Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-06-2005, 20:43   #91

Re: What a load of RUBBISH!!!!!!!

With all the respect owing Cllr Jones only my wife and I live at our house we do recycle and agree totally with it "BUT" We have noticed that at the end of 2 weeks our grey bin is almost at bursting piont. The same applies to the blue box, the blue sack and the white sack. If this is the case for us then anyone with a couple of kids must really struggle. A family of 6 with the extra garbage caused by young kids must feel that they are on a hiding to nothing. Some of these people who make these statements ie. a wheelie bin should be large enough to accomodate rubbish from a family of six are honestly living in cloud cuckoo land and probably are university grads with loads of degrees but very lacking in common sense, never having experienced bringing up a family. These people doing the complaining have the experience and are telling you the truth. Maybe it is time for you and HBC to listen to it's residents and take on board what they say. After all if 6 people say you look ill its time to lay down.

Last edited by fireman; 17-06-2005 at 20:44.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-06-2005, 21:45   #92
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Jones
Labour has said that if we win, black bags at the side will be collected. Whew!! just another 3 thousand times to repeat it now....
I can't believe you would ever do that ( take the extra bags that is ).
If you did the recycling system would just fall apart. I believe the vast majority of homes would just fill extra bags and recycle nothing just because it is easy.
Anyway what would be the point in having wheelie bins if you are going to take bin bags? Bin bags cause a lot of the rubbish we see blowing around the streets ( thanks to cats and idiots puting them out days early ).

Last edited by Neil; 17-06-2005 at 21:55.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2005, 21:48   #93

I agree that would be taking the easy way out. Listen to what is being said and act on that.
Old 17-06-2005, 21:49   #94
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
only my wife and I live at our house we do recycle and agree totally with it "BUT" We have noticed that at the end of 2 weeks our grey bin is almost at bursting piont.
We have 3 children and we manage ok with one grey bin. I see other houses with smaller families and there bins have a couple of black bags on top with the lid open. I think that a lot of people are still not trying to recycle. Cardboard is a big bin filler yet people are still putting it in grey bins.

I must admit that I uaually have to squash the rubbish down in the bin.
Old 19-06-2005, 07:17   #95
Resting in Peace

They were quick enough to clean up outside the town hall after the Accrington Carnival
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clean up.jpg (74.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg town hall clean up.jpg (54.4 KB, 13 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2005, 07:36   #96
I am Banned

shoulda taken the christmas lights down while the were at it
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2005, 09:14   #97

Must admit Neil we don't leap aboard and squash it down but it.s always full after two weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
We have 3 children and we manage ok with one grey bin. I see other houses with smaller families and there bins have a couple of black bags on top with the lid open. I think that a lot of people are still not trying to recycle. Cardboard is a big bin filler yet people are still putting it in grey bins.

I must admit that I uaually have to squash the rubbish down in the bin.
Old 19-06-2005, 09:52   #98
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
Must admit Neil we don't leap aboard and squash it down but it.s always full after two weeks.
Me neither, but I know a man that does. He comes on here as well
Old 19-06-2005, 09:54   #99

Sad. Isn't it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Me neither, but I know a man that does. He comes on here as well
Old 19-06-2005, 14:07   #100
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

its not sad ian its downright annoying,most 2weeks its enough,but sometimes its not an i have to squash it down,to make room and as i;m getting near the coffin dodger stage i know its getting near to when i will not be able to climb up,
Old 19-06-2005, 16:26   #101
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Jones
When you bash HBC you mean the Conservatives - lets be more precise when holding people accountable.
As someone with a fairly respectable record of HBC bashing and a fairly accurate aim I feel I must disagree with Graham on this point. At the risk of being called anti-establishment I would like to point out that I use the acronym HBC to mean all of it's constituent councillors, officers, accountants, secretaries, receptionists, employees and Uncle Tom Cobbly and all!

The reason being, as my late and unlamented father was often heard to comment, "They all p*ss in the same pot!" To which I would add that I would not trust any of you to sit the right way round on a lavatory, nor would I trust any of you to organise the proverbial brewery entertainment, unless closley supervised by a responsible adult.

I must say I am getting a little weary of it always being someone else's fault, whatever the problem is. I thought that we left that sort of behaviour behind us in the school playground.

Lets get one thing straight. The impetus for the change in the way refuse is collected, handled and disposed of comes straight from Central Government via Lancashire County Council, which, unless I am very much mistaken, are Labour controlled. In this light it would seem a little disingenuous of Graham now to be insisting that if Labour had control of the HBC they would do things differently.

Bad organisation is bad organisation pure and simple. HBC are charged with collecting and disposing of the rubbish in the borough and they are making a dogs breakfast of it. Graham is an elected member of HBC and so must shoulder his fair share of the opprobrium heaped on that dysfunctional authority.

And while we are on the subject, can graham explain exactly why it is not acceptable for bin men to pick up any additional or extraneous waste they happen across in their day to day duties? I don't want to know whose fault it is, or how labour would do it differently, or what a pile of festering dog poo the leader of the conservative group is. I, and I assume many others, would like a straight answer for once and in plain English too, if that is not asking too much!

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 19-06-2005 at 16:39.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2005, 17:04   #102
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I would love it if our rubbish could just be taken away on collection day whether it's in a wheelie bin or a bag. I'm sick to death of complaining every time we are left with a festering mess on our streets. I really couldn't give a fiddlers fart as to whose fault it is and I'm sick of every thread turning into a political point scoring exercise. If the refuse collectors are given instructions not to remove bags, how come they are removed from some areas of town and not from others? I don't care who instigates change in the system in order to improve it as long as it is consistent throughout the borough.

All I would like is to be able to walk to the bottom of my street without dodging ripped open bin bags, broken glass, chewing gum and rat droppings. This is not too much to ask.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2005, 17:42   #103
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
If the refuse collectors are given instructions not to remove bags, how come they are removed from some areas of town and not from others?
Perhaps on the days the bin-men don't pick the black sacks up are when they have a supervisor with them? After all they would probably get a warning, but then when they are left to their own devices & unsupervised they can take a bit of pride in their job and try to do it properly.

It'sa nice thought isn't it? But unfortunately we don't seem to have any-one out there willing to tell us what our refuse collectors would like to do.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2005, 19:56   #104
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Surely amoungst our many members on accyweb there must be a binman/refuse collector, or if you know one get them to come on here and give the real story to us all. For the record I have to climb on my bin and squash the rubbish down even with recycling and placing my cardboard in a separate bag at the side.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2005, 21:57   #105
I am Banned

i wonder if you can sue HBC if you get hurt trying to comply to their rules lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..