Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 15:43   #196
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Windfarm anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Well how did the economy seven system work then....I thought it stored electricity overnight to use during the day.
Yes, I have always thought the electric cars were a bit daft.........after all the power still has to be generated, but hope is on the horizon...I'm sure I read that someone has made an engine that runs on water....causes no pollution and is 'green'.

Economy seven does not store electricity. Coal fired power stations can't be switched off quickly so there is often an excess of power at night so they encourage people to use more at night and less during the day by selling it to you cheaper. You pre heat storage heaters and hot water cylinders at night and use that heat and hot water during the day.

Storage heaters have always been rubbish in my opinion, I have lived in a few houses with them.
Old 01-03-2013, 15:46   #197
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Hydroelectric plants like the one in Wales are used to sort of store electricity. When they have spare power they pump water up the hill, when they need electricity the water up the hill turns the turbines on its way back down.
That's not storing electricity- it's storing water so you can use it to generate part of the electricity you used to pump it back up in the first place.
They don't have 'spare' power- they buy cheap electricity at night rates from conventional power stations to pump the water up and sell electricity to the grid during the day when it's needed at higher rates- that's how they pay for themselves.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 15:53   #198
Senior Member+

fossil fuel is dead!

join me on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/61983378@N07/
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 16:12   #199
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
fossil fuel is dead!
couldnt decide on either of these resposes so posting both

response 1: lol

response 2 : thanks to thatcher

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 16:17   #200
God Member

Wireless electricity - would have been free, but Nikola Teslas's sponsor withdrew financial support for the invention because "where would we put the meter?".

Free electricity is not compatible with our present capitalist system (based on oil/gas)
Nikola Tesla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This video is long and very technical - the mention of free wireless electricity is at about 24 to 27 minutes in the video.

PS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_energy_suppression

Last edited by MargaretR; 01-03-2013 at 16:26.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 16:53   #201
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I'm sure I read that someone has made an engine that runs on water....causes no pollution and is 'green'.
Hydrogen power = produces water as an exhaust product

BBC World Service - Business Daily, Hydrogen- fuel of the future?

But it has its own difficulties...

BBC News - Hydrogen's energy promise improves
Old 01-03-2013, 18:31   #202
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
fossil fuel is dead!
So how do you get to your favourite walks? Ah, you must walk it or cycle it!
No? So fossil fuel is a long way off dead for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Wireless electricity - would have been free, but Nikola Teslas's sponsor withdrew financial support for the invention because "where would we put the meter?".

Free electricity is not compatible with our present capitalist system (based on oil/gas)]

MargaretR, you're doing it again- you're posting about a man popularly known in his time as 'The Mad Scientist'.
Wireless electricity is about transmission, not generation. You still have to make it before you can transmit it.
And nothing is free in any system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post

Come on susie- you're a scientist. You know full well cheap and freely available hydrogen power is decades off. We can use it to produce power but we can't make it without using far more power than we get back. And how do we make it- break down water using- guess what!
Methane- it's only 12% hydrogen, needs expensive processing and what do you do with the 88% global warming gas you're left with.

Green campaigners are deluding themselves and condemning the rest of us. They're condemning us to less energy, more expensive energy, the loss of all power hungry industry in the UK and a massive drop in our living standards.
China is opening 2 new coal fired power stations every week and they all burn the poorest, lowest grade, most polluting coal(bituminous) available.
India plans another 450+ as soon as possible.
We only have 17 large coal fired stations and we are closing them. China will have replaced them in 2 months.
Do you think our pitiful 20% efficient wind turbines are going to make a jot of difference to that sort of CO2 output?
Alan Varrechia likes this.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 01-03-2013 at 18:34.
Old 01-03-2013, 18:39   #203
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Come on susie- you're a scientist. You know full well cheap and freely available hydrogen power is decades off.
Of course I do, I was merely putting it up for Margaret to look at.

Quote:
Do you think our pitiful 20% efficient wind turbines are going to make a jot of difference to that sort of CO2 output?
No but it's better to do something than nothing. I wish the powers that be would get their act together and get on with nuclear and tidal otherwise the future is pretty bleak.
Old 01-03-2013, 18:52   #204
God Member

Quote:
Wireless electricity is about transmission, not generation. You still have to make it before you can transmit it.
You didn't understand the video, even if you watched it

He generated it too.

PS http://www.damninteresting.com/teslas-tower-of-power/

Last edited by MargaretR; 01-03-2013 at 18:57.
Old 01-03-2013, 19:04   #205
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Economy seven does not store electricity. Coal fired power stations can't be switched off quickly so there is often an excess of power at night so they encourage people to use more at night and less during the day by selling it to you cheaper. You pre heat storage heaters and hot water cylinders at night and use that heat and hot water during the day.

Storage heaters have always been rubbish in my opinion, I have lived in a few houses with them.
Well, that explains it then....I have never lived in a house which had this kind of heating, but when I was working I had colleagues who used this form of heating.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 19:08   #206
Beacon of light

Quote:

BBC News - Hydrogen's energy promise improves
No...Sue....I don't think it was that.......it was water under pressure(I wish now that I had paid a bit more attention - but I was pre-occupied with other things, namely tinlids) and it was someone who had done all the work on it in his garden shed......a lone genius.
I'm sure I didn't dream it.
Old 01-03-2013, 19:32   #207
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
You didn't understand the video, even if you watched it

He generated it too.

PS Tesla's Tower of Power ? Damn Interesting
No, MargaretR, I didn't watch all the video, life is too short.
But I watched minute 23 to 29 and used up a large piece of what's left of my life reading the Wikipedia info.
A brillliant man but some of his ideas very far out.
If you watch that bit of the video again it's talking about transmitting massive amounts of power wirelessly from the mast, not generating it. It never claims he created power from the earth- all the power he generated came from-guess what, mains electric power or mechanically driven generators.
Old 01-03-2013, 19:44   #208
Resting In Peace

Quote:
No...Sue....I don't think it was that.......it was water under pressure(I wish now that I had paid a bit more attention - but I was pre-occupied with other things, namely tinlids) and it was someone who had done all the work on it in his garden shed......a lone genius.
I'm sure I didn't dream it.
Here's some water fuel ideas...

List of water fuel inventions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This one's a fraud...

Stanley Meyer's water fuel cell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-03-2013, 19:45   #209
God Member

Quote:
No, MargaretR, I didn't watch all the video, life is too short.
But I watched minute 23 to 29 and used up a large piece of what's left of my life reading the Wikipedia info.
A brillliant man but some of his ideas very far out.
If you watch that bit of the video again it's talking about transmitting massive amounts of power wirelessly from the mast, not generating it. It never claims he created power from the earth- all the power he generated came from-guess what, mains electric power or mechanically driven generators.
He claimed that it was possible to tap scalar energy from the ionosphere

Old 01-03-2013, 20:18   #210
Beacon of light

Quote:
Sue the story I am talking about is as recent as last year....but I'm damned if I can find anything out about it......mainly because I didn't pay enough attention at the time it was on TV....and No, it wasn't April !st last year

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..