what we trained them for when we had an Empire!
Alan Varrechia likes this.
Old 19-07-2014, 22:59   #3983

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Its says:

It's based on GDP, the amount of income generated in the country in a given year.

Divided by the number of people in the UK, this income is still about 6% lower today than in 2008.

So if the number of people in the country go up it will affect the figure
BBC News - Net migration into UK increases - Office for National Statistics

Immigration is negligible despite the doom mongering media channels 4 and 5, with their constant stream of foreign rip off artists and con men..you only need to read the local papers to find the equivalent brits doing exactly the same.

Most immigrants come in to work (admittedly for less money and more hours which they promptly send home or save for their education..go talk to any Blackpool hotel worker)..this actually increases the meaningless massaged GDP figures bandied about by successive governments....

The point our scottish friend is making is that this government is artificially holding down wages using a recession caused by the incompetence of rich bankers playing with pieces of paper like 5 year olds play monopoly, stealing Ł500 from the bank when they think nobody is looking.

You can argue that all politicians are the same....but this lot are specifically targeting the weak, the helpless and the working man to ensure their wealthy mates make even more money.

Any Scot with half a brain ( C'mon obviously don't fit this group ) will vote for independence away from a bastardised, corrupt, old fashioned and out of touch westminster government that has no concept of what its like living in todays Britain.
Alan Varrechia likes this.
Old 20-07-2014, 06:25   #3984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
The trouble is the land normally belonged to an indigenous people that we at some point had conquered.

I'm nodding my head in agreement .......... plus we elbowed aside the native fauna. I have an immigrant ancestor who came here in 1860s plus I'm pretty certain that one of my branches is descended from an invading tribe which was fighting for territory in the Borders in the 600s.

Thank goodness we're more civilised these days - some of us just insult each other on forums lol.
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 06:27   #3985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Somehow, I get the feeling she just wanted to divert the conversation rather than admit she was talking out of her arse when talking about introducing indigenous people to the work force.
We, the indigenous Tories know there is less work in us than a sick note, that is why we need immigration!
Let them do the work, after all that's what we trained them for when we had an Empire!
Unfortunately that was my bad grammar.
Old 20-07-2014, 07:56   #3986
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post

You can argue that all politicians are the same....but this lot are specifically targeting the weak, the helpless and the working man to ensure their wealthy mates make even more money.
And the last lot cynically encouraged immigration as a way of increasing their voting base.....not only that they encouraged welfare claims, again so that people became dependent( as opposed to fostering independence and aspiration).
Those they made dependent on them were unlikely to cast their vote for any other party which would remove the benefits that the dependants had grown used to.
Being dependent on hand outs from the state damages your confidence in your ability to be responsible for yourself.

The Labour Party did a lot of social engineering, social experimentation without any thought for the consequences. Maybe by this time the had realised that what they were leaving for another party(Tory)....another government(Tory) was a poisoned chalice.
So I will continue to reiterate that no politician is in politics for what he can do for me and thee.....only what he can do for himself.

Also,we are fooled into thinking that we have a democracy....But if voting changed anything they would stop us from doing it.
All voting does is give politicians someone they think they can blame when the brown stuff hits the fan.

Last edited by Neil; 20-07-2014 at 09:37. Reason: fix quote
Old 20-07-2014, 08:13   #3987

Quote:
Thank goodness we're more civilised these days - some of us just insult each other on forums lol.
Perhaps, had you said this:-
Quote:
Unfortunately that was my bad grammar.
Instead of trying to cloud the issue with this:-

Quote:
Don't you feel a trifle narked that in former centuries when the population outstripped the market the government of the day used to pack people off overseas with a gift of a parcel of land waiting for them.
You wouldn't be feeling insulted now?
Old 20-07-2014, 11:09   #3988
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
can someone explain what % means?
In politico terms, wind yer neck in & do as your "betters" say! I hope this helps your understanding Mr confused of Accrington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
can we all sod off to Italy and live off the taxes of the Italians?
Taxes?? In Italy??? Think you'd be hard pushed with that little plan, didn't old Silvio & his mates "Bunga-Bunga" what there was on juicy Lucys &their likes.
Old 20-07-2014, 12:12   #3989

Quote:
Perhaps, had you said this:-

Instead of trying to cloud the issue with this:-

You wouldn't be feeling insulted now?
Ooops - looks like my sense of humour is on a different page than yours.

I was raised in Wm Wilberforce land and abhor slavery. I'll leave you to put your own interpretation on that.
Old 20-07-2014, 12:40   #3990

I don't see why you should assume that you are exclusive in your abhorrence of slavery, it is right and proper for all decent humans to think that way.
However even the Tories can't be blamed for it's continued existence, so it was just thrown in to paper over the cracks in your indigenous theory.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..