Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-08-2011, 15:13   #151
God Member

Re: Windfarm anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Like you G, I feel that tidal energy would be much more sensible.
The water around our island is forever moving...movement causes energy...energy which we could and should harvest.
Sewage also produces energy...we should use that too.
It would be a marvellous thing to be able to harness that enery - they don't really invest enough in the necessary research though -probably never will while those who control the energy markets and oil are so powerful a lobby. Also on the scientific side, any major intervention of that kind would be bound to have equally major side-effects on the coast line and the various ecosystems which are inter-connected on coastal areas...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-08-2011, 15:16   #152
Beacon of light

I am pretty sure that they could be no worse than the eyesores dotted not just around our green country side, but also placed in the sea off shore....anyway back to the sewage!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 15:19   #153
Beacon of light

Oh yes, and while I am at it...don't most landfill sites produce methane gas?......Why can't that be harnessed too?........Oh yes the guys producing the oil and the eastern european countries selling us the gas(which they could at any point turn off, thereby holding us to ransom) wouldn't like it.
When did we turn into this lily livered lot?
Old 29-08-2011, 15:21   #154
Beacon of light

Successive governments want us to be 'green'...to stave off climate change, and yet they choose the most inefficient means of going about it.
I'll put my soapbox away now I have got that off my chest.
Old 29-08-2011, 18:34   #155
Senior Member+

I was passing the wind farm on Kebs road a few weeks ago and saw the chaps replacing a gear box on the top of one. they really are big things.

Old 29-08-2011, 18:43   #156
Senior Member+

Can't find it now but wasn't there a post saying that the gearboxes burn out(literally) after a short time? So how old is the windfarm on Kebs Road and is this the first g/box to go?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 19:05   #157
Senior Member+

I don't know how long they last but that was the first time I have seen the big crane working up there and I go over once or twice a month.

I found this article in the Todmorden news and pasted part of it.

Coal Clough wind turbine proposal - half numbers, but higher in the sky

Published on Wednesday 21 January 2009 08:34

PROPOSALS to renew wind turbines on moorland above Todmorden are being submitted to neighbouring Burnley Council, a scheme which will cost around Ł30 million.

Scottish Power Renewables are looking to make changes at the site, at Coal Clough, Cliviger - land which although it falls under the Lancashire council's jurisdiction borders Kebs Road above Cornholme and can be clearly seen from several parts of Todmorden.

The company is proposing to reduce the number of turbines, from 22 to 12, but the replacement turbines, although fewer in number, will be up to 100 metres high as opposed to the current turbines which are around 60 metres when the blade tip is at its highest, said a spokesman.

Mr Christie said the existing turbines, which had been in place since about
1992, had reached the end of their life and improvements in technology meant the new turbines would be taller but fewer in number.

Mr Christie said the existing turbines had a 9.4 megawatts of energy capacity while the new turbines would have a capacity of about 20 megawatts of power, the equivalent of 11,500 homes.

Coal Clough, he said, was "a very, very good windfarm, producing some very good figures
Old 29-08-2011, 19:25   #158
Beacon of light

coal clough is a very good windfarm...when the wind is blowing.
Old 29-08-2011, 19:36   #159
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
coal clough is a very good windfarm...when the wind is blowing.
More often than not Margaret, it always seems to be when I go past.
Old 29-08-2011, 19:59   #160
I am Banned

[quote=Gremlin;929879]I don't know how long they last but that was the first time I have seen the big crane working up there and I go over once or twice a month.

Mr Christie said the existing turbines, which had been in place since about
1992, had reached the end of their life and improvements in technology meant the new turbines would be taller but fewer in number.
19 years old, and reached the end of their life.
I wonder how much energy was used in manufacturing them, and how much they have actually produced in their short life.
Are they worth it, or are we being bambozzled again.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 20:25   #161
Beacon of light

Bamboozled sounds about right to me Retlaw.
Old 29-08-2011, 20:50   #162
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
My main objection isn't aesthetic.

I whole heartedly support renewable energy.

I think it much more preferable if it was British companies that were profiting, and that hydro-electric energy is less damaging to the environment.

Oh, and I'd think it 'good' if they rolled out the pedalling prisoner scheme to the work-shy.

Isnt the biggest hydroelectric we have the one in Wales that is not really a power station as such but more of a big water battery?

I agree with both Less and Garinda, its good we are getting them but would be better if it was being done by a British company. If our Government helped out our industry like they do in Germany we might be in better shape here.
Old 29-08-2011, 22:56   #163
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

I agree with both Less and Garinda, its good we are getting them but would be better if it was being done by a British company. If our Government helped out our industry like they do in Germany we might be in better shape here.
Did our government not used to own the energy suppliers? and did a certain "Bitch" not sell em off?
Old 29-08-2011, 23:10   #164
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I am not big on nationalised companies and none of them appear to have been managed very well but I do like the idea of them if that makes sense?
Old 29-08-2011, 23:17   #165
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I am not big on nationalised companies and none of them appear to have been managed very well but I do like the idea of them if that makes sense?
it does to me, if snouts were kept outa the trough, if that makes sense to you.?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..