Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-06-2005, 07:34   #61
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: What a load of RUBBISH!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Incidentally, yesterday I put cardboard on top of the bin and that went........
You are not supposed to put cardboard into your grey bin. It is the only side waste the council will take at the moment (officially). If you put your cardboard into a bag and leave it next to your bin they will take it. I have collected enough card in a fortnight to half fill my grey bin sometimes ( othertimes hardly any). It surprises me how much card I throw away. HBC are not yet recycling card but hope to sometime.
Old 16-06-2005, 12:05   #62
Resident Waffler

They may not be recycling it but they do put it in a separate skip up at Whinney Hill. The reason I mentioned both the cardbord and the bag of coathangers is that one was "acceptable" and the other "unacceptable" and yet both were taken! There's a lack of consistency when they ar fining some people for having more than a bin's worth.. My view is that if it's rubbish and presented as rubbish and obviously not disposable any other way (such as recycling) then it should be taken away with the rubbish.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2005, 12:21   #63
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
My view is that if it's rubbish and presented as rubbish and obviously not disposable any other way (such as recycling) then it should be taken away with the rubbish.
I'm with you all the way on this one willow, just after World War 2 I bought a second-hand battleship (it was going cheap the Germans were having a closing down sale), my plan was to float it on the canal at week-ends much to my disappointment when I got it home I found that the canal is non-tidal thus resulting in it not being deep enough.

It won't fit in my bin, I have left it by the side of the bin for a number of weeks and the binmen have blatently refused to take it, we have not been issued with either a bag or a box that can be used to re-cycle several thousand tons of steel so it is obviously rubbish, I wish one of the pen-pushers down at the town hall would stop sending me threatening letters and do something about it!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2005, 12:37   #64
I am Banned

B4 ,C4,D4,E4

Ille sink your battleship less lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2005, 12:52   #65
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
B4 ,C4,D4,E4

Ille sink your battleship less lol
B4 you get carried away, C4 yourself, D4 main reasons you missed, E4 the love of mike I wouldn't put my battleship in such an obvious position!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2005, 12:55   #66
Resident Waffler

You been sleeping in the knife drawer Less?

Old 16-06-2005, 17:32   #67
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Here is todays update on the rubbish. You guessed it, it is still there. Some of it now has orange notices attatched proclaiming that it has been seen by an inspector and that some prosecutions may be pending. It may have been seen but it has not been moved. If the powers that be knew about this on Monday it has taken 4 days for anyone to actually turn up and view the rubbish. How long will it be before it is removed? It has now been there for 7 days.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2005, 08:36   #68
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i wonder if the orange notices are classed as rubbish- they should be this is RED TAPE gone mad,its as easy to throw it in a van and take it to the council yard then inspect it at lesiure,also surely more cost effective.
Old 17-06-2005, 09:19   #69
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

HURRAY!!!!!!!

As of first thing this morning the offending pile of rubbish has gone. I'm sure that we can all sleep easier knowing that it takes 8 days to remove potential health hazards in this borough.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2005, 10:58   #70
Senior Member+

Good news lettie, no doubt some one else will come along and leave more rubbish, cause they now know the council will eventually take it.
Old 17-06-2005, 12:32   #71
Resident Waffler

About time too.

Old 17-06-2005, 12:36   #72
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet
Good news lettie, no doubt some one else will come along and leave more rubbish, cause they now know the council will eventually take it.
Good idea janet - its closer for me than Whinny Hill
Old 17-06-2005, 14:54   #73
I am Band

Question Re: What a load of RUBBISH!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Jones
...Thingshave been made more complicated because our excellent EH Officer Lee Haworth is leaving [another jumping from the 'good ship Tory'].
Please do tell us, Mr Jones why is it that you always appear to attempt to turn the majority of your posts into a political mud-slinging exercise???

If I remember rightly, the thread was asking, "Why if the bin-men have a refuse wagon parked next to a pile of rubbish, whilst emptying the wheelie bins, why the hell can they not be ar$ed to the remove the afore mentioned pile of rubbish?"

It is clear to see from this example that HBC's prime objective, regardless of which party is in power, is not keeping the streets clean, but keeping some jobsworth in office.

The residents of Hyndburn are not interested in mealy-mouthed excuses trying to justify council policies that are evidently not working. All we ask for is that our streets are cleaned in the fastest and most efficient manner possible! Having a large pile of rubbish languishing on a town centre street corner for eight days, whilst a paper-chasing exercise is put into motion to apportion blame is not efficient.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!

Last edited by Sparkologist; 17-06-2005 at 18:51. Reason: Typo error.
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2005, 15:29   #74
I am Banned

well said sparkologist the current system does not work and threatening people with huge fines only gets peoples backs up

perhaps the council would get more respect if it stopped wasting our money on stupid things and actualy put our money to good use

the only bin that HBC and its cronies needs is the loony bin and maybe we can recycle the lot of them and get new ones who will look after our interests

it has become so bad that when voting people no longer vote for who will do their best for them but who they think will screw them the least

how do you become a councilor anyway ime half temepted to give it a go myself so there is at least one voice of reason down at HBC

i prommise to give all who need extra bins extra bins and abolish the £1000 fine for those that cant help but have that 1 extra bag of rubbish at the end of 2 weeks

vote chav1 you know it makes sense
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2005, 15:38   #75
God Member

I've got to agree Sparko. Councillor Jones appears more concerned with political tittle-tattle rather than the simplest of local authority roles, namely that of keeping the streets clean and the bins emptied. Certainly, as regards the latter, there is no big secret....binmen should be instructed to pick up whatever rubbish is there, promptly and irrespective if whether its in a black bag or in a wheelie bin. The issue of the prosecution of fly tipping is a seperate matter and should be dealt with accordingly. By comparison to the waste collections of other local authorities,(of which I am well aware) HBC really do not appear up to the job.I don't think there is 'owt else to be said.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..